New facility plans and renderings released

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

New facility plans and renderings released

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

AirForceDore
Rear Admiral

Re: New facility plans and renderings released

Post by AirForceDore »

Better than what I imagined. Much better than what I ever imagined!
secchamp
Lieutenant

Post by secchamp »

Love it!
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

After years of frustration and disappointment, I am truly impressed. Everything looks absolutely first class. Hard to believe. I had to pinch myself that I’m not dreaming! Excited to see it all come together.
alabamacommodore
Ensign

Post by alabamacommodore »

While it's not a stadium overhaul, it does make major improvements to the look and feel of the stadium! I like it! I wonder what the seating capacity will be as it looks like the renovations in the south end zone will remove some seats. Not a big concern at all since we haven't been able to fill it up with our own fans.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

It looks tremendous.

Certainly not complaining, but there go my cheap South End Zone seats 8-)

And due to my very orderly and regimented -- some might say anal -- mind, I hate asymmetrical stadium designs. This Southe End Zone just looks out of balance and hodgepodge to me:
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 2.13.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 2.13.13 PM.png (2.6 MiB) Viewed 3809 times
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

Good timing on the release of the renderings. The season has not gone as good as possible on the field but these renderings can keep the recruiting momentum going. This is something that can be sold to 17-20year olds.

I really like what they are proposing. The next logical question is the time line for getting things done. What is first and how long will each element take to build. Does look like there may be a season played with the stadium under construction.
Captcook
Captain

Post by Captcook »

My understanding as a donor to the campaign that has been communicated to me is that there is a new power generating facility that has to be constructed first to help with the new facility infrastructure. Because of that, there won't be "shovel in the ground" work that visibly starts until end of next season and likely won't be COMPLETELY finished until 2025.

However, there are also other parts of this project that aren't as major and infrastructure related that also aren't called out in this announcement and that are in process now... new mens/womens locker rooms and other behind the scenes player infrastructure within the bowels of Memorial Gym as well as some new donor lounges, etc.

The thinking is that most football will be able to stay within Vanderbilt Stadium during construction, but that we may take the opportunity to play a few games outside of Vanderbilt Stadium (e.g. new Ingram soccer stadium, etc)
Captcook
Captain

Post by Captcook »

My understanding as a donor to the campaign that has been communicated to me is that there is a new power generating facility that has to be constructed first to help with the new facility infrastructure. Because of that, there won't be "shovel in the ground" work that visibly starts until end of next season and likely won't be COMPLETELY finished until 2025.

However, there are also other parts of this project that aren't as major and infrastructure related that also aren't called out in this announcement and that are in process now... new mens/womens locker rooms and other behind the scenes player infrastructure within the bowels of Memorial Gym as well as some new donor lounges, etc.

The thinking is that most football will be able to stay within Vanderbilt Stadium during construction, but that we may take the opportunity to play a few games outside of Vanderbilt Stadium (e.g. new Ingram soccer stadium, etc)
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

Posted on basketball board, but less traffic these days:

These look awesome.

One nit... if they are going to close off Jess Neely, I would think they would expand the first base line. Seems like a massive opportunity to get either more premium infield seating, more foul territory, connect outfield to infield, or maybe all 3.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Goosebumps!
VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Post by VandyfanKY »

More info is available at Vandy United under "Key Projects."

Existing video board is relocated/replaced by two boards, one in the NW corner and the other in the SE corner.

North end zone will have some additional premium seating up against the new basketball practice facility (full BB practice floors for both teams, weight rooms, coach's offices, hospitality suite). A new concourse will connect the east and west stands. A new football visitors' locker room for football will be located in this building.

The south end zone will have a range of premium seating and other options, including open air tailgating on the top. The SE video board appears to be larger than the other one. The south end will also house a new stadium acoustical system. A vastly larger athletic dining area is located here, and the new concourse will be twice as wide as the existing one with more concession options. A home team locker room will be located here as well.

McGugin Center will be 175 percent larger (and multi-level), adding space for academic support, Olympic sports, etc. This is a major boost for all sports and one fans will likely never see.

The indoor practice facility will have a full 120 yard field (with end zones) and be all-weather.

There's a lot here, more than we could have expected not long ago.
Georgiadore
Captain

Post by Georgiadore »

Is the old Parmer Field House still there? And would this mean tearing it down? I would assume so. I remember when the locker room was there.
VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Post by VandyfanKY »

Georgiadore wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:46 pm Is the old Parmer Field House still there? And would this mean tearing it down? I would assume so. I remember when the locker room was there.
Still there and likely first thing to go. The visitors' football locker room would logically be on the ground floor of the basketball practice facility, along with ADA restrooms and concessions for football. Logical spot for the officials' locker room as well. The upper part of the basketball facility connects directly into Memorial Gym, offering a BB hospitality suite on that end of the gym.

Some months ago a poster mentioned that the Palmer Field House could not be restored and did not meet historical preservation standards.
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

"Some months ago a poster mentioned that the Palmer Field House could not be restored and did not meet historical preservation standards."

Might have been said of our football program - until this! Very excited and think it will go a long way to improving the experience for the athletes and fans. Good for recruiting as well. Let's get started!
Locked Previous topicNext topic