Have to play our best players

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jeff93
Lieutenant

Have to play our best players

Post by jeff93 »

Pippen, wright, Millora brown, robbins and stute need to play 32 minutes per game. This wholesale second team substitution costs us 8-10 points per game.

bernstml19
Lieutenant

Re: Have to play our best players

Post by bernstml19 »

I speculate that Stack knows that this season is not a tournament season and he’s feeling our what he has for next year. He’s probably not feeling good. But we are 14-13. Time to experiment a little.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

We are (were) playing for an NIT bid, depending how the SECT works out. You gotta play to win at this point, no experiments.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I will put Stack's knowledge of substitution of our team ahead of us arm chair coaches any day. He substitutes and we nearly win the game. If we make the bunny at the end and get fouled we win the thing despite the substitutions or is it because of the substitutions? I know anyone is free to criticize the coach, but he wants to win every game more than any of us and I trust him to make the substitutions he sees fit when he sees fit.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

Why you would not have Liam on the floor the final 24 seconds was a huge coaching mistake. Their Big had fouled out and they could not stop him inside. He might have gotten that last rebound.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Hard to argue that we were not in a position to win at the end. A dang missed lay up cost us a shot at OT. Interesting question re Robbins, but i guess he wanted to clear out the middle for a drive just like we almost had...
Team plays hard and those two injuries are so frustrating (imagine how the team feels). with the two we'd be close to if not in the big dance.
I'm all in with Coach Stackhouse and with this team.
DoreRayMe
Lieutenant

Post by DoreRayMe »

Is Robbins fully cleared to play unrestricted minutes? If so, that is news to me. My guess is he was not cleared to return although it would have been tempting for those last 24 seconds.
Souldore
Rear Admiral

Post by Souldore »

GoVU wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:25 am Why you would not have Liam on the floor the final 24 seconds was a huge coaching mistake. Their Big had fouled out and they could not stop him inside. He might have gotten that last rebound.
Agreed! I was screaming at the screen!!
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Stack said he wanted QMB in there since he's the best defender. I guess they could have both been in, but I, too, will defer to Coach. I'm all in. Wright had a bad game and unfortunate miss at the very end. It was a tough loss.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Stack said in postgame interview that he wanted them to pass to Trey Thomas for an open 3 in the corner. Said it was there and he knew it would be and that’s the play he called but didn’t get executed.
HAILMURY
Petty Officer

Post by HAILMURY »

I think it was very intentional that Robbins was not in the game at the end. Stack said the play was drawn up to get an open look from 3. Earlier in the interview Stack said that Robbins has to be a better rebounder. I believe his quote was "he is 7' tall and he didn't have a rebound in the first half". The stats gave Robbins 2 rebounds in over 25 minutes of play, both defensive. I believe he had the best lineup for the play that was drawn up.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

so how should a coach handle things with a player who goes rogue like wright did last night? hunh vern? hunh? hunh?
vandybl
Commander

Post by vandybl »

Let's face it - Vandy only has so many good players on the team. Even less now due to injuries. Those few cannot play 40 minutes each game against SEC competition. Pippen played 36 minutes last night. When he went out, the result was not good. Stack knows that. He tried to have his best guys in the game, somewhat rested, for the last 4-6 minutes. I too think he is a really good coach. Needs a few more horses. Go Vandy!
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

docdore wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:36 pm so how should a coach handle things with a player who goes rogue like wright did last night? hunh vern? hunh? hunh?
(especially with the team chronically short-handed)
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

docdore wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:51 pm
docdore wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:36 pm so how should a coach handle things with a player who goes rogue like wright did last night? hunh vern? hunh? hunh?
(especially with the team chronically short-handed)
Great question, but the tricky thing is also that he actually made a good read and drove the lane for a really good look at the basket. And he just rimmed it out. You know Wright is likely being harder on himself for his struggles last night than anybody else could be. Aren’t the majority of (rational, intelligent) humans their own worst critics. Sucks that the shot didn’t go down, and I can’t fathom that Stack didn’t have a chat with him about that decision.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:13 pm I can’t fathom that Stack didn’t have a chat with him about that decision.
Like, "Jo, run the effin' play!"
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

GoVU wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:25 am Why you would not have Liam on the floor the final 24 seconds was a huge coaching mistake. .
Liam was gassed. Asked to be taken out.
He is not in the kind of game shape that guys who have played all season are.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

HAILMURY wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:45 pm I think it was very intentional that Robbins was not in the game at the end. Stack said the play was drawn up to get an open look from 3. Earlier in the interview Stack said that Robbins has to be a better rebounder. I believe his quote was "he is 7' tall and he didn't have a rebound in the first half". The stats gave Robbins 2 rebounds in over 25 minutes of play, both defensive. I believe he had the best lineup for the play that was drawn up.
There is a coach who would say, "two more rebounds than a dead man"
Locked Previous topicNext topic