Dysfunction at the OC?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Dysfunction at the OC?

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Heard rumors of this over the weekend. Apparently David Raih was relieved of playcalling duties before the ETSU game and Joey Lynch is now calling plays.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... ing-duties

belair
Rear Admiral

Re: Dysfunction at the OC

Post by belair »

Wow. At least we know who to blame for that s***show. Thought it was Raih but falls on Lynch. Might as well go with someone who has NEVER called plays. Couldn't be worse.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Coach Lea addressed this in the press conference today... linked in another thread.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

When Lynch and Raih were hired, it was unclear for a long time who would actually be engineering the offense and calling the plays. In the spring game Raih's wife had just had a baby, so Lynch handled everything. Through the spring and summer it looked like it was Raih; at the event I attended in late July, it was clear that Raih was the OC. The responsibility for play-calling changed about a week into fall camp, Lea said today. Norval McKenzie has input also; "it's collaborative", Lea said, but we lean to Lynch because of his play-calling experience.

BTW, Lynch was down on the field next to Lea Saturday, while Raih was presumably up in the box.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

So our passing game coordinator was an OC for seven years and has play calling experience. Our OC has no experience as OC or at play calling. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Rookie hiring mistakes.

Lynch/Raih need to get better in a hurry.
dorepleganger
Rear Admiral

Post by dorepleganger »

BrentVU wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:02 pm When Lynch and Raih were hired, it was unclear for a long time who would actually be engineering the offense and calling the plays. In the spring game Raih's wife had just had a baby, so Lynch handled everything. Through the spring and summer it looked like it was Raih; at the event I attended in late July, it was clear that Raih was the OC. The responsibility for play-calling changed about a week into fall camp, Lea said today. Norval McKenzie has input also; "it's collaborative", Lea said, but we lean to Lynch because of his play-calling experience.

BTW, Lynch was down on the field next to Lea Saturday, while Raih was presumably up in the box.
Isn't this a lot like the idea that if you have 2 QBs, you don't have 1?!?
belair
Rear Admiral

Re: Dysfunction at the OC?

Post by belair »

Well we have 1 running back so there is that.
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

Not a good sign. It's bad enough when we see it after a 3-minute time-out, but after a 9 month time-out nobody's even sure who's calling the plays? "Just get open" isn't going to cut it.

It can only improve.
Last edited by Troubadore on Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

Interesting and not in a good way.
Lynch called the plays in the spring game and I was very impressed with the variety and production I saw.
Lynch was on def on the sidelines and very actively involved with both qbs.
So what the hell happened with Raih? Why was he ever given the title and what could've possibly happened in the first week of fall ball that influenced Lea to make this change?

I guess on one hand, if Lea saw a glaring deficiency from Raih, I guess it was good that he was decisive in making a change. But on the other hand: we lost by 20 at home to ETSU and didn't score a td - and also on the same hand (the bad one) why did Lea hire Raih to begin with?

The rocky start of the Clark Lea era is swerving off a mere bumpy road into a canyon filled with giant boulders of molten lava.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I guess I'm looking for the glimmer of hope in this message indicating that the offensive play calling would get better; however, it is stated that the coaching responsibilities actually changed BEFORE the ETSU game. So if Lynch called that game, what is different this week other than an OFFICIAL announcement has been made for a change that apparently occurred weeks ago.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

I say let Auric call the plays.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

VU1970 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:42 pm I say let Auric call the plays.
Epic fail.

Albert_Camus
Admiral

Post by Albert_Camus »

This at least provides an explanation. We know that Seals has skills. Just maybe they will get this worked out before next week. If not, bring back Ludwig. He can turn Seals into the weapon that he did Kyle.
Albert

I used to be disgusted. Now I am just amused.
Elvis Costello
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

Albert_Camus wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:25 pm This at least provides an explanation. We know that Seals has skills. Just maybe they will get this worked out before next week. If not, bring back Ludwig. He can turn Seals into the weapon that he did Kyle.
I liked Ludwig. He uncorked some big games for us. Shurmur was an underrated rare talent, but I thought Ludwig had a decent scheme.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I'm going with Auric in the press box and Roanoke down on the field calling plays. After Coach Lea gets sacked after a poor loss to CSU, we promote Roanoke to HC and Auric to AC.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Johnmn555 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:54 pm
I'm going with Auric in the press box and Roanoke down on the field calling plays. After Coach Lea gets sacked after a poor loss to CSU, we promote Roanoke to HC and Auric to AC.
Air Conditioner?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

VandyPhile wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:44 pm
Johnmn555 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:54 pm
Air Conditioner?
As cool as the flip side of the pillow...

buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I'm just not gonna read too much into anything. Wait and see.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Doreknox wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:05 pm So our passing game coordinator was an OC for seven years and has play calling experience. Our OC has no experience as OC or at play calling. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Rookie hiring mistakes.

Yep, Lea made a rookie mistake: I suspect we have all made mistakes, especially when new to a responsibility. Let us hope that Lea is a fast learner and decisive with his new knowledge. I expect there will be more mistakes, but smart people learn from them.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

charlestonalum wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:10 pm
Doreknox wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:05 pm So our passing game coordinator was an OC for seven years and has play calling experience. Our OC has no experience as OC or at play calling. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Rookie hiring mistakes.

Yep, Lea made a rookie mistake: I suspect we have all made mistakes, especially when new to a responsibility. Let us hope that Lea is a fast learner and decisive with his new knowledge. I expect there will be more mistakes, but smart people learn from them.
Smart people have a vision for who and what they want to hire before hiring two offensive coordinators one day apart.
Locked Previous topicNext topic