Ron Bargatze Interview

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Georgiadore
Captain

Ron Bargatze Interview

Post by Georgiadore »

I heard him interviewed on a podcast today - great stuff - lots of reminiscing about VU basketball in the late sixties and early to mid-seventies. He mentioned Clay Stapleton as the second worst (to Hoolihan) AD in Vandy history. Said he called all the coaches in to McGugin Center and said, "There's a new sheriff in town, and we're going to start doing things the right way" (whatever that meant). Does anyone recall who Stapleton replaced as AD? and did Roy Kramer follow him, or did someone else? I can't find a historical list of ADs online. Edited: I found the answer - Stapleton followed Bill Pace as AD, and Kramer followed Stapleton.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ron Bargatze Interview

Post by charlestonalum »

Link to podcast?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:55 am Link to podcast?
Could this be it?

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... IBRAF&ep=6
Georgiadore
Captain

Post by Georgiadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:49 am
charlestonalum wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:55 am Link to podcast?
Could this be it?

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... IBRAF&ep=6
Yes - that's the one - Coach B is on in the last part of the show.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Bill Pace as AD? Jess Neely was still AD 69-71 anyway (early '71). Did Pace become AD after Neely, before being fired?

Update: Yes, Pace became AD in Jan. 1971 and held the position until he resigned in 1973. He was followed by Stapleton, who was followed by Roy Kramer, who I guess was followed by Hoolahan.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Overall, good interview with Coach B. I do feel like he protested a little too much about Shan Foster's #32 being retired without mention of JVBK and Will Perdue.

First, he said that Foster never went to the NCAA's, or didn't have success in the NCAA. Not true. He went at least twice, including the Sweet 16.

Secondly, he said that Matt Freije should be part of that group, a little behind VBK and Will. Problem is, Freije wore #35, not 32.

Overall, minor quibbles. He took nothing away from Shan but felt like all should be represented. James Williams was #32 as well. I was a big fan of his back in the 80's.
Locked Previous topicNext topic