Streaming services continue to buy up rights to televised sports

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Streaming services continue to buy up rights to televised sports

Post by BrentVU »

Apple TV+ has announced that it will air MLB Friday night double-headers this season, provided the owners and players can eventually get a deal worked out. (For a limited time, these will air for free.) This comes on the heels of Amazon Prime's announcement that it has acquired exclusive rights to Thursday night NFL games next season.

Last season's Vandy-ETSU game, which aired exclusively on ESPN+, was the first Vandy game ever to air exclusively on a streaming service. (Every SEC team was required to have one game last season aired exclusively over ESPN+.) It's just the beginning! The whole sports world is slowly moving to streaming.

VU1970
Admiral

Re: Streaming services continue to buy up rights to televised sports

Post by VU1970 »

I can see a future of frantic scrambling to remember what device and what app and what channel any particular game is on. I have a hard enough time finding the remote.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

ESPN+ at $6/month on Roku is one of my favorite things in the world.

Getting to see almost all of the VandyBoys games this time of the year? My favorite mid-major hoops games all winter from this and other parts of the nation? Being able to watch past games from the archives if I forgot to DVR them. Vandy women's basketball for those who don't hate women.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:09 pm ESPN+ at $6/month on Roku is one of my favorite things in the world.

Getting to see almost all of the VandyBoys games this time of the year? My favorite mid-major hoops games all winter from this and other parts of the nation? Being able to watch past games from the archives if I forgot to DVR them. Vandy women's basketball for those who don't hate women.
I dare not say this for fear of them jacking up the price, but ESPN+ is a steal at $6/month. As you say, never miss a Vandy game in football, basketball or baseball. Catch all those obscure sports as well. Its a great deal. I believe there is also a bundle where you can get Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ together for a really good price. I have YouTube TV but am considering the switch to Hulu because I already have ESPN+ and Disney+.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

vandy05 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:59 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:09 pm ESPN+ at $6/month on Roku is one of my favorite things in the world.

I dare not say this for fear of them jacking up the price, but ESPN+ is a steal at $6/month. As you say, never miss a Vandy game in football, basketball or baseball. Catch all those obscure sports as well. Its a great deal. I believe there is also a bundle where you can get Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ together for a really good price. I have YouTube TV but am considering the switch to Hulu because I already have ESPN+ and Disney+.
Hulu lost the rights to show the Preds and Grizz.
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

vandy05 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:59 pm

Hulu + live TV added ESPN+ to its standard service a few months ago and its absurd as to how many games are on...almost too many...it seems like every game from every sport is on there

The problem with Apple TV and Amazon and the like is that "flipping around" is dead...I don't make appointments with nightly sports other than the NFL and Vanderbilt so if it isn't in the Hulu offering, I don't go around looking at other services...too many clicks
DoreRayMe
Lieutenant

Post by DoreRayMe »

ESPN+ is a good deal...I have had it for years but I recently lost access to the SEC Network and SEC streamed games when I switched from Spectrum to Sling for TV. I still get access to most games streamed via ESPN but not SEC games unless they were televised by ESPN or ESPN2. This is the price I 'pay' for 2 months of free Sling TV. I 'll be switching to Hulu or YouTube once the trial is up...just bummed out that I will miss SEC Tournament and some Vandy Boys games in the mean time.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Sling Orange has SEC
Locked Previous topicNext topic