Here's our Center- Liam Robbins

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Here's our Center- Liam Robbins

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Minnesota transfer now coming to Vandy! Just what we needed.

frstev17
Captain

Re: Here's our Center- Liam Robbins

Post by frstev17 »

Great get!

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

His uncle is Ed Conroy, former Minnesota assistant (and head coach at The Citadel and Tulane) rumored to be coming to Vandy.

Liam averaged 11.7 points and 6.6 rebounds a game in 23 games. He shot 44.1% and 32.7% from three. He also had an impressive 62 blocks. He was at Drake for two seasons before transferring to Minnesota for one season.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

BOOM!!
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Great news. Just what we need. Welcome aboard, Liam. :) :D

For those naysayers - the transfer portal is not a one way street just leading out of Vandy. Hopefully we land another good player.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

The portal is full of guards and very few centers. That makes this transfer BIG.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

He's a legit 7-0, 235. Had 27 and 14 against Big 10 runner up Ohio State.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm His uncle is Ed Conroy, former Minnesota assistant (and head coach at The Citadel and Tulane) rumored to be coming to Vandy.

Liam averaged 11.7 points and 6.6 rebounds a game in 23 games. He shot 44.1% and 32.7% from three. He also had an impressive 62 blocks. He was at Drake for two seasons before transferring to Minnesota for one season.
Interesting how everyone just blew right past this comment. Uhhhhh getting a recruit and hiring the uncle just seems suspicious. That's Memphis kind of stuff. In this new dawn of annual transfers, interesting that he has already transferred from Drake to Minnesota. Hope it works out but I'm just getting skeptical.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:22 pm The portal is full of guards and very few centers. That makes this transfer BIG.
No pun intended...
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

cc11316 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:55 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm His uncle is Ed Conroy, former Minnesota assistant (and head coach at The Citadel and Tulane) rumored to be coming to Vandy.

Interesting how everyone just blew right past this comment. Uhhhhh getting a recruit and hiring the uncle just seems suspicious. That's Memphis kind of stuff. In this new dawn of annual transfers, interesting that he has already transferred from Drake to Minnesota. Hope it works out but I'm just getting skeptical.
I understand the sentiment. But a former head coach at an academically oriented school and a service academy who also has P5 assistant experience wants to sign on as an assistant with VU? I’ll take him.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

LawoftheWest wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:34 pm Great news. Just what we need. Welcome aboard, Liam. :) :D

For those naysayers - the transfer portal is not a one way street just leading out of Vandy. Hopefully we land another good player.
Is anyone as good as Scottie Pippen Jr. available? Robbins would have been of great help this year. At the moment our starting point guard is Wright and our starting shooting guard is Thomas for next year. Our current roster looks like this:

Wright
Thomas
Stute
Disu
Robbins
Lawrence
Odisupe
Millora-Brown.

By my count, we have two players who are SEC quality - Disu and Wright. Robbins probably is, and one would hope that Thomas and Stute improve enough to get there, but would be stretched as starters right now. Lawrence missed most of the season, Odisupe probably should have considered a redshirt when combining his playing time with our desperate need for size last season. Millora-Brown was completely out-muscled this season and if he isn't in the weight room right now and working on putting on 20 lbs of muscle, then I don't see how we can expect anything of him next season.

To have a hope of being competitive next season (beside the obvious of having Disu return healthy), we need a credible point guard, a shooting guard, and backups for the wing spot and PG spot, all of whom have to be significantly better than Thomas and Evans were this season. Our baseline is that we have lost almost 30 PPG between Pippen and Evans from a team that went 3-13 in conference. It will take a lot to get to where we were at the end of the season, and a whole lot more to improve beyond that.

Which is to say that the naysayers aren't being negative without cause. We have to be hopeful about landing at least three more good players IMO, and need at least two of them to be sure fire starters (more like Byars than Harvey). Without a lot of high quality additions, we are looking at next season being somewhere in the 3-5 win range in conference and a Wednesday SEC tournament appearance.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Jason94 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:06 pm
LawoftheWest wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:34 pm Great news. Just what we need. Welcome aboard, Liam. :) :D

Is anyone as good as Scottie Pippen Jr. available? Robbins would have been of great help this year. At the moment our starting point guard is Wright and our starting shooting guard is Thomas for next year. Our current roster looks like this:

Wright
Thomas
Stute
Disu
Robbins
Lawrence
Odisupe
Millora-Brown.
Jason, fair points overall. However, did you intentionally omit FR Daniels and Dorsey or just neglect to include them. Obviously we can’t expect them to come in and make an immediate impact, but they should be reflected on the roster. They could at least provide some depth, but your argument still stands, for sure. If Pippen doesn’t return, the team will need an immediate impact transfer PG.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:33 pm
Jason94 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:06 pm

Wright
Thomas
Stute
Disu
Robbins
Lawrence
Odisupe
Millora-Brown.
Jason, fair points overall. However, did you intentionally omit FR Daniels and Dorsey or just neglect to include them. Obviously we can’t expect them to come in and make an immediate impact, but they should be reflected on the roster. They could at least provide some depth, but your argument still stands, for sure. If Pippen doesn’t return, the team will need an immediate impact transfer PG.
I forgot them, but don't expect much of true freshmen next season. At least if we are relying on them for more than depth that is not a good sign IMO. If one of them provide even a Evans level of production that would have to be considered as successful as one could hope for. For context, Evans level of production is about the equivalent freshmen seasons of Wade Baldwin or Shan Foster from a scoring standpoint. Certainly not expecting someone to replace 21 ppg.
Hutch37
Commander

Post by Hutch37 »

just can't understand any negativity-- signing this big center was something that had to happen to give us a realistic chance to be in the conversation next year. Well- we got a big guy and he seems pretty legit. Pippen going through the draft process makes great sense but it seems doubtful that he will get drafted right now- one more year to get stronger will help him. I bet his biggest jump will need to be in his defense. So if he comes back we have a freshman PG for depth. Another big if is Disu recovering but supposedly he will in plenty of time for the season. Having a legit big will make a huge difference on both sides of the court and should finally start opening some more shooting lanes. Let's try and have some fun with this news! I may be the optimist but better days are ahead - CJS is a pretty intense dude and I wouldn't bet against him pulling this off
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

For the record, it doesn’t sound like there is any kind of “rift” between Scotty and Stack (check his quote in the article below). And the only thing I’ve seen is an unsubstantiated rumor on this board from someone who claims to have heard something from an ACC coach they know(?).
No reason to believe any transfer talk until it becomes official. Scotty may well rejoin the fold next season after testing the waters.

https://www.nba.com/news/vanderbilts-sc ... h-no-agent
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Conroy is the nephew of the late author, Pat Conroy, who also played at The Citadel, and who often came to see his nephew's teams play here before he went to Tulane. He is a fine man. Minnesota fired their coaching staff including Conroy who Stackhouse hired. Cc, your response is uncalled for: who blames Liam for wanting to leave the place that fired his uncle and why shouldn't he follow him to Vanderbilt? There is nothing at all shady in this.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:39 pm For the record, it doesn’t sound like there is any kind of “rift” between Scotty and Stack (check his quote in the article below). And the only thing I’ve seen is an unsubstantiated rumor on this board from someone who claims to have heard something from an ACC coach they know(?).
No reason to believe any transfer talk until it becomes official. Scotty may well rejoin the fold next season after testing the waters.

https://www.nba.com/news/vanderbilts-sc ... h-no-agent

Thank you, Ultimate. It does not sound like any rift between Scotty and our coach.

If Scotty does not receive interest from an NBA team prior to the draft, the announcement of the Minnesota center transferring to Vandy may be a factor in him returning, rather than the speculated transferring.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

There was no need for Odusipe to redshirt. He like everyone gets a free year because of Covid.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

If a guy who was a volunteer assistant for a high school team gets hired for a $200k/yr job and brings a player with him it certainly looks iffy.
My thought when I saw Conroy's CV was he sounds like a great addition to the staff even if he doesn't bring Liam with him.

And I agree with Jason there are still holes on the roster to fill but I don't think that is insurmountable. It's a heck of a lot easier to find a plug-in guard or two than a plug-in center.

If you asked the two most glaring weaknesses of the program last month, lack of a big man / rim protector and lack of an assistant coach with strong college hoops experience would have been in just about everyone's top 5 and a lot of people's top two.

I will be surprised if neither Daniels or Lawrence turns out to be a solid contributor next season. Maybe neither is a starter but at least one of those two should be able to turn into a quality backup in the rotation.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

alathIN wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:00 pm

I will be surprised if neither Daniels or Lawrence turns out to be a solid contributor next season. Maybe neither is a starter but at least one of those two should be able to turn into a quality backup in the rotation.

I do not understand what you are saying. Neither will be a contributor next year?
Locked Previous topicNext topic