Who do you start in game 1 against Louisville?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VandyFan888
Ensign

Who do you start in game 1 against Louisville?

Post by VandyFan888 »

Choices are Drake Fellows or Kumar Rocker.
Louisville will most assuredly start Reid Detmers.
Detmers is 12-4, ERA 2.85, WHIP 0.890, 13.6 K/gm, 2.3 BB/gm, 1 HR/gm.

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: Who do you start in game 1 against Louisville?

Post by Good2BGold »

Good question. I wonder if Corbs will move Rocker up to game one. I think probably not and here's why:

1. He doesn't like to deviate from their routines; and

2.Our opponent in the second game will be either Mississippi State or Auburn, and MSU has faced Fellows once already, but not Rocker, whereas Auburn has faced all four of our starters.
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

If you was The game today with NC & Auburn you can see what a bad start does to any team. Carolina pitcher walked the the first four and they never seem to recover. We will be facing one of the top three pitchers in the country.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

And he will be facing the top hitting team in the country!
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

That want matter if our starter is giving up four walks, three hit batters and five wills pitches.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Whoever will be on a short leash!
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

Fellows should start. Rocker threw 130+ pitches on Saturday. Let him rest. Fellows had a shorter outing.

On a side note, Fellows was only ineffective against Duke because the umpire's zone was extremely tight...but it was tight for both teams so it's hard to be upset with him. It took away the 2-seam fastball and Drake had to throw 4-seam down the middle...not good. And it allowed Duke to simply not swing at any breaking pitches. Duke was patient and the small strike zone benefited them. Our lineup is many things..."patient" is not necessarily one of them. We want to do damage and our aggressive offensive approach hurt is in Game 1.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Fellows needs to start to maintain his confidence. He came back from several poor starts at the end of the year to shutout Ms State, so I think it’s important to restore any lost confidence.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Whomever Coach Corbin says.
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

Game 1: Gotta be (the) Drake. I don’t think a bad outing (regardless how bad) negates a whole season of admirable pitching performances. In fact, thinking about what a competitor he is, I expect him to have a nice bounce back performance.

Game 2: Kumar, obviously. My only concern is coming off 130+ pitches and being a freshman facing a longer season of baseball than he’s used to, does fatigue set in at all?

After that I think Hickman is the obvious choice here, followed by Raby who performed well enough in his short relief appearance on Sunday.

Should we need a game 5 starter, who do you go to? King?
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

lidore12 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:41 pm Game 1: Gotta be (the) Drake. I don’t think a bad outing (regardless how bad) negates a whole season of admirable pitching performances. In fact, thinking about what a competitor he is, I expect him to have a nice bounce back performance.

Game 2: Kumar, obviously. My only concern is coming off 130+ pitches and being a freshman facing a longer season of baseball than he’s used to, does fatigue set in at all?

After that I think Hickman is the obvious choice here, followed by Raby who performed well enough in his short relief appearance on Sunday.

If we win, we may not need more than three because of the days off.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

lidore12 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:41 pm Game 1: Gotta be (the) Drake. I don’t think a bad outing (regardless how bad) negates a whole season of admirable pitching performances. In fact, thinking about what a competitor he is, I expect him to have a nice bounce back performance.

By the time game 5 rolls around we will be back to at least the weekend and can go back to Fellows.
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

Good2BGold wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:27 pm If we win, we may not need more than three because of the days off.
Ahh I was saying, should we need more than the minimum in the regional-style opening round of the CWS.

I’m not communicating well today!
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Good2BGold wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Yeah, in the 2015 CWS Fullmer, Pfeifer, and Buehler were basically our only starters. They each started 3 games.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Good2BGold wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:27 pm

True about Kumar. Remember, too, that Fellows had just come off a 130+ performance too. Could have had something to do with his last start.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

geeznotagain wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:59 pm Yeah, in the 2015 CWS Fullmer, Pfeifer, and Buehler were basically our only starters. They each started 3 games.
3 starts each for 3 pitchers could never happen because the most games played would be 8. If a team plays that many games, however, it would likely get 3 starts out of just the opening day pitcher: Saturday/Friday/Wednesday or Sunday/Friday/Wednesday.

Vanderbilt played 6 games in the 2015 CWS with Fulmer/Pfeifer/Buehler (as you listed) starting twice each.

That was a tremendous pitching staff with future starting pitcher stars John Kilichowski (10 starts in 2015), Jordan Sheffield (6) and Kyle Wright (3) working out of the bullpen.

In another thread I posted a projected rotation based on whether the 'Dores go 2-0 or 1-1 in the first two games. In an 8-game CWS I suggested Fellows/Rocker/Hickman/Raby would start twice each.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12154#p102196

But thinking about it some more, I can see Fellows getting three starts. Rocker wouldn't start Tuesday then Saturday, so Raby would get a start in the middle of the series:

(If the 'Dores lose one of the first two games)

SUNDAY ...... Fellows (Raby available in relief)
TUESDAY ..... Rocker
THURSDAY .... Hickman
FRIDAY ...... Fellows (5th day)
SATURDAY .... Raby
MONDAY ...... Rocker
TUESDAY ..... Hickman (5th day)
WEDNESDAY* .. Fellows (5th day)

*If necessary

Pitch count in the previous games could dictate whether our starter would pitch just 5 days later.
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

Versus75 - that looks like solid analysis. I wonder if Corbin considers things like lefty/righty dominance of a batting lineup, tendency to go after certain types of pitches, whether the team has seen a certain pitcher before (ie. don’t throw Hickman against Lville and no Drake (I think) vs. miss st). Or do you go the other way on that one and ride Drake to dominate their lineup again?

Lots to consider, wish we didn’t have to wait until Sunday to see things play out.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Versus75 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:24 am
geeznotagain wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:59 pm Yeah, in the 2015 CWS Fullmer, Pfeifer, and Buehler were basically our only starters. They each started 3 games.
3 starts each for 3 pitchers could never happen because the most games played would be 8. If a team plays that many games, however, it would likely get 3 starts out of just the opening day pitcher: Saturday/Friday/Wednesday or Sunday/Friday/Wednesday.

Vanderbilt played 6 games in the 2015 CWS with Fulmer/Pfeifer/Buehler (as you listed) starting twice each.

That was a tremendous pitching staff with future starting pitcher stars John Kilichowski (10 starts in 2015), Jordan Sheffield (6) and Kyle Wright (3) working out of the bullpen.

In another thread I posted a projected rotation based on whether the 'Dores go 2-0 or 1-1 in the first two games. In an 8-game CWS I suggested Fellows/Rocker/Hickman/Raby would start twice each.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12154#p102196

But thinking about it some more, I can see Fellows getting three starts. Rocker wouldn't start Tuesday then Saturday, so Raby would get a start in the middle of the series:

(If the 'Dores lose one of the first two games)

SUNDAY ...... Fellows (Raby available in relief)
TUESDAY ..... Rocker
THURSDAY .... Hickman
FRIDAY ...... Fellows (5th day)
SATURDAY .... Raby
MONDAY ...... Rocker
TUESDAY ..... Hickman (5th day)
WEDNESDAY* .. Fellows (5th day)

*If necessary

Pitch count in the previous games could dictate whether our starter would pitch just 5 days later.
My bad. I meant to type 2 games each, not 3. In 2015 we played: Cal State Fullerton on June 15th, TCU on the 16th and the 19th, and Virginia on June 22-24. Rain, of course, is always a potential factor, and could work for our benefit.
Locked Previous topicNext topic