What I'd like to see in the next few games

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

What I'd like to see in the next few games

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Of course I want a win, but I at least want to see some semblance of an improving scoring offense.

Over the last three seasons VU has ranked 125, 125, and currently 130 in scoring offense (130 is last in FBS). That's a long drought, and after watching Saturday's games we might as well be wearing leather helmets. That's how far behind we seem in today's video game offenses. We're averaging 13 points a game. The nation's leader in scoring offense, Pitt, is averaging 52 points per game. I know we played a game against Georgia, but it doesn't seem like we're even close to having an offense that averages 26 points per game let alone 52.

Some of this is attributable to our red zone offensive woes. During that same stretch of 2.5 seasons, our red zone scoring offense has an average ranking of 118. Even going back to 2018, when we had a decent scoring offense (ranked 69), we struggled to score in the red zone (ranked 120). That season, if we couldn't score on big plays, we generally weren't scoring. Now we have neither a big play offense nor the ability to score in close.

Our next three opponents--South Carolina, Mississippi State, and Missouri--currently rank 40, 70, and 123 in scoring defense, respectively. Obviously, it's that third game I'm eyeing in particular. I just want to see improvement by the end of the season that offers a ray of hope that we might break out of this extended funk in future seasons.

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Re: What I'd like to see in the next few games

Post by alathIN »

I think Lea's focus on the mental game is spot on. There have been some drives or quarters this year when the offense looked focused and confident... but there is a sense of fragility where something goes wrong and then they get the jitters and start committing penalties, missing blocks, normally sure-handed receivers start dropping the ball, forcing throws, etc. I never get the idea that the defense made adjustments etc; it's more the offense gets the yips and starts four-putting from three feet.
VU1970
Admiral

Re: What I'd like to see in the next few games

Post by VU1970 »

We’d have to play mistake-free football to be competitive in most of our games. Right now I’d settle for fewer mistakes. In the meantime, while we’re waiting for wins, I can still find things to cheer about, such as Patrick Smith’s effort against Florida, and I can see improvements that are not yet showing up on the scoreboard.

As for coaching, what I’m most eager to see are positive results on special teams. We are badly in need of reliable punting and place-kicking. If we get any more six-yard punts and misses-to-the-left on makable field goals, it seems reasonable to assume that at least one coach is not getting his job done. (Either Bulovas is correctable or he isn’t, and his coaches should know by now.)
Locked Previous topicNext topic