We need to hire

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

We need to hire

Post by commadore »

Samford's offensive coordinator. Their offense has put up 42 on Florida still in second quarter. They have been very good all year long, averaging 37.4 a game.

kay1092
Commander

Re: We need to hire

Post by kay1092 »

True Story. I watched that game and they know how to manufacture first downs and points
DoreRayMe
Lieutenant

Post by DoreRayMe »

Chris Hatcher, their HC, is their real offensive coordinator and he may be available after the season is over because as good as their offense is, their defense is even more spectacularly bad.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Under no circumstances would we hire a new coach after CCL has been the coach for only one year. Unless CCL did something to disgrace the school, he’ll probably be here for at least five years.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Hire the OC from Samford AS the new OC....bigger pay!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

My bad. You were referring to hiring him as OC, not coach. That would be a good idea but I don’t know if CCL would want to replace his assistants and coordinators after only one year.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:29 pm I don’t know if CCL would want to replace his assistants and coordinators after only one year.
He may not have any say in the matter, just like Mason didn't after his first year. We need a new OC and DC. And for pete's sake, can we hire someone who runs a hurry up spread air raid like Heupel is doing at UT. If we're going to give up 50+ points every game, I'd like to see us score 50, too.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Will never see an offense designed to be explosive under CCL. Defensive minded head coaches want ball control offenses. It is what it is.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:26 pm Under no circumstances would we hire a new coach after CCL has been the coach for only one year. Unless CCL did something to disgrace the school, he’ll probably be here for at least five years.
Basically agree with your point of view, but fear that the fans will probably be here for only three years. Friends, I truly believe that we are finally at the crisis point that has been debated for decades. Regardless of big facility promises, VU is looking at a different environment: student body more academically gifted and focused than ever before , not as concerned with supporting athletics; the student body is also much more geographically diverse than ever, no connections to the local institutions and not nearly as likely to settle in the area after graduation; local market has many solid competing options for the sports dollar; growing number of transplants may want to follow a sports team as long as it is a winner or at least fun to watch, does VU meet that criteria ?

I feel for CCL and absolutely believe that our talent is nowhere near SEC level. However, me wanting CCL to succeed or acknowledging the challenge he faces in immediate recruiting changes nothing. He doesn't have ten years to "change the culture" ( oh, how I hate that phrase), he has to be enough of a gambler to take serious action and gut this inept coaching staff at end of season. Not doing that sends the public message that the current performance is acceptable. His loyalty is to VU , not to a few old running buddies.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

CCL would be a fool not to change his inept staff. Raif? lol...a joke & Lynch is out of his league as is the O-line coach!! I think CCL is out of his league(hope I am wrong). His rambling speeches put me to sleep. Hope he is better with recruits. I am afraid there will be a mass graduation and exit of many others to the portal(again hope I am wrong) I too hate the phrase "change the culture" No way is he given 10 years. He gets a pass in this coming recruiting class but NOT in his next. If he doesn't start upping his game with a few more 4 stars every year he is toast!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

DivergentDore wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:02 pm Will never see an offense designed to be explosive under CCL. Defensive minded head coaches want ball control offenses. It is what it is.
I'm not sure that's going to be the case.
I have a lot of questions about his coaching but I do not get the sense that he will stubbornly stick to things that aren't working. He already backed off his previous comments about transfers. He relies heavily on stats and metrics - and numbers don't lie.
Also I am not 100% sure explosiveness is the biggest problem for this offense. With Wright at QB we've had a lot more explosive plays - not just his runs, but he throws a nice deep ball and there have been a couple of nice option pitches to the RB that went for big yards.
With Wright the biggest problem has been efficiency and consistency (not great with Seals at QB either). It's the three-and-outs that are killing this offense (and also putting a lot more pressure on the defense).
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Coach in my view is an open and analytic guy. This isn’t Mason version 2, even though he was a defensive coordinator as well.

Also, think we can be like Northwestern. Up and down program, with rewarding good years and (like this year for them) really bad years too. We ain’t a big state school.

I don’t know enough about the assistant coaches to have an opinion, however. If you don’t have the players, it seems to me it’s hard to judge a lot about the coaches.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

I want to see increasing imagination on offense, Wright needs a great QB coach to hone his decision making.
I see plenty of talent and enough leadership from him-the team immediately responded to him last night.

I don't know how one improves mediocre speed by the DBs but no doubt they could be coached more effectively it seems. And we saw lots of poor tackling yesterday-the top SEC backs really show us up. Those things should be achievable.

The baffling decisions-such as, encouraging the league's best punter to change his style, a "prevent" defense with no apparent ability to execute it -need to end.
Locked Previous topicNext topic