Non VU: Players saying they will stay if they get a good NIL deal

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Non VU: Players saying they will stay if they get a good NIL deal

Post by FayetteDore »

This is about the 3rd news item I've seen in the past week about players saying they may return to play college football next year IF they can get a good NIL deal. Can't blame them from a financial point of view, BUT since I don't see VU playing this NIL game very well -- or at least on a level with the rest of the SEC -- I don't see this general trend turning out well for Vanderbilt football. Are there counter arguments I'm missing?

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/c ... IJelIlmmVQ

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Golddore68
Admiral

Re: Non VU: Players saying they will stay if they get a good NIL deal

Post by Golddore68 »

I don’t think it will turn out well for Vanderbilt either. In Nashville, companies are going to want to get Predators or Titans to promote their business or products, not Vanderbilt players.

And what do these players who will stay consider “a good NIL deal?” $1,000? $10,000? $25,000? $100,000? A million?

What if player A, an offensive lineman for South Carolina or another SEC team, gets a $10,000 payment to promote Joe Bob’s used cars, but player B, the starting quarterback, is paid $100,000 to promote cars there? Will player A be upset that his teammate is getting that much more?

I foresee this whole thing could lead to a lot of problems.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

It's not yet a dumpster fire. but several seedy characters have been seen lurking in the shadows with zippos ready. It soon will be. NIL and the transfer portal are 2 of the factors making a mockery of college athletics.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

They're gonna have to come up with some controls or this will be a pro league with no rules. Biggest pocket wins. Conferences will need to get together and decide what they want. The NCAA's relationship with football is about to end because their opinion doesn't matter. This is about cash. And in a way, they're finally being honest about what's going on.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

geeznotagain wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:43 pm It's not yet a dumpster fire. but several seedy characters have been seen lurking in the shadows with zippos ready. It soon will be. NIL and the transfer portal are 2 of the factors making a mockery of college athletics.
The two latest factors. It was already a mockery if we're being honest. At this point its just all out in the open now.
Locked Previous topicNext topic