That Late PI Call

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Albert_Camus
Admiral

That Late PI Call

Post by Albert_Camus »

From where I was sitting in Section R, that last second PI call against the UConn defense looked like blatant Offensive PI with our receiver pushing off. Am I missing something?

Albert

I used to be disgusted. Now I am just amused.
Elvis Costello
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Re: That Late PI Call

Post by Johnmn555 »

I thought it could have been called either way, as the CT guy was interfering immediately before the push off.
vufan1
Rear Admiral

Post by vufan1 »

There was a hold before the ball was even thrown, and then pass interference before the VU receiver fought off the defender.

There was also pass interference (not called) on the 3rd and 4 incomplete pass. Luckily, it didn’t matter in the end.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

I was surprised they called anything there. Usually late in games the refs will swallow their whistles and keep their flags in their pockets because they don’t want one of their calls to influence the result of a game.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I watched the last minute of the game again this morning on ESPN+ and the UConn defensive back DEFINITELY pushed our guy all the way out of bounds. It was blatant defensive PI.

What was disappointing is how we couldn't tackle their backup QB with the huge knee brace on with the game on the line. That was very disheartening.
secchamp
Lieutenant

Post by secchamp »

I'm glad this question was asked. I was in section R also and thought the same thing. I figured there had to be some kind of interference beforehand that we couldn't see.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

On the kickcoff return after UConn scored the go-ahead touchdown, the officials called a penalty on UConn that moved the ball out to our 40. I somehow missed what the call was. What did UConn do on the return?
secchamp
Lieutenant

Post by secchamp »

NWOHDore wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:29 pm On the kickcoff return after UConn scored the go-ahead touchdown, the officials called a penalty on UConn that moved the ball out to our 40. I somehow missed what the call was. What did UConn do on the return?
It was illegal hands to the face.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

Our guy pushed off, but only because he was being mugged first. Watching on TV, I thought the same thing that you did initially, but on replay, it was clear as day. The announcers never questioned.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

On TV in real-time it looked like it was on us, but the defender interfered first, then we interfered.
Locked Previous topicNext topic