Zemek: Vanderbilt’s offseason priorities are becoming clearer

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

Zemek: Vanderbilt’s offseason priorities are becoming clearer

Post by admin »

You probably already knew this if you are a Vanderbilt fan, but the offseason goals for head coach Clark Lea and his staff could not be any clearer.

After Saturday’s 34-17 loss to Kentucky, in which Vanderbilt trailed 31-3 at halftime and was floored by a 24-0 second quarter from the Wildcats, there really isn’t any mystery about where the Commodores need to start in the process of rebuilding what is a very weak program. Vanderbilt let its big chance for an SEC win slip away against South Carolina. Chances for an SEC win in the remainder of the season are remote, given the caliber of opposition VU will face on the road. Trips to Oxford and Knoxville, against improved (though not spectacular) opponents, point to a few more losses and a winless SEC campaign.

READ MORE: https://14powers.com/sec-football/12191 ... g-clearer/

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Zemek: Vanderbilt’s offseason priorities are becoming clearer

Post by charlestonalum »

Zemek says working the portal to find offensive talent is key to winning. 2 problems: 1- every team will be doing that and nothing indicates we will be successful in this strategy; 2- I have not given up on Lea, but the offensive coaching seems problematic and Zemek points no fingers, but with our offensive line and QB play this year compared to last year the main new variable is coaching. Continuity of personnel (players and coaches) is usually important since it improves consistency by mutual experience, so this argues against portal and coaching change - what is the answer - who knows? Do we hope for a quick fix or a longer term, more permanent fix? Serious questions.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

There definitely needs to be some coaching changes! OC, DC & O-line coaches.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Hello?

May I speak with the Old Ball Coach, please?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I can't say that I'm totally on board with the idea that offensive coaching changes are required. I know that we have not been successful on offense by most measures. But I also think there is something to be said for consistency. A full offseason program, another year in the same system, etc. I'm also not saying that I would rule out coaching changes, but I won't be shocked or disappointed if there are not big shakeups on the staff.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I've seen some improvement on defense. There are some high achieving players I can point to - players who were not particularly standouts in the past who are becoming that way. Jaylen Mahoney, Max Worship, and Ethan Barr are all examples of past role players who are starting to shine.

On offense, I have a long list of guys who showed real ability in the past but mostly disappeared this year. Cam Johnson, Abdur Rahman, Ben Bresnahan, Ken Seals... they all played better last year.
In particular I think we miss OC Fitch's ability to bring young QB's along by breaking stuff into bite size pieces and helping build their confidence.
Last year I would have said that poise was the most impressive thing about Ken Seals. He would have good plays and bad plays, but never looked rattled. This year he has rarely not looked rattled.

I know the scores have been ugly in a way that suggests big defensive problems but I think a lot of that is where the offense puts the defense. "Just threw a pick six, then went three and out and shanked a punt, so you're defending from our three yard line. Good luck, defense!"
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Interesting article but not sure that I entirely agree with the sentiment. I certainly recognize the changing dynamics of college football and working the portal system to augment your talent but I'm not sure that's where I start or even emphasize. As AD Lee stated, CCL is building the foundation and the culture of a program that can be sustained and emphasizing the transfer portal seems contradictory to that goal.

IMHO, the emphasis is on building the bodies and minds of the high school athletes that they are trying to attract to the program over a 4 year period under the system. That includes getting the right person at Vanderbilt and making them bigger, stronger, faster and improving their football IQ through weight training, improved nutrition and continuous learning. The coaching is very important, of course, but the caliber of athlete is even more important so just swapping coaches without addressing the root issues is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

I'm all for building a program through recruiting and training those players up to build a culture but the transfer portal must be used in the new landscape of NCAA football.

The NCAA wasn't blind to the fact teams could potentially recruit 25 players and then lose many in the portal. If a team averaged losing 5 players per year to the portal for 4 years it would be at a competitive disadvantage. To keep a somewhat level playing field the NCAA allows each team to replace up to 7 lost players through the portal that doesn't count against the 25 scholarships allowed each year. In our last class we could have taken 7 portal players and still recruited 25. Our opponents are diligently working the portal and if VU wants to compete CCL and staff needs to do the same.
Locked Previous topicNext topic