So... is Clark Lea the right man to resuscitate Vandy?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

So... is Clark Lea the right man to resuscitate Vandy?

Post by BrentVU »

Clark Lea is the fourth coach hired since VandyMania has been around (not counting Robbie Caldwell). What has amazed me over the last year is how universally praised this hire has been by the Vandy football community. There's hardly been a negative word to say here, or anywhere else.

That certainly wasn't the case for Derek Mason, or James Franklin, or Bobby Johnson. (In all three of those cases, people criticized the hire. Bobby Johnson had never coached at the FBS level. James Franklin-- very few had even heard of him; he was young and had no head coaching experience. Derek Mason had a good resume as a coordinator, but after Franklin, many thought David Williams had "settled" and should have gone after a "proven head coach.")

But Lea? He's a Vandy alumnus, a known quantity, and that counts for a lot. His resume is probably no stronger than Derek Mason's. But after James Franklin, it seems no one is underestimating "young and enthusiastic." Much like Franklin, Lea is attentive to "changing the culture" and re-examining every aspect of the program. But Lea comes in talking about a ten-year project to transform that culture; let's face it, very few coaches are given that much time.

So now, you've had a chance to see how Lea interacts with players and fans. You've seen the staff he has built (young, enthusiastic, much like himself). You've heard his aspirations. So my question to you is, a few days away from game one... do you think he's the right man? Do you think his approach will work? How long will we have to wait before we start to see the effects? Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the state of the program?

PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Re: So... is Clark Lea the right man to resuscitate Vandy?

Post by PeteFox »

We'll know pretty darn quick if he has a chance to succeed. Just like we knew after the first two Derek Mason games, I think we'll have a good feel for probability of success after the first two or three games.

I'm solidly behind him. Talk is cheap, but he talks a good game, a la Franklin. But Franklin produced pretty quickly. BJ was a fairly good coach, but EXTREMELY conservative and boring, with ultimately doomed him. Mason had no clue from day one.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Johnson won 2 games each of his first three seasons but four of the six wins were against Furman, UConn, EKU, and Chattanooga. So by all means, let's judge CCL after two weeks.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Pete, I somewhat disagree. I believe in Lea based on the reaction from the reaction around college football, but I don't think much will be learned early this year, and I think we're up against it all season. We were not competitive last year, and the roster is thinner than it has been in 15 years. Mason's shortcomings were evident out of the gate as 3 years of success were lost in a half of awful football.

Lea has a great plan, builds good relationships, and has the backing of an athletic department with more financial capacity than ever before, but the lack of traditions, fan base, and the NIL landscape will make it difficult to compete in the SEC under the best of circumstances.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

In the first few games we will be able to see if the team and coaches are playing sound, fundamental football, or playing HUA like Mason's crew.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

Lea is 100% the right hire for the position at this time.
His resume is damn near perfect for us.
Now... CAN HE DO IT? Can he "resuscitate Vandy" That question is so complex and loaded that his CV can't possibly predict the answer. For starters, given how easy it was for us to back slide after Franklin - one could argue we really weren't on a sustainable path. (Yeah yeah Mason wasn't ready, I know) Meaning the job isn't to breathe life into the program - it's bigger than that. We have to be re-born.
For instance I would argue that Bryce Drew was the perfect hire - on paper. And well... we all saw the results. But THAT would be a resuscitation project.
Now let me be clear - I'm 100% sure that Lea will fare better than Drew - but that's just something to consider for perspective.
But on the date his hire was announced and through everything he's said and done since - I'm confident he's the right guy for us right now. Hopefully he'll be able to wrap his arms around the huge task at hand and take us toward a period of sustained success.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

BILTMORE wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:44 am Lea is 100% the right hire for the position at this time.
His resume is damn near perfect for us.
Now... CAN HE DO IT? Can he "resuscitate Vandy" That question is so complex and loaded that his CV can't possibly predict the answer. For starters, given how easy it was for us to back slide after Franklin - one could argue we really weren't on a sustainable path. (Yeah yeah Mason wasn't ready, I know) Meaning the job isn't to breathe life into the program - it's bigger than that. We have to be re-born.
For instance I would argue that Bryce Drew was the perfect hire - on paper. And well... we all saw the results. But THAT would be a resuscitation project.
Now let me be clear - I'm 100% sure that Lea will fare better than Drew - but that's just something to consider for perspective.
But on the date his hire was announced and through everything he's said and done since - I'm confident he's the right guy for us right now. Hopefully he'll be able to wrap his arms around the huge task at hand and take us toward a period of sustained success.
I was warned by a former writer for this site back in the day that after seeing how George Washington blew out Valpo in the second half of an NIT game with no adjustments by Drew other than more smiling and clapping, that he was not "all that." He won plenty games at Valpo against weak competition but when he fled Valpo in the nick of time before they switched from the not-very-good-at-the-time Horizon league to the tougher (at the time anyway) MVC where they went four years without a winning record.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

BrentVU asked: So my question to you is, a few days away from game one... do you think he's the right man? Do you think his approach will work? How long will we have to wait before we start to see the effects? Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the state of the program?

bornadore57 replied: I do believe (maybe "hope" is the more accurate word) that Clark Lea is the "right man" for Vanderbilt football. I love his approach and see him as a "manager" out to build a program. I must admit, I did believe James Franklin was the "right man", but, in hindsight, see him as more of a "personality" than a program "manager". I like the idea of approaching this challenge as a "manager." I also believe that Clark Lea has a more universal backing of the university and its fan base than any previous football coach has ever had. I believe that will help him build a program of which we can all be proud. I believe we are already seeing the effects of Coach Lea's presence. I have read a lot of "good" in connection to the Vanderbilt football program - including team preparation, the coaches and staff, recruiting commitments, game day experience, and commitment of the university to all athletics (everything which helps one program helps every program).

I am extremely optimistic about our football program. In fact, I haven't been this optimistic since the kick-off of the Vanderbilt - Temple football game in 2014.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

You've heard his aspirations. So my question to you is, a few days away from game one... do you think he's the right man?
I certainly hope so but obviously no idea.

Do you think his approach will work?
The man checks many of the boxes that you hope a HC can check. He's very smart, organized, innovative, hard working and really has a vested interest in Vanderbilt's success. Ultimately, I believe it's more important that he is supported at every level from the administration, specifically recruiting. We all know that is not a given.

How long will we have to wait before we start to see the effects?
Almost immediately - In terms of effort, organization and generally having a good game plan and truly competing.
A couple of years - in terms of wins and recruiting respective to the rest of the league.

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the state of the program? Right now, optimistic as long as he seems supported by the administration and everyone seems to be buying in.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

After experiencing James Franklin, we kinda know what signs to look for when you have a guy that can transform a culture in a positive direction. Only Clark and James have shown that. Both of them showed it before we took the first snap. Nobody else has ever sniffed that dynamic.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

PeteFox wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:32 am In the first few games we will be able to see if the team and coaches are playing sound, fundamental football, or playing HUA like Mason's crew.
This...It will be apparent.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Nobody predicted after Mason’s first few games that he would beat Them three straight times and take Vanderbilt to multiple bowls. Granted, by mid-season 2019 pretty much everybody knew it was over, whatever they had thought previously.

With regard to Coach Lea, here’s what I’m looking for, more than wins and losses: despite the upside limitations of current players, whatever those might be, can this team get visibly better over the course of the season? Can our units look like they know what they’re doing, even if they’re sometimes unable to do it against superior manpower? Can most of our opponents get back on the team bus knowing they’ve been in a ************ football game? Can the 2021 Commodores get it back together after inevitable adversity? Can the coaching staff make consistently good in-game decisions?

I want to look forward to watching Vanderbilt football again, and not dread turning on the TV. I want to believe “we can still win this thing” when the third quarter ends.

And yes, I want Lea’s teams to beat Them at least three times over the next five years. If he wants to start by beating Them this season, that’s all right with me.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

VU1970 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:40 pm Can our units look like they know what they’re doing, even if they’re sometimes unable to do it against superior manpower?
And yes, I want Lea’s teams to beat Them at least three times over the next five years. If he wants to start by beating Them this season, that’s all right with me.
This
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

I say "yes".

First, he comes in with a plan, just like Franklin. Both had been planning to be head coaches for some time before they were hired. Mason, probably not.

Second, the timing of hiring Lea was far better than the hiring of Mason. Lea had time to assemble the staff he wanted. Mason was hired towards the end of the recruiting cycle, after many assistant coaches who wanted to move had already done so. Mason had to scramble to get assistants, some of whom were over their heads or not qualified.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

PeteFox wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:32 am In the first few games we will be able to see if the team and coaches are playing sound, fundamental football, or playing HUA like Mason's crew.
Success this year will be whether we can stop the STUPID mistakes, learn to tackle without using arms only, and at least try to open up the offense.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

I’d like to see Vanderbilt have some success this year ala Sam Pittman at Arky. Is that unreasonable? They weren’t very good 2 years ago.
But his players completely bought in and to me that was immediate progress.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Lea is a good fit and knows what can/needs to be done. It will take at least 4 years to see the fruits of his labor. The big difference between Lea and Franklin is with Lea I expect slower but far more sustained progress. Lea will get it done and it will last much longer than with JF.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

charlestonalum wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:11 pm Lea is a good fit and knows what can/needs to be done. It will take at least 4 years to see the fruits of his labor. The big difference between Lea and Franklin is with Lea I expect slower but far more sustained progress. Lea will get it done and it will last much longer than with JF.
This.

Because of the roster and circumstances, it will take much longer for HCCL to succeed than Franklin. Franklin inherited some really good pieces, then motivated and molded them. Lea inherits very, very little, plus I think he is much more deliberate and less reliant on pure emotion. Lea won't look successful this year and probably not next year, either. But I think the whole dynamic of the athletic department and our new coaching staff will ultimately bring excellent success here. And we all KNOW Lea wants to succeed at his alma mater. HE WILL HAVE A LEARNING CURVE, much more than Jimmy Frank, but he will get it done. Home run hire.
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

Yes. BUT if he is not, I will not blame anyone for hiring him instead of X or Y. Coach Lea is the person I have the most faith In succeeding at Vanderbilt at this point in time.

I feel that by the end of the third game this year we will know with some certainty if he is the right man. In watching Scott Frost at Nebraska, NE was confident they had the right hire, but after watching the number of self inflicted mistake (penalties, turnovers, fielding a punt on the 1, etc) I am not sure. If Lea is as focused on details as I believe he is, then the attention to detail will translate to the players. IF Vandy can play clean games, the wins will come. CBJ’s teams played clean games and laid the foundation for Franklin. Caldwell and Mason’s teams never played a clean game even when they won.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Interesting comparison with Scott Frost Lynchsr. I wonder why he was so successful at UCF, and has struggled so at NE? It seems he would have greater resources and name recognition at NE, leading to similar or equal success. But not close so far. I wonder why, other than the Thomas Wolfe syndrome - you can't go home again.

I think CCL will succeed at VU and will stick around. Maybe not undefeated, national championship success, but close enough for all of us.
Locked Previous topicNext topic