Disappointed

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

thefan
Captain

Disappointed

Post by thefan »

No new stadium. Fans left out again. Spending money on redundancy; already have adequate practice and administrative facilities. Can't get excited about announcement; classic case of analysis paralysis! At least upgrade and put in more restrooms.

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Re: Disappointed

Post by alathIN »

Disappointed. Really? A Vanderbilt fan? Disappointed?
Dude, if this is your most disappointing experience as a Vanderbilt fan, you cannot have been a Vanderbilt fan for more than eleven seconds.

It has been said hundreds of times by coaches, players, and recruiting gurus that facilities like cafeterias and weight rooms are where players spend most of their time and generate a much bigger bang-for-buck than money spent on stadiums.
You should listen to Bruno Regan talk about the weight room nonsense. The weight room is so small that the players can only lift weights by position group. So if you're a wide receiver and the weight room is open for WR's at 0800, and you have a 0900 class, you will be cutting your workout short every single time and running late to class. Sometimes they have to carry weights and benches to the practice field so they have a place to lift.
This is the kind of everyday annoyance that kills morale and is a major drag on recruiting.
Meanwhile they are in the stadium 6 times a year.

As a fan, I say spend the money on the facilities that matter to the players. This will boost recruiting and retaining players who are already here. Which in turn will contribute to winning a dang game every now and then.

I can keep peeing in a substandard urinal for another decade if we get a couple more wins in exchange.

Oh, and by the way, stadium upgrades are one of the five major things on the list.
So you may be getting a better place to pee anway.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

Alath don’t feed the Chugger troll
thefan
Captain

How many times have I seen on...

Post by thefan »

the local news that the special cafeteria for the athletes at Vandy was exceptional. I have seen news reports on the weight room and it looked more than adequate. They have a beautiful enclosed practice field and a nice outdoor practice field. Never said, Dude, it was my greatest disappointment but as a fan I haven't drunk the Kool-Aid either. Dudley stadium has been rated as the worst college stadium in the country. When asked about a new stadium, the AD basically said that they know about it. The program has imploded again and it will probably do the same under Lea, get better and then he leaves. Vandy baseball really, really struggled till Hawkins Field and stadium were constructed, program took off, nicer player facilities followed. If you like to stand in long lines to pea then you should feel right at home; it's the Vandy home game experience! Oh yeah, ad hominem attacks mean you either have no argument or a very weak one!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Last edited by Go Vandy! on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Re: How many times have I seen on...

Post by katmai »

thefan wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:27 am the local news that the special cafeteria for the athletes at Vandy was exceptional. I have seen news reports on the weight room and it looked more than adequate. They have a beautiful enclosed practice field and a nice outdoor practice field. Never said, Dude, it was my greatest disappointment but as a fan I haven't drunk the Kool-Aid either. Dudley stadium has been rated as the worst college stadium in the country. When asked about a new stadium, the AD basically said that they know about it. The program has imploded again and it will probably do the same under Lea, get better and then he leaves. Vandy baseball really, really struggled till Hawkins Field and stadium were constructed, program took off, nicer player facilities followed. If you like to stand in long lines to pea then you should feel right at home; it's the Vandy home game experience! Oh yeah, ad hominem attacks mean you either have no argument or a very weak one!
I'm not an architect, so I don't know what is feasible, but if Vanderbilt can do something to expand/improve the bathroom facilities, widen the concourses, and provide better food options, it would go a long way to improving the fan experience. They said that you have to do things in the proper order, and spending the money initially on things the athletes use the most makes the most sense. That will help attract more elite athletes, which is what you need to win.
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:53 am Sorry, The renovated Hawk had nothing to do with it. Corbin without the renovation would have an elite team. The renovations without Corbin would be Mewbourne.
You really think Corbin would have come to Vandy with the old facilities they had before he arrived? I don't think so!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Last edited by Go Vandy! on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

thefan wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:17 am
Go Vandy! wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:53 am Sorry, The renovated Hawk had nothing to do with it. Corbin without the renovation would have an elite team. The renovations without Corbin would be Mewbourne.
You really think Corbin would have come to Vandy with the old facilities they had before he arrived? I don't think so!
Hawkins opened in 2002 as a rather modest facility I believe, Corbin started in 2003. There have been, I believe, five significant renovations since the 2002 opening. Not sure the facilities at the time played a big part in Corbin's decision to come here though promises of improvements may have. Would guess that CTC saw a broader picture opportunity.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

I'm Happy

Post by vujoe »

With the leadership of Lee and the Chancellor. The fan BE A FAN!
thefan
Captain

Not saying Corbin...

Post by thefan »

was not an important factor in Vandy's success, but facilities are also important. Many SEC teams about the time Mewbourne arrived at Vandy were starting to get really nice facilities and Vandy facilities were horrible, to say the least. Vanderbilt stadium is sub-par to S.E.C. standards, really, really sub-par!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Re: How many times have I seen on...

Post by alathIN »

thefan wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:27 am I have seen news reports on the weight room and it looked more than adequate.
The problems with the weight room are well documented.
The capacity is so small that players have to be assigned access to the weight room by position groups.
This in turn causes the players all kinds of problems with the players' class schedules.
For some workouts the players or staff have had to carry weight equipment to the practice field and lift there.
It is a common occurrence for the HVAC to break down and leave the players to lift in an unventilated un-air-conditioned weight room. In Nashville Tennessee.
These problems have been publicly described by multiple players and published all over the place.
Bruno Regan has spoken about it at length on the Vandy Sports podcast. It's been described multiple times on the Bleav in Vanderbilt Football podcast by former Vanderbilt football players.
But you saw a clip of the weight room on the news and it looked okay to you. Seriously?

It is not ad hominem to point out when someone is objectively wrong on the facts.

You are objectively wrong on the facts.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Also:
The Vanderbilt football team does not have an indoor practice facility.
Vanderbilt University has an indoor athletic facility to which access is scheduled for football, lacrosse, soccer, intramural sports, and the faculty/staff/students. The football program only has access to the facility during specified time slots and the physical location of the facility is such that practices cannot be quickly moved from outdoors to indoors. This has created well documented scheduling problems and interrupted practices especially when there is unexpected bad weather. I don't know if you've ever lived in Nashville, but the weather there can be... interesting.

There is no rational fact-based argument that Vanderbilt's football program facilities are adequate by current standards. It is simply objectively untrue.
Until recently, South Carolina and Missouri were the other SEC programs along with Vanderbilt that had extremely poor facilities. Both of those schools have spent as much or more than Vanderbilt is proposing on their facilities - so Vanderbilt is now alone at the bottom of the heap for facilities and it's not even close.

Finally:
Even if you had a point that the priority for upgrades should be the stadium instead of the facilities (which is a distinctly outlier opinion and as outlined above based on factual inaccuracies), Vanderbilt fans still have much to celebrate with this announcement.
Since I went to Vanderbilt in 1983 the University has had several major capital campaigns. In the early 90s they had a capital campaign for the university endowment which was at the time an unprecedented amount of fund raising and made national news.
In all that time, there has NEVER been a capital campaign for athletics.
Even if you had a point about the details of what is being done with the money - which you don't - the simple fact that the university is undertaking a capital campaign for athletics is a breakthrough that all Vanderbilt fans should be celebrating.
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

I feel really good about the announcement and am excited! If the stadium is the main priority, even though I LOVE ON CAMPUS FOOTBALL, we probably should have looked a bit closer and thought a bit longer about that soccer stadium -- it looks to be really, Really, REALLY NICE. I do hope we play a game every couple of years at that location . . . just to check it out a bit. I HATE soccer and I'll never set foot in it unless it's for a Vandy game or concert.
Couple of other observations: I would love to see something that gives a view from up high of the football field/baseball field that I think was mentioned as a long-shot possibility in the announcement.
On the basketball portion -- I too think that the offices and practice gym are pretty nice as they are and wonder if the $'s for basketball couldn't be better used in another way . . . . but then again, I AM SURE CSL and CJS and company know MUCH MORE about the needs than I do. I do LOVE those "hallowed halls of Memorial"!
Everyone AD* and enjoy the beautiful Easter weekend!
Locked Previous topicNext topic