Hawaii #1

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

Hawaii #1

Post by Levon »

Les Murakami Stadium at UH Manoa is huge. The outfield is the size of a Texas cow pasture, and I believe this stadium must have the most expansive foul territory I've ever seen. It's somewhat ironic that in a place where space is so limited, the baseball stadium is so enormous. Despite the size, Young to left and Kolwyk to dead center, have each homered.

Rainbow Warriors haven't looked very good early though they have gotten on the board in the 3rd. Young made a nice play on a ball up the middle for the second out, looking like the superior SS he was last year. Encouraging.

7-2 Vandy after 3. If not for DPs in both the 1st & 2nd innings, it could easily be much worse.

Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: Hawaii #1

Post by Levon »

Nice diving catch by UH 1B on short foul pop that would've been.3-4 rows deep in the stands at the Hawk. And there was still another 10 feet+ of foul territory before the dugout. Place is a cavern.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Continuing the winning streak..,
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I made it through 5 and went to bed, up 8-2. Final 9-2.
Let's get two more today!
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

The stadium looks bigger, I suppose, because of the expanse of foul territory compared to most stadia (especially Charles Hawkins). I thought the Kolwyck and Keegan homers would be long fly outs.

........... LEFT .... LC ... CENTER .. RC .. RIGHT
Murakami .. 325' .... ?? ... 385' .... ?? ... 325'
Hawkins ... 310'* .. 375' .. 400' ... 375' .. 330
*Green Monster
'

According to wikipedia: "... in 2002, the baseball program moved the outfield fences in 15 feet and lowered them from 12 to 10 feet, turning what had been a pitchers' ballpark into a more hitter-friendly stadium."

The double decker seating layout (mostly covered) looks like most modern minor league stadia, but the capacity is diminished (4,312) because the seats do not extend far down the sidelines and there are no outfield bleachers.

Appears to be a fine stadium. Initial cost nearly 40 years ago, including AstroTurf: $12.2 million.

vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

From the Honolulu paper today:
Rich Hill on the television interview after the game said, “if you want to see what the major league is like…this is it.”
Locked Previous topicNext topic