10-Year Plan

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

10-Year Plan

Post by Go Vandy! »

According to the Dore Report #122, CCL has a "10-year plan"? I know: (1) Beating a dead horse for the 100th time dept., and (2) Maybe everyone but me knew this already and is ok with it.

I know he's not saying "Don't expect success for 9 more years." I think 3, maybe 4 years is reasonable for not much success, but coaches are getting fired in their 3rd year, and 2 years after winning a NC.

I know it's different at VU, but what can the difference possibly be for his 10th compared to his 5th? If there's not demonstrable success in years 5,6,7 with 100% his own recruits & the mythical facilities improvements, what do they have to sell to recruits, not to mention fans?

Maybe (probably) i'm full of it. I've been waiting 60 years (with less than 10 good-to-great seasons). Why not 10 more? Why not 100 more?

buffy
Vice Admiral

Re: 10-Year Plan

Post by buffy »

I think he's talking about a culture of sustained success. Think TCU. Think Boise State. It's not simply the winning. It's changing the culture of Vanderbilt to where you no longer rely on an individual (CJF) to sustain success. At least that's what I gather. The idea is that in year 10 you're bumping into your success ceiling. There's an expectation of non linear improvement between now and then.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

More BS....laughable. Let's make it 20
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

CCL will build approximately twice as many tractors in his 10 year plan as the Soviets built in a five year plan.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Johnmn555 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:31 am CCL will build approximately twice as many tractors in his 10 year plan as the Soviets built in a five year plan.
Meanwhile, we comrade fans will be serving a ten year sentence in the Gulag Dudley.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Johnmn555 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:31 am CCL will build approximately twice as many tractors in his 10 year plan as the Soviets built in a five year plan.
And if the 10-year plan projections don't pan out, the peasants simply starve.

And critics get sent to the gulag!
Last edited by FayetteDore on Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
thefan
Captain

Only the geniuses at VU could....

Post by thefan »

make winning football far more difficult than it has to be. Why not a 50 year plan? Build a nice new stadium with the possibility of expansion. Baseball at Vandy went from barely S.E.C. mediocre to a really great program. if they had the same old dump of a baseball facility, Corbin and most of the players would never have come to Vandy
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Geez guys, I doubt I have ten years left; would sure appreciate even a minor bowl much sooner than that. I have stopped waiting for CDM's SEC championship though.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

I am just going to have to make much better health choices. I really want to life long enough to see the 2031 Dores. Glorious
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I understand the cynicism. Makes a lot of sense. The staff has made plenty of rookie mistakes. I just don't understand the desire to write them off already. Most of us go into a new role with an idea of how things work only to be punched in the mouth with reality. That doesn't mean that we're gonna fail. Our talent is tragic right now. Let's see if he can put together some players and ideas that work over the next couple of years. Either he can or he can't. Let's find out.
Last edited by buffy on Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

I’m with you Old Dude. I made it to the 1956 Gator Bowl (1955 season), so I’ve been around a while. In 10 more years I’ll be 84! I, too am hoping/expecting more in less than a decade.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

frstev17 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:15 pm I’m with you Old Dude. I made it to the 1956 Gator Bowl (1955 season), so I’ve been around a while. In 10 more years I’ll be 84! I, too am hoping/expecting more in less than a decade.
I expect more next year. And everyone should also. That doesn't mean we're gonna win a bunch of games next year. We should expect progress.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Lets recall that Hawkins Field was bequeathed by a generous alumnus who was sick of less -than bush league
baseball facilities. Administration did not make that investment-at least that is my understanding.

Ultimately, being stingy and settling for second-rate (facilities, coaches, marketing, sound systems, etc etc) has come home to roost many times over. I have yet to see a sea change. Talk means nothing.

Show me. Now.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

buffy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:51 am I think he's talking about a culture of sustained success. Think TCU. Think Boise State. It's not simply the winning. It's changing the culture of Vanderbilt to where you no longer rely on an individual (CJF) to sustain success. At least that's what I gather. The idea is that in year 10 you're bumping into your success ceiling. There's an expectation of non linear improvement between now and then.

Buffy,
Thank you. I am with you. I believe the 10 years has to do with changing the culture and improving facilities. No, it will not be linear. There will be some bumps in the road. We have such a hole to dig out from to be competitive in the SEC that to me the negative nay-sayers are not being realistic. Yes, I would like to win tomorrow, but folks we have a long way to go. At least Coach has a plan.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

I am officially announcing my 7 year plan to wed Gal Gadot. 10 year timetables are for losers.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I thought we were already into a 60-year plan?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

belair wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:09 am I am officially announcing my 7 year plan to wed Gal Gadot. 10 year timetables are for losers.
I want to jump on this bandwagon.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

buffy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:11 am
belair wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:09 am I am officially announcing my 7 year plan to wed Gal Gadot. 10 year timetables are for losers.
I want to jump on this bandwagon.
You people need to dream bigger. 5 years, no longer.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

UAB went from not having a team to having a team in 2017 and has been to three bowl games since that time (this year will be their 4th). Yes, I realize they aren't playing in the SEC, but they are 6-3 this season and I have no doubt that they would beat Vanderbilt.

Vanderbilt can't even get its players to STAY for 4 years... and I'm not talking about players that are going pro early. I'm talking about players that are transferring to lesser conferences, lesser schools, lesser cities.

A 10-year plan??? That's a pathetic joke. I mean... the students only get 4 years. Bless their hearts, I guess it's a good thing that none of them care about football.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I am not disagreeing with HistoryBill in my remarks below. UAB is an example of what can be done with appropriate enthusiasm and financial support, It is just that they did not really start from scratch less than a decade ago.

UAB is not a good example because they had a fine team in their conference until about 2012 or 2013 (2014 actually). Their administration shut it down for no good reason and brought it back within 2 years max (spring 2015 actually) (their HC, Bill Clark, I think stayed in Birmingham waiting for the reinstatement). I might be off a little on the dates and exact sequence, but I am close. Here is an article from this past August that touches on it.
https://sports.yahoo.com/ua-bs-football ... 53749.html
And another good article:
https://footballscoop.com/news/uab-blaz ... conference
And from Wikipedia: The UAB football program was terminated after the 2014 season but was reinstated shortly thereafter.[3][4] The team went on hiatus for two seasons before returning in 2017. UAB won both its first conference championship and bowl game in program history in 2018.

In some ways the Vandy United program sounds a bit like what UAB did with its fundraising connected with the revival of the program in the spring of 2015.
Last edited by Seadog73 on Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Locked Previous topicNext topic