best comeback win for Vandy ever?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dore74
Vice Admiral

best comeback win for Vandy ever?

Post by dore74 »

Can't remember a comeback win in any VU sport in a game this critical--more used to geeznotagain (best handle ever I may add
Both teams had seeing eye doubles in the 9th, Tyler Brown, was the difference--along with Harry Ray catching their infield pop while they could not quite reach ours.
Hopefully the UofM stud pitchers are power pitchers, we seem to do better against them then against the slow junk slow tossers--but its baseball, so who the heck knows. Their run in the NCAA's says a lot for biding your time and getting hot in the end.
OTOH we beat some really good teams in our pod of four to get here and, as dramatic as last night was, did so in 3-0 manner. And our pitching has been killer as well (with our bats due??)
Lastly, two words, Tim Corbin. Vandy's GOAT

Titans309fan
Admiral

Re: best comeback win for Vandy ever?

Post by Titans309fan »

I need to look back and see how many 9th inning comebacks Vandy has had over the years. In terms of "best comebacks", being down 9-1 to Mississippi in the SEC tourney final this year and winning 11-10 on a walkoff hit was as impressive a comeback as I have ever seen.

This one was certainly special, but I would put but the Ole Miss one a little higher.
zdore
Commander

Post by zdore »

Several years ago, Vandy was behind UT 8-5, bottom of the ninth, last game of the regular season, needed a win to go to Hoover for the first time in several years. After the walk off Grand Slam it was 9-8. I believe many think that heroic was the spark of the beginning of our current run. All of these details are by unresearched memory. Different stakes but quite dramatic. Believe there is a YouTube.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

There have been more improbable comebacks such as the aforementioned Ole MS SEC final, but we never had one with the stakes this high.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

zdore wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:30 am Several years ago, Vandy was behind UT 8-5, bottom of the ninth, last game of the regular season, needed a win to go to Hoover for the first time in several years. After the walk off Grand Slam it was 9-8. I believe many think that heroic was the spark of the beginning of our current run. All of these details are by unresearched memory. Different stakes but quite dramatic. Believe there is a YouTube.
That was the Worth Scott 2003 homer versus UT. The HR that launched a program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0w1xXugVJE
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

The 2015 win over Cal State Fullerton in the first game of the CWS was pretty memorable (and important) as well. Spread over 2 days because of rain, Vandy was down 3-1 going into the bottom of the 9th. Weil doubled, and Reynolds drove him in with a double. Then Kendall blasted a home run for the walk off win, helping Vandy stay in the winners bracket.
DoreZag
Captain

Post by DoreZag »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:47 am
zdore wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:30 am Several years ago, Vandy was behind UT 8-5, bottom of the ninth, last game of the regular season, needed a win to go to Hoover for the first time in several years. After the walk off Grand Slam it was 9-8. I believe many think that heroic was the spark of the beginning of our current run. All of these details are by unresearched memory. Different stakes but quite dramatic. Believe there is a YouTube.
That was the Worth Scott 2003 homer versus UT. The HR that launched a program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0w1xXugVJE
That was certainly our greatest home plate celebration!
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Watching that Worth Scott grand slam still gives me goosebumps because of The ramifications it had in launching what has become one of the elite programs in college baseball. Worth will always have a special place in Vandy baseball lore!
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

It's a tie, last night and the 2015 win over Fullerton.
Come from behind wins in Omaha dwarf all other come from behind wins IMHO.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

zdore wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:30 am Several years ago, Vandy was behind UT 8-5, bottom of the ninth....
The Worth Scott game WAS the last game of the regular season and it sent Vanderbilt to Hoover for a quick 2-and-out, but the score of that game was 6-5 and Scott's homer was of the two-run variety.

Thus, I thought you were talking about a game MORE THAN several years ago. FORTY-SIX YEARS ago (Friday, April 6, 1973), Vanderbilt trailed UT 8-5 in the bottom of the ninth when Tommy Powell hit a grand slam to win the game, 9-8.

It wasn't the last game of the season, but it was a game Vanderbilt had to win* to qualify for the SEC championship series against Alabama and the Commodores' first ever NCAA Tournament.

*In those days, SEC games played within the division determined East and West Division champions who played a 2-of-3 series for the SEC title. Vanderbilt finished 9-4 in division play; Tennessee was 8-5. A Vol win in that game would have flipped the standings.

The details of that comeback win for Vanderbilt were memorialized in a VERSUS parody issue called The Vanderbilt Hamster. VERSUS Sports Editor Warren Donaldson posed as his Hustler alter ego, "Skip Town." The poem, which I now refer to as "Powell at the Plate," borrowed heavily from Ernest Lawrence Thayer.

You have my permission to download for your archives and zoom in to read.

Note: I dug this out a few years back after seeing Tom Powell's name on a seat in Hawkins Field.
zdore
Commander

Post by zdore »

Thanks Versus for the correction. Really good memories all around, made more special by the opponent......
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Versus75 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:07 am
zdore wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:30 am Several years ago, Vandy was behind UT 8-5, bottom of the ninth....
The Worth Scott game WAS the last game of the regular season and it sent Vanderbilt to Hoover for a quick 2-and-out, but the score of that game was 6-5 and Scott's homer was of the two-run variety.

Thus, I thought you were talking about a game MORE THAN several years ago. FORTY-SIX YEARS ago (Friday, April 6, 1973), Vanderbilt trailed UT 8-5 in the bottom of the ninth when Tommy Powell hit a grand slam to win the game, 9-8.

It wasn't the last game of the season, but it was a game Vanderbilt had to win* to qualify for the SEC championship series against Alabama and the Commodores' first ever NCAA Tournament.

*In those days, SEC games played within the division determined East and West Division champions who played a 2-of-3 series for the SEC title. Vanderbilt finished 9-4 in division play; Tennessee was 8-5. A Vol win in that game would have flipped the standings.

The details of that comeback win for Vanderbilt were memorialized in a VERSUS parody issue called The Vanderbilt Hamster. VERSUS Sports Editor Warren Donaldson posed as his Hustler alter ego, "Skip Town." The poem, which I now refer to as "Powell at the Plate," borrowed heavily from Ernest Lawrence Thayer.

You have my permission to download for your archives and zoom in to read.

Note: I dug this out a few years back after seeing Tom Powell's name on a seat in Hawkins Field.
Was at that game but, alas, left early. Heard a great roar as I walked across campus and was most surprised and delighted to find out why. I remember the poem.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

That was a different time. No seats down the sidelines, we just sat on the hillside with the fence along Jess Neely Drive behind us. We were close to the first baseman and in those days no one got on your case if you razzed the opposing players. Not that I would have said anything disrespectful....

Does anyone have photos of the Vanderbilt baseball field from the 1970s?
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

Versus is correct.
My wife and I caught the last few innings of the Worth Scott game.
It was a two run blast - but oh man - it felt like a grand slam.

Funny - my memory is that it was pouring rain the moment of the HR - but that video makes it look like a drizzle. Video does that - it's very hard to pick up rain on TV or on video cams unless you shoot into a light or something - but still... I recall seeing the ball go up into the rain and you couldn't see it come down. It just went up and disappeared. We had to wait for that first-base ump to run out and give the HR twirl.

I don't remember the first out, but out two was the first inkling that something special was about to happen. The rain, a sort of odd squall, just unloaded as VU's second batter was at the plate. With a man on, VU hit into what should have been a classic double play. But the sudden rain had made the bag slick. The 2nd baseman slipped on it as he was trying to turn and threw the ball right into the dirt. So with two outs and the rain still falling, Scott blasted that moon shot.

I was standing next to Matt Freijie and Scott Hundley and got to celebrate with them. Then later Scott took a victory lap and slapped five with everyone along the fence. He was freaking out of his mind excited. So were we.
It really did feel like the beginning of something.
Locked Previous topicNext topic