"Vandy whistler says he was told to stop whistling or be ejected"

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

"Vandy whistler says he was told to stop whistling or be ejected"

Post by Good2BGold »

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: "Vandy whistler says he was told to stop whistling or be ejected"

Post by Good2BGold »

This is happening in part because a bunch of Mississippi State haters have called ESPN to complain about the whistlers. I encourage everyone on VandyMania to call ESPN and complain about them taking action against the whistlers. To illustrate how absurd it is, you might also, as I did, complain about the Mississippi State fans yelling at the games because it is disrupting your enjoyment of the broadcast. The number for ESPN customer support is 888-549-3776. Select option 5 to talk with someone about TV programming.
CLTDore
Captain

Post by CLTDore »

"He told Preacher that people weren't enjoying the game because of the whistling, so he needed to stop whistling." I am as big a homer as they come but this sums it up exactly for me. In fact, I don't enjoy the game either because my family is constantly telling me to turn the TV down because of that annoying whistling.
4timenatlchamps
Admiral

Post by 4timenatlchamps »

Hell yeah, this rules.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

CLTDore wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:51 pm "He told Preacher that people weren't enjoying the game because of the whistling, so he needed to stop whistling." I am as big a homer as they come but this sums it up exactly for me. In fact, I don't enjoy the game either because my family is constantly telling me to turn the TV down because of that annoying whistling.
During the game Sunday, I wondered why the VU crowd seemed so subdued in the last half of the game and this explains it. I am not necessarily a fan of the whistlers, but it's the principle of the thing. TD Ameritrade should just make everyone be totally quiet if they are going to say someone can't whistle at a freaking baseball game.
Last edited by Good2BGold on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

This does not upset me, I hate to say.
4timenatlchamps
Admiral

Post by 4timenatlchamps »

Good2BGold wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:02 pm
CLTDore wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:51 pm "He told Preacher that people weren't enjoying the game because of the whistling, so he needed to stop whistling." I am as big a homer as they come but this sums it up exactly for me. In fact, I don't enjoy the game either because my family is constantly telling me to turn the TV down because of that annoying whistling.
During the game Sunday, I wondered why the VU crowd seemed so subdued in the last half of the game and this explains it. I am not necessarily a fan of the whistlers, but it's the principle of the thing. TD Ameritrade is acting like a bunch of Nazis. They should just make everyone be totally quiet if they are going to say someone can't whistle at a freaking baseball game.
Ah yes, Nazis. Famously known for making people be quiet or they would be asked to leave.
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

I'm no fan of the Whistler, but Miss St is the very last fanbase in the world that I would give any credence to on the subject of objectionable noise at sports venues.

COWBELLS!!!!!!!
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

As a person who had no living grandparents and very few aunts and uncles growing up due to actual real nazis, I have to object to the term "nazi" being trivialized by misguided people posting in this thread.

Other than that, I fully support the whistler(s) being banned from the stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6_jcyb96t0
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

EllistonVU wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:26 pm As a person who had no living grandparents and very few aunts and uncles growing up due to actual real nazis, I have to object to the term "nazi" being trivialized by misguided people posting in this thread.

Other than that, I fully support the whistler(s) being banned from the stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6_jcyb96t0
You're right, EllistonVU. I edited my post to remove that reference. Thank you for pointing that out.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Let's just win and move them down the bracket.
Versus75
Admiral

I have to mute the TV ...

Post by Versus75 »

… because of the inane announcers. We missed play-by-play on two batters in the Louisville game because those clowns were debating whether to use a spoon with waffle cones.

Now, if I could listen to the whistlers lead Vanderbilt chants but block out Burkey, McDonald and KP ….
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

I hate those guys but seriously.... On what grounds can you be ejected for whistling?? This is ridiculous.

But hey - I'm happy to be rid of them audibly. But I'm mad as hell that ESPN has this much power.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does ESPN control all sports now? People whistle in Europe instead of booing. Are they going to outlaw booing? Cry baby Mississippi State fans are the last ones that should be complaining about 2 people whistling. I can't believe people are bothered watching the game on TV by the whistler. You can hardly hear it even with the volume turned up. You could probably here a bird outside your house singing much louder.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

They need to teach the rest of our fans to whistle and then everybody do it. They can’t throw everyone out.
This isn’t golf after all.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

You can be ejected from a Titans game for standing up too much, so I am not surprised the whistler can be ejected. If you disrupt those around you for an extended period of time, you can be ejected, plain and simple.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 489671001/

OMAHA, Neb. — The Vandy whistler can be ejected for excessive whistling at the College World Series, a spokesperson for TD Ameritrade Park said Tuesday.

"We are, as a building policy, reactive when we get a slew of negative comments or complaints, both online and in person," said Kristyna Engdahl, director of communication for Omaha's Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority, which operates TD Ameritrade Park.

"Then we are obligated to follow our building policy, which is that we give one warning when we are able to address disruptive behavior. After that, we examine whether we take further action."

The policy is listed on the TD Ameritrade Park website, which prohibits "disruptive noise making of any kind," including bells, whistles and air horns.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

On 104.5 today, it was brought up that Adam Sparks of the Tennessean has written way more articles about the whistlers than on Vandy baseball since travelling to Omaha. Is that what we as fans really want? Do we care more about these two fans than the baseball team???

They are absolutely a distraction that causes other fanbases to hate Vandy as well as limiting the coverage for the fans that do care about Vandy baseball. There is hurting everyone and it needs to stop.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

Whistles are different than someone whistling. There is no basis for him to be ejected. I'd say sue them.
CLTDore
Captain

Post by CLTDore »

VandyFan888 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm Whistles are different than someone whistling. There is no basis for him to be ejected. I'd say sue them.
Seriously? Sue them?
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Titans309fan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:40 pm On 104.5 today, it was brought up that Adam Sparks of the Tennessean has written way more articles about the whistlers than on Vandy baseball since travelling to Omaha. Is that what we as fans really want? Do we care more about these two fans than the baseball team???

They are absolutely a distraction that causes other fanbases to hate Vandy as well as limiting the coverage for the fans that do care about Vandy baseball. There is hurting everyone and it needs to stop.
BINGO!!!!!! I have said this many times... they draw attraction to VU baseball but only in a negative way.

As teams get eliminated, local Omaha folks do not pick up VU as their team for the rest of the tournament because of these guys. It'll be great when we end up in the finals and have 95% of the crowd cheering against us.

But hey, keep cheering for these guys. They're big time fans. They aren't doing it for attention... :roll:
Locked Previous topicNext topic