SEC Standings (2-24-22)

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

SEC Standings (2-24-22)

Post by MikeADore »

Best I can tell, going into Sunday's final regular-season games, every position in the SEC standings is still up for grabs except number one and number 14.

South Carolina 14-1 (26-1)
LSU 12-3 (24-4)
Tennessee 11-4 (22-6)
Ole Miss 10-5 (22-6)
Florida 10-5 (20-8)
Georgia 8-7 (19-8)
Kentucky 7-8 (13-11)
Arkansas 6-9 (16-12)
Mississippi State 6-9 (15-12)
Missouri 6-9 (17-11)
Alabama 5-10 (14-11)
Texas A&M 4-11 (14-13)
Vanderbilt 4-11 (13-16)
Auburn 2-13 (10-16)

VandyWhit
Site Admin

Re: SEC Standings (2-24-22)

Post by VandyWhit »

Although our seed is still to be determined, it looks like we're locked in to play on Wednesday in the SECT. With one game left, the best we can finish is 5-11, which will put us behind the three 6-0 teams in the standings above us. I actually don't feel bad about that. I think we'll have a decent chance in game 1, which will give us a chance at another game. I feel that last night's win showed our improvement as a team (thanks in significant part to Sacha Washington's emergence as a solid SEC player), and the more games we can play before the season ends, the better.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

I think you're right on the money, Whit. We can finish seeded anywhere from 11 to 13. There are different scenarios, but the simplest is for us to beat Alabama Sunday and for Texas A&M to lose Sunday at Georgia and stay out of a three-way tie with us and Alabama. If that happens, Bama wins the tiebreaker with a 2-1 record in the head-to-head against Vandy and A&M.

If we wind up tied with Bama and are 1-1 in the season series against them, it goes to who beat the higher seeded team in the conference. To simplify, we need Florida to finish seeded ahead of UT since we beat the Gators and Bama beat the Vols.

I guess I should hope to finish 11th seeded and play Auburn, but I don't trust 'em. I remember a couple years back when we hammered them to start SEC play, and they beat us with relative ease in the first round of tournament. One thing is for sure, we'll either play A&M or Auburn, so, now that I see it that way, I'd rather play Auburn. We did not handle A&M very well a couple weeks ago. Also, the 11-14 matchup is the second game Wednesday. That first game between 12 and 13 seeds is at 11 a.m. Brutal.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

MikeADore wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:33 am I think you're right on the money, Whit. We can finish seeded anywhere from 11 to 13. There are different scenarios, but the simplest is for us to beat Alabama Sunday and for Texas A&M to lose Sunday at Georgia and stay out of a three-way tie with us and Alabama. If that happens, Bama wins the tiebreaker with a 2-1 record in the head-to-head against Vandy and A&M.

If we wind up tied with Bama and are 1-1 in the season series against them, it goes to who beat the higher seeded team in the conference. To simplify, we need Florida to finish seeded ahead of UT since we beat the Gators and Bama beat the Vols.

I guess I should hope to finish 11th seeded and play Auburn, but I don't trust 'em. I remember a couple years back when we hammered them to start SEC play, and they beat us with relative ease in the first round of tournament. One thing is for sure, we'll either play A&M or Auburn, so, now that I see it that way, I'd rather play Auburn. We did not handle A&M very well a couple weeks ago. Also, the 11-14 matchup is the second game Wednesday. That first game between 12 and 13 seeds is at 11 a.m. Brutal.
Good points. As for me, I'm pretty much in a game at a time mode. In recent years, I feel like we would have lost the Florida game and well before then, I'd have been thinking, "Time to put this season to bed." I don't know how I would have felt if we'd lost to Florida, but we didn't. We won in a very encouraging way, and now I'm pretty much, "Bring 'em on, see what we can do, and let the chips fall where they may." Over the years I've felt a variety of ways as the end of the season approaches, but I'm not sure I've ever felt this way before.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

MikeADore wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:50 pm Best I can tell, going into Sunday's final regular-season games, every position in the SEC standings is still up for grabs except number one and number 14.

LSU 12-3 (24-4)
Tennessee 11-4 (22-6)
Ole Miss 10-5 (22-6)
Florida 10-5 (20-8)
Georgia 8-7 (19-8)
Kentucky 7-8 (13-11)
Arkansas 6-9 (16-12)
Missouri 6-9 (17-11)
Alabama 5-10 (14-11)
Texas A&M 4-11 (14-13)
Vanderbilt 4-11 (13-16)
Auburn 2-13 (10-16)
It will be interesting to see if Mulkey can replenish her roster next year- she loses most of her team

Others facing significant losses: GA, KY, AL, A&M, Ole Miss, Miss St, FL

Ark, VU lose top scorer. MO loses Troup

Auburn - no significant losses

Not sure what each team has coming in with Freshmen and transfers are always a wild card. SC and TN look like they will remain at top but there could be a lot of shuffling otherwise in the conference. Hopefully, VU can move up especially if Cambridge is back and a few freshmen develop quickly.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Doubledore wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:07 am
MikeADore wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:50 pm Best I can tell, going into Sunday's final regular-season games, every position in the SEC standings is still up for grabs except number one and number 14.

LSU 12-3 (24-4)
Tennessee 11-4 (22-6)
Ole Miss 10-5 (22-6)
Florida 10-5 (20-8)
Georgia 8-7 (19-8)
Kentucky 7-8 (13-11)
Arkansas 6-9 (16-12)
Missouri 6-9 (17-11)
Alabama 5-10 (14-11)
Texas A&M 4-11 (14-13)
Vanderbilt 4-11 (13-16)
Auburn 2-13 (10-16)
It will be interesting to see if Mulkey can replenish her roster next year- she loses most of her team

Not sure what each team has coming in with Freshmen and transfers are always a wild card. SC and TN look like they will remain at top but there could be a lot of shuffling otherwise in the conference. Hopefully, VU can move up especially if Cambridge is back and a few freshmen develop quickly.
Good info. I’m sure Mulkey will dive deep into the transfer portal, and she’s never had a problem attracting top recruits, but it will be very difficult to duplicate what she is losing, not only in terms of talent but experience as well.

I know Georgia has one of the top ’22 recruits, Janiah Barker, coming in, but you don’t replace Que Morrison and Jenna Staiti right away with freshmen. And, coach Yo at Ole Miss seems to be on the Kara Lawson portal shopping plan. I can’t remember exactly, but I think I counted seven transfers on this year's Rebel squad. (Just to avoid sounding a bit too self righteous, if Shakira Austin wanted to come to Vandy, I’d be doing back flips. But, seven transfers? If memory serves, Duke has nine.)

Losing Amber Ramirez will be tough for Arkansas, but Neighbors has freshman Taleah Scott coming in, and I saw where she scored 50 in a high school game a couple weeks ago. Also, he has UConn transfer Saylor Poffenbarger who came in last year as one of the top recruits and with a reputation as a great shooter. Foot injuries have kept her sidelined, but when she’s healthy, she could be a big help.

Oh, and Mississippi State transfer Rickea Jackson is visiting UT this weekend. A Jackson, Tamari Key, Jordan Horston trio could be pretty tough, and I have a sneaky feeling Rae Burrell might opt for her grad year since she missed a lot of time this season. Jackson also visited Ole Miss.

As for Vandy? I think that’s a much more involved discussion we could have in a separate thread somewhere along the way. Hopefully, we will.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

MikeADore wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:21 am
Doubledore wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:07 am

LSU 12-3 (24-4)
Tennessee 11-4 (22-6)
Ole Miss 10-5 (22-6)
Florida 10-5 (20-8)
Georgia 8-7 (19-8)
Kentucky 7-8 (13-11)
Arkansas 6-9 (16-12)
Missouri 6-9 (17-11)
Alabama 5-10 (14-11)
Texas A&M 4-11 (14-13)
Vanderbilt 4-11 (13-16)
Auburn 2-13 (10-16)

Good info. I’m sure Mulkey will dive deep into the transfer portal, and she’s never had a problem attracting top recruits, but it will be very difficult to duplicate what she is losing, not only in terms of talent but experience as well.

I know Georgia has one of the top ’22 recruits, Janiah Barker, coming in, but you don’t replace Que Morrison and Jenna Staiti right away with freshmen. And, coach Yo at Ole Miss seems to be on the Kara Lawson portal shopping plan. I can’t remember exactly, but I think I counted seven transfers on this year's Rebel squad. (Just to avoid sounding a bit too self righteous, if Shakira Austin wanted to come to Vandy, I’d be doing back flips. But, seven transfers? If memory serves, Duke has nine.)

Losing Amber Ramirez will be tough for Arkansas, but Neighbors has freshman Taleah Scott coming in, and I saw where she scored 50 in a high school game a couple weeks ago. Also, he has UConn transfer Saylor Poffenbarger who came in last year as one of the top recruits and with a reputation as a great shooter. Foot injuries have kept her sidelined, but when she’s healthy, she could be a big help.

Oh, and Mississippi State transfer Rickea Jackson is visiting UT this weekend. A Jackson, Tamari Key, Jordan Horston trio could be pretty tough, and I have a sneaky feeling Rae Burrell might opt for her grad year since she missed a lot of time this season. Jackson also visited Ole Miss.

As for Vandy? I think that’s a much more involved discussion we could have in a separate thread somewhere along the way. Hopefully, we will.
Good fleshing out! I think we might all agree that next year will be interesting in the SEC- lots of lineup unknowns.
Locked Previous topicNext topic