Draft

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Draft

Post by commadore »

I did not realize that both Clark and DeMarco are eligible for the draft this year. They are both listed as eligible on Draft Tracker. If this is true, we will be decimated next year.

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Draft

Post by Commodoredave »

Yes, they are both eligible sophomores, meaning they turn 21 before the draft. This team is far and away the deepest we have had. Yes, we'll lose some guys, and the return of Clark and Demarco would help, but you look down the bench and see guys like Isiah Thomas, Jayson Gonzales, Cooper Davis and Tate Kolwyck..we'll be fine. Without those two it's still a top 10 roster.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:22 am I did not realize that both Clark and DeMarco are eligible for the draft this year. They are both listed as eligible on Draft Tracker. If this is true, we will be decimated next year.
I would guess both Clarke and DeMarco return if they are not high draft picks.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Good2BGold wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:47 pm
commadore wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:22 am I did not realize that both Clark and DeMarco are eligible for the draft this year. They are both listed as eligible on Draft Tracker. If this is true, we will be decimated next year.
I would guess both Clarke and DeMarco return if they are not high draft picks.
Right now, Clark is shown as our second highest player, one ahead of Fellows. See below.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker
Bear8000
Lieutenant

Post by Bear8000 »

I've heard from a few different people that Demarco will likely return. I hope so
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

The draft should be after the College World Series.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

DeefromAtlanta wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:54 pm The draft should be after the College World Series.
Absolutely unless the MLB says colleges don't count! SV#
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

DeefromAtlanta wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:54 pm The draft should be after the College World Series.
And I think it should be before because the majority of the players to be drafted in the high rounds are not in the CWS. Why should they wait to find out what their future holds while 8-16 teams complete their season. Do it the week after the reg season ends.

added: And probably the reason it is not held earlier as many high schools don't end their school year until the 1st or 2nd week in June.
Versus75
Admiral

Only 180 players are listed in order ...

Post by Versus75 »

... and then the rest have no projected draft round.

I understand that. It's difficult to comprehend how major league teams can scout 1300+ players; why should someone from MLB do their work? I guess if your team is spending hundreds of millions each year on 25 players it can invest a few million dollars scouting potential major leaguers.

But back to the list. I filtered the list and at first it appeared as though some of our top players are not projected to be drafted: DeMarco, Paul, Scott, Infante, Raby. But then I realized that only players projected to go in the top 5 or 6 rounds are ranked.

All of those players should be drafted and I expect Duvall will get the call, especially as he is a catcher. Don't know about Harrison Ray, but his speed and ability to play well at multiple positions will help. Whether those two choose to stick around probably depends on where they are drafted and what kind of offers they hear.

And then there are always some pitchers who never did much for us but have that major league potential: King, Gillis, Franklin, for example. They will likely sign if drafted because there is nothing to assure that any of them will play a key role for the 2020 Commodores.

One thing I can say is that we've got plenty of guys who rode the pines this season who are ready to step up for next season.
vandyfan1966
Seaman Recruit

Post by vandyfan1966 »

Yes, they are both eligible sophomores, meaning they turn 21 before the draft.

actually meaning their birthday falls within a 45 day time frame of the June 3rd draft. You do not have to turn 21 prior to the draft.

For Sure
JJ Bleday of course he goes
Ethan Paul
Drake Fellows
Philip Clark
Patrick Raby
Julian Infante
Stephen Scott
Harrison Ray

Maybe's
Zack King
Jackson Gillis