Women softball program

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

manager65
Chief

Women softball program

Post by manager65 »

I know this may not be the right site to ask this question. But does anyone know why Vandy dont have a women softball program? I believe we are the only school in the SEC that don't have a women program.

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: Women softball program

Post by OldDude »

I suspect cost. Personally if we added a women's sport I would much rather see volleyball which I find more exciting and wouldn't require finding the space for a ball field.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Much cheaper to field a six person bowling team than to field a 25 person softball team. Also, building a field would be more than a bowling alley.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

commadore wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:23 pm Much cheaper to field a six person bowling team than to field a 25 person softball team. Also, building a field would be more than a bowling alley.
But at least if we found room for a field we would be in a sport in the SEC.....unlike bowling where we must endure elevated travel cost going to midwest and mid-atlantic.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We also have women's lacrosse SEC doesn't.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

cjdore wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:18 pm
commadore wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:23 pm Much cheaper to field a six person bowling team than to field a 25 person softball team. Also, building a field would be more than a bowling alley.
But at least if we found room for a field we would be in a sport in the SEC.....unlike bowling where we must endure elevated travel cost going to midwest and mid-atlantic.
Oh I agree. I was just repeating what was stated by the administration at the time bowling was introduced.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I think Lacrosse should be an SEC sport.
Azportsider
Seaman Recruit

Post by Azportsider »

Vandy would not have to look for space nor build a softball field. There are softball fields already in Nashville.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

Azportsider wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:23 pm Vandy would not have to look for space nor build a softball field. There are softball fields already in Nashville.
In order to to truly compete at softball and make it a legit SEC program, Vandy would need a stadium on campus. Being land-locked makes that tough, but there are some options. That being said, we could work with Belmont who plays at Rose Park (within a mile or so of campus) to share that field (public park) while a field is being constructed.

Softball would do well at Vandy, and those scholarships for females might allow us (under Title IX) to start funding a men's track team...which would help out our football recruiting as well. Women's gymnastics would also be a nice addition.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:19 pm
Azportsider wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:23 pm Vandy would not have to look for space nor build a softball field. There are softball fields already in Nashville.
In order to to truly compete at softball and make it a legit SEC program, Vandy would need a stadium on campus. Being land-locked makes that tough, but there are some options. That being said, we could work with Belmont who plays at Rose Park (within a mile or so of campus) to share that field (public park) while a field is being constructed.

Softball would do well at Vandy, and those scholarships for females might allow us (under Title IX) to start funding a men's track team...which would help out our football recruiting as well. Women's gymnastics would also be a nice addition.
The arrangement Belmont did with Metro Parks for use of Rose Park was good for Belmont, the city and the Edgehill neighborhood. And as you say, it's only a mile from VU.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They could use existing local fields on an interim basis, but there would have to be a plan in place to eventually have a softball facility of similar quality as what the baseball currently has.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They could use existing local fields on an interim basis, but there would have to be a plan in place to eventually have a softball facility of similar quality as what the baseball currently has.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

The last time it was asked, the response was there was no where on campus to build a softball stadium.
VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Post by VandyfanKY »

commadore wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:37 pm The last time it was asked, the response was there was no where on campus to build a softball stadium.
The only remaining land is the large surface parking used by employees during the week plus football parking in the fall. A softball field with proper seating will require about 90,000 square feet, meaning 275 parking spaces would be lost. Building a parking garage somewhere else for that many vehicles would be in excess of $8 million.

Surface parking lots will be less needed as urban areas switch to "transportation as a service," having automated vehicles drop off VU employees without the need to park at all. Georgia Tech has been targeting this for awhile. We may be a few years away, but that land is the most likely long-term solution on the athletic end of the campus. I presume Populous has so advised AD Lee, with such plans pushed to a future phase of Vandy United.
Locked Previous topicNext topic