Coach SR on SEC radio today - Commodore Hour

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Coach SR on SEC radio today - Commodore Hour

Post by Dore2Dore »

Coach well spoken & honest as always; said we may still be playing as have shot at NIT bid - sure hope so as they are deserving; be great for further underclassmen development & much deserved reward for Cambridge & Alexander. Have we heard what Cambridge & Alexander are going to do for sure next year?? Hope they stay with us!

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: Coach SR on SEC radio today - Commodore Hour

Post by MikeADore »

Dore2Dore wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:05 pm Coach well spoken & honest as always; said we may still be playing as have shot at NIT bid - sure hope so as they are deserving; be great for further underclassmen development & much deserved reward for Cambridge & Alexander. Have we heard what Cambridge & Alexander are going to do for sure next year?? Hope they stay with us!
I haven't been able to find these interviews. Any help?
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

I happened upon it while dong errands - 2pm Tuesday on radio Sirius XM SEC channel; about 1 hr; had Coach Stack, Coach Ralph, & baseball player interviews
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

I regularly listen to the Anchor podcast with Kevin Ingram and Andrew Allegreta. Is that it? They don't have the episode listed so I can't figure it out. I don't have Sirius, so it's possible this is something totally different from what I've been listening to.
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

It was called "Commodore Hour"; dont remember the host; maybe can stream it or fu on vucommodores; I will continue to post when hear anything; thx for all ur info Mike
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

MikeADore wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:42 pm I regularly listen to the Anchor podcast with Kevin Ingram and Andrew Allegreta. Is that it? They don't have the episode listed so I can't figure it out. I don't have Sirius, so it's possible this is something totally different from what I've been listening to.
The Vanderbilt streaming app has a link to "past events", which includes both games and the Commodore Hour:

https://vanderbilt.leanplayer.com/past-events
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

Dore2Dore wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:05 pm Coach well spoken & honest as always; said we may still be playing as have shot at NIT bid - sure hope so as they are deserving; be great for further underclassmen development & much deserved reward for Cambridge & Alexander. Have we heard what Cambridge & Alexander are going to do for sure next year?? Hope they stay with us!
I'm not putting much stock into the possibility of a shot at the WNIT. I'm remembering 1999, when a loss to Florida in the first round of the SECT left us with a 13-14 record (the only losing record in Jim Foster's years at Vandy). The word going around was that he believe there was a possibility that we'd go to the WNIT. Apparently if the coach believes that there's a chance, they're able to follow NCAA rules for in-season practicing, whereas once their season is officially over, they have to go to off-season practice guidelines, which are much more restrictive.

At the time, knowledgeable bball friends pooh-poohed me when I mentioned the possibility of an invite, saying that teams with losing records weren't invited. It turned out that they were right, and I was wrong.The WNIT has changed rules and formats several times sense then, so I don't know if that's still true. But the fact that Coach Ralph specifically said they're practicing in preparation in the interview leads me to believe that she's following the same strategy as Coach Foster did -- i.e, to get in as much practice as possible before the off-season arrives, even it means adopting a position that's probably rosier than actually warranted.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VandyWhit wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:34 pm
MikeADore wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:42 pm I regularly listen to the Anchor podcast with Kevin Ingram and Andrew Allegreta. Is that it? They don't have the episode listed so I can't figure it out. I don't have Sirius, so it's possible this is something totally different from what I've been listening to.
The Vanderbilt streaming app has a link to "past events", which includes both games and the Commodore Hour:

https://vanderbilt.leanplayer.com/past-events
Thanks very much, Whit. That worked. Oddly enough, I've used the app to listen to Charlie Mattos throughout the year and have even listened to the Commodore Hour there. But, I associate the Commodore Hour with the Anchor Podcast since I've listened to some of them there. So, that's where I looked. This one, however, never showed up, and I've now seen that other episodes of the program haven't been included on the podcast app. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which episodes do and which don't show up there.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VandyWhit wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:57 pm
At the time, knowledgeable bball friends pooh-poohed me when I mentioned the possibility of an invite, saying that teams with losing records weren't invited. It turned out that they were right, and I was wrong.The WNIT has changed rules and formats several times sense then, so I don't know if that's still true.
I checked on this a few weeks ago, Whit. As far as I was able to determine, you no longer have to have a winning record to play in the WNIT. In the most recent info I could find, record is mentioned as one of the qualifying factors, but it does not say "winning record" or even a .500 record. Just record is considered.

I know that rule was stretched at times in the past when they didn't have enough teams with winning records to fill the field, but now it seems they have dropped the qualification altogether. Last year they scaled the tourney back to something like 24 teams, and even then they had teams with losing records. Of course, that was the covid year, and finding teams to play regardless of record was probably not easy.

As for the practice time, apparently all teams are allowed to keep practicing as long as the NCAA season is ongoing. After losing in the SEC tourney to Vandy, Gary Blair talked about getting back to school and practicing with his young players as long as the season continued because he loves to teach. I'm not at all sure that all teams can keep practicing, but that was my take on what coach Blair said. After all the hoopla about his final game, I wonder why no one bothered to ask him if he'd be interested in playing in the WNIT. Apparently he is not because he definitely indicated that was his final game.
Locked Previous topicNext topic