Tennessee fans starting in on Vandy early this week

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Tennessee fans starting in on Vandy early this week

Post by BrentVU »

...The Commodores have lost 20 consecutive Southeastern Conference games.

They are occasionally unfortunate instead of always inept. They are dependable in effort. They try and try but have almost nothing to show for their efforts. They are 2-9 with the grand finale to come at Neyland Stadium...

The visitors’ best hope in Knoxville will be that the Vols are still tired from running up and down the field in the 60-14 romp past South Alabama.

Vanderbilt has endured harsh abuse. Georgia gave it a very swift kick, 62-0. Coach Kirby Smart made a sincere effort to let up but Vandy would have none of it...

Vanderbilt faithful (I know seven or eight) still think the 23-3 loss to East Tennessee State was the lowlight. The Commodores just didn’t get their anchor down.

The one win at home, 30-28 over UConn, remains cause for celebration. The Huskies are not the worst team in the country. They beat Yale...

The Tennessee-Vanderbilt relationship is much easier to understand. The late, great George Cafego spelled it out decades ago. They don’t like each other. They are very different as people and places. Rival coaches seldom bump in recruiting races. Vandy fans don’t wear overalls.

More:
KnoxTNToday.com: In this one case, OK to kick Vandy when it is down (by Marvin West)
https://www.knoxtntoday.com/in-this-one ... t-is-down/

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Tennessee fans starting in on Vandy early this week

Post by FayetteDore »

In fairness Brent, Marvin is more sportswriter emeritus than fan (although he IS that too). And he does give Vanderbilt credit for playing tough.

And surprisingly to me, when I check in on the juvenile detention center known as volnation.com, I see a thread in which most of the detainees rate the Vanderbilt game an 8 to 11 on a scale of 10 in terms of how much Saturday's game means to Tennessee (with 10 being very important).
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Among the "almost nothing to show for their efforts" is a 5-5 record over the last decade against Saturday's home team.
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

As much as UT has poured into their program, they really do not have that much to brag about. I suspect they will beat Vandy on Saturday and maybe give them a whipping. However, they probably should enjoy their success because I think Coach Lea is the right man to bring up the VU program. It is amazing to me how UT fans are more against everyone else than for their own, who they have been know more than once to turn against. Their conduct during the Ole Miss game regarding a correct spot showed the nation what VU fans already knew! Regarding 1999 title; Stoerner did not fumble; the ground can't cause a fumble! Stoerner had control of the ball until it hit the ground while in his firm grip; BAD CALL.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

thefan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:13 pm As much as UT has poured into their program, they really do not have that much to brag about. I suspect they will beat Vandy on Saturday and maybe give them a whipping. However, they probably should enjoy their success because I think Coach Lea is the right man to bring up the VU program. It is amazing to me how UT fans are more against everyone else than for their own, who they have been know more than once to turn against. Their conduct during the Ole Miss game regarding a correct spot showed the nation what VU fans already knew! Regarding 1999 title; Stoerner did not fumble; the ground can't cause a fumble! Stoerner had control of the ball until it hit the ground while in his firm grip; BAD CALL.
I have a question, if the ground cannot cause a fumble, why do they say a receiver can go up, grab a ball with both hands, bring it in to his chest, fall to the ground and if the ball moves the very slightest when hitting the ground they call it incomplete? That just doesn't seem right.

Not questioning you, just pondering the difference any why.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

And still, in the last 9 games between the two schools.....

107 November 17, 2012 Nashville Vanderbilt 41 Tennessee 18
108 November 23, 2013 Knoxville Vanderbilt 14 Tennessee 10
109 November 29, 2014 Nashville Tennessee 24 Vanderbilt 17
110 November 28, 2015 Knoxville Tennessee 53 Vanderbilt 28
111 November 26, 2016 Nashville Vanderbilt 45 Tennessee 34
112 November 25, 2017 Knoxville Vanderbilt 42 Tennessee 24
113 November 24, 2018 Nashville Vanderbilt 38 Tennessee 13
114 November 30, 2019 Knoxville Tennessee 28 Vanderbilt 10
115 December 12, 2020 Nashville Tennessee 42 Vanderbilt 17
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

coachinwaiting wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:50 pm And still, in the last 9 games between the two schools.....

Relative ROI?
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

dcdore wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:04 pm
coachinwaiting wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:50 pm And still, in the last 9 games between the two schools.....

Relative ROI?
My late great uncle would say ut's return on investment was pi** poor. I would concur.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I may have guzzled down the cool-aid, but I'm taking the points and wondering (need to drink some more) just wondering if this game could be very, very surprising.
Now wouldn't that be some way to kick off the holidays (and the recruiting season). Gotta run back and get me some more of that cool-aid...
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

commadore wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:37 pm
thefan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:13 pm As much as UT has poured into their program, they really do not have that much to brag about. I suspect they will beat Vandy on Saturday and maybe give them a whipping. However, they probably should enjoy their success because I think Coach Lea is the right man to bring up the VU program. It is amazing to me how UT fans are more against everyone else than for their own, who they have been know more than once to turn against. Their conduct during the Ole Miss game regarding a correct spot showed the nation what VU fans already knew! Regarding 1999 title; Stoerner did not fumble; the ground can't cause a fumble! Stoerner had control of the ball until it hit the ground while in his firm grip; BAD CALL.
I have a question, if the ground cannot cause a fumble, why do they say a receiver can go up, grab a ball with both hands, bring it in to his chest, fall to the ground and if the ball moves the very slightest when hitting the ground they call it incomplete? That just doesn't seem right.

I totally agree. I can't tell you how many times this season, watching scores of games, I have shouted at overturned calls rendered after repeated, slow-mo, multiple-angle reviews of catches where officials have ruled that slight movement of the ball indicates that the player didn't "have control." In my view, if a player -- any player -- comes down with the ball and doesn't fumble it away from his body, it's a catch. This nonsense didn't happen before reviews. If everything else about the play is legal, it SHOULD be a catch if he doesn't drop it.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

VU1970 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:07 pm Among the "almost nothing to show for their efforts" is a 5-5 record over the last decade against Saturday's home team.
TBF, i think he was talking about this season. But maybe not-
StarTraveler
Commander

Post by StarTraveler »

Go Vandy! wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:05 pm
VU1970 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:07 pm Among the "almost nothing to show for their efforts" is a 5-5 record over the last decade against Saturday's home team.
TBF, i think he was talking about this season. But maybe not-
Probably true. Most Vol fans seem to remember wins well but have very selective memory about their losses.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

FayetteDore wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:36 pm
commadore wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:37 pm

I totally agree. I can't tell you how many times this season, watching scores of games, I have shouted at overturned calls rendered after repeated, slow-mo, multiple-angle reviews of catches where officials have ruled that slight movement of the ball indicates that the player didn't "have control." In my view, if a player -- any player -- comes down with the ball and doesn't fumble it away from his body, it's a catch. This nonsense didn't happen before reviews. If everything else about the play is legal, it SHOULD be a catch if he doesn't drop it.
Agree...now riddle me this.....if pass interference is called off because a ball is not catchable, how come its not illegal contact?
Locked Previous topicNext topic