the parts of this team

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

the parts of this team

Post by roanoke »

This team will go down as one of the most interesting/frustrating teams of my lifetime. They have talent. They play hard. They could have won a LOT more games.

Obviously, injuries played a terrible part in slowing us down.

SPJ had a great season. And he did it while frequently being doubled and tripled and shoved around.

Our record with Chatman is really good - he’s just been hurt a lot. With him, as a calming influence, I honestly believe we can beat anyone if we play our best. He went off for 20+ against LSU.

Last night Wright had his sixth double-double of the year. Stute and Thomas have scored a lot on hot nights. Similarly Robbins is simply a star - and he can score too.

But many nights our complementary players can disappear. Check how many nights we have a starter with a goose egg for points. Not infrequently.

The trick with this team is getting all these parts to score and aggressively seek to score all the time. A lot of the “role” players tend to be comfortable in the background unless pressed into looking to score. That can be a problem when you have a star scorer - but SPJ is a capable distributor when guys are not passive. Bottom line, we have a lot of weapons - at least when healthy. If an opponent has to actively worry about Stute, Wright, Thomas, Robbins and Chatman - it’s a lot harder to double Pippen too.

This season isn’t over yet. We may still have a run left in us.

ymtn64
Chief

Re: the parts of this team

Post by ymtn64 »

This team has a missing part. I felt the same way in a few other seasons such as Coach Drews first season. Maybe there are more of these recently as well, but its been more noticeable to me this season. Where are the "glue guys", the guys that dive for loose balls, the guys that at times can seemingly "will" their team to victory without being an important scorer much of the time. I'm going to miss several important players throughout the years, but some examples are Scott Hundley, James Siakam, & Jason Holwerda. There were times these guys could of, and maybe sometimes even did have big scoring games, but their lasting impact was that they did the little things that so often go unnoticed unless you are a fan of those teams. They do things like Dan Cage(and several others from that special season) & fight for another possession, or take a charge. I always feel those guys have been as important as the stars that have lit up the scoreboard.

I may sound more like the middle age guy I am by talking about a style of basketball that often seems to be missing when I watch many different teams around the country. There is just something to be said about a coach having a guy they can send into the game and knowing they will always do the right thing. They might not be as physically gifted, but they always give you everything they have got for their team! Oh how I wish those kind of guys could step up as we enter tournament time & step into legendary status to Vandy Fans!
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

I think the glue guy is Chatman. He’s just been out a lot.

To be fair - Milora-Brown is a glue guy too. He is setting plenty of picks and diving for balls.

Mann’s injury has also hurt us - because he was a spark plug when he came in. He added a lot of intangible energy.

Injuries decimated a very talented squad. I can only imagine how frustrating this is for CJS - he knows how good this group could have been.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

ymtn64 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:20 am This team has a missing part. I felt the same way in a few other seasons such as Coach Drews first season. Maybe there are more of these recently as well, but its been more noticeable to me this season. Where are the "glue guys", the guys that dive for loose balls, the guys that at times can seemingly "will" their team to victory without being an important scorer much of the time. I'm going to miss several important players throughout the years, but some examples are Scott Hundley, James Siakam, & Jason Holwerda. There were times these guys could of, and maybe sometimes even did have big scoring games, but their lasting impact was that they did the little things that so often go unnoticed unless you are a fan of those teams. They do things like Dan Cage(and several others from that special season) & fight for another possession, or take a charge. I always feel those guys have been as important as the stars that have lit up the scoreboard.

I may sound more like the middle age guy I am by talking about a style of basketball that often seems to be missing when I watch many different teams around the country. There is just something to be said about a coach having a guy they can send into the game and knowing they will always do the right thing. They might not be as physically gifted, but they always give you everything they have got for their team! Oh how I wish those kind of guys could step up as we enter tournament time & step into legendary status to Vandy Fans!
Another of the wounded warriors - Jamaine Mann
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

roanoke wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:52 am I think the glue guy is Chatman. He’s just been out a lot.

To be fair - Milora-Brown is a glue guy too. He is setting plenty of picks and diving for balls.

Man’s injury has also hurt us - because he was a spark plug when he came in. He added a lot of intangible energy.

Injuries decimated a very talented squad. I can only imagine how frustrating this is for CJS - he knows how good this group could have been.
You beat me to it. Was going to list all three of those guys. QMB’s total contributions often get overlooked. Mann and Chatman both make hustle plays and both have missed extended time due to injuries.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

People are discounting the record of the OOC teams we played, many of which will be in the big dance.

Texas State is 21-7. VCU is 21-8. Winthrop is 23-9. SMU is 21-7. Loyola is 24-7. BYU is 22-10.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

My impression is that Chatman is the mental toughness leader of the team.
But Mann and QMB also have a lot of fight in them.
When Kentucky fans are whining about how your big man plays dirty (Kentucky! - spiritual home and legendary Valhalla for big man thugs) you know your big man has some fight in him. "Waahhh, that big guy plays too rough for our bullies, waahh!"
Locked Previous topicNext topic