kids behind the plate vs. the whistler

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

kids behind the plate vs. the whistler

Post by roanoke »

I don't really want to get into the pros and cons of the whistlers here. For the record, the whistles drive me nuts and I sometimes have to shut off the sound of the tv. I'd hate to drive to a game and be sitting in their section. Other fan bases hate it - and it is an annoying reflection on our team to the outside world (i.e. we are not Omaha's team because of the whistles.) However, I recognize their extreme fandom and their dedication to Vandy sports - which I do appreciate. So - mixed bag, I wish they'd stop and I wish they'd stop getting so much attention.

So why am I writing about them? I usually don't. But I want to draw a comparison.

For those watching the Ole Miss game yesterday - a group of four youngsters sat directly behind the plate and totally razzed our pitchers with howls, twirling shirts and shrieks as they released the ball. It was super annoying to me. I know college players are mature enough not to pay attention to such stuff - but it really seemed like they were directly in the pitcher's line of sight. Kind of like flashing white placards in the outfield behind the pitcher to make it harder for the batter to see the ball. That sort of thing is actually banned. My point is: I suspect the whistlers are those kids to most of our opponents. The main difference is - eventually the kids stopped. Maybe partly because we made an amazing comeback and broke their spirit - or maybe because a couple of adults came down and sat with them to tone them down. If you wanted to pour a drink on those kids, you probably know how opposing fans feel about the whistler.

As a second comparison, free throw shooting at a basketball game - it is routine and standard fare for student sections to do all sorts of nuts, distracting stuff behind the basket when an opposing player is shooting a free throw. Our students aren't sitting behind the baskets and our "more refined" fans tend not to do all that kind of craziness during opponent free throws. As a result, I suspect opposing shooters hit more road free throws against us than most. I would not mind the whistler standing behind the basket whistling on free throws - that is an "accepted" time for distraction... So, again, a mixed bag. It is the incessant nature of the whistles that eventually wears me out and hurts my head. But, I suppose there is a time and place for everything,

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Re: kids behind the plate vs. the whistler

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Agreed. It is an annoying reflection on our team to the outside world. It's too bad the whistlers are one of the first things people associate with the baseball program. It takes away from this program's accomplishments.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

DeefromAtlanta wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:26 am Agreed. It is an annoying reflection on our team to the outside world. It's too bad the whistlers are one of the first things people associate with the baseball program. It takes away from this program's accomplishments.
Only for those who are pretty shallow in their thinking.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Dickeys Nightmare wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:34 am
DeefromAtlanta wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:26 am Agreed. It is an annoying reflection on our team to the outside world. It's too bad the whistlers are one of the first things people associate with the baseball program. It takes away from this program's accomplishments.

I said this in the other thread… Whenever these guys make the news, the only attention they draw to the program is negative. That should really be enough to decide whether they are worth it or not.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

vu2003rpl wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:49 am

I said this in the other thread… Whenever these guys make the news, the only attention they draw to the program is negative. That should really be enough to decide whether they are worth it or not.
Well, Corbin and the players think they are a positive so I’m going with them. Don’t let news drive your thinking. Think for yourself.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

vu2003rpl wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:49 am

Attachments
FF1699E1-A947-413B-A20E-96955D0DC97D.png
FF1699E1-A947-413B-A20E-96955D0DC97D.png (5.06 MiB) Viewed 8048 times
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

can we please leave this subject alone and enjoy the performance of possibly the best team VU has ever had.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

gotta say I find the whistling as annoying as hell. Nevertheless in Corbs I trust, so if he and the #vandyboys are good with it I am too (sort of anyway)
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

charlestonalum wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:13 am can we please leave this subject alone and enjoy the performance of possibly the best team VU has ever had.
I agree, even though I just started a thread on the topic. Should be a non-issue.

What a team! Such a joy to watch!
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

A non-issue for me. Go Vandy!
Cardsanddores
Rear Admiral

Post by Cardsanddores »

There are games where it seems more widely spaced and comes off more as a normal fan chant that is way less annoying. Also there are times he alternates it with VU fans clapping the same cadence and it comes off as good ole classic baseball cheering. Yesterday wasn’t that bad to me. I do get annoyed when it’s incessant like against LSU, but I think that’s a case where their fans are obnoxious and couldn’t help but poke the bear. I’m pretty sure they riled him up.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Agreed. Was I the only one bothered by the front row kids?
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

roanoke wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:01 am Agreed. Was I the only one bothered by the front row kids?
I was listening on the radio for the first 3-4 innings. I don't remember noticing it when I turned on the television. I am going to look for it on replay.
Last edited by DeefromAtlanta on Mon May 27, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

roanoke wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:01 am Agreed. Was I the only one bothered by the front row kids?
I noticed them a couple of times, noted that if it was my kids they'd get a beating (or taken home), and then forgot they were there.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Yeah. It's a conspiracy. FOX personalities must be all for the whistlers. Or is it that deep thinker Alex Jones?
Last edited by DeefromAtlanta on Mon May 27, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
goodtimes05
Ensign

Post by goodtimes05 »

I like the whistlers. Discuss amongst yourselves and try not to get verklempt. Go Dores! #one
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

I'm all for kids having a good time at the ballpark, but if a pitcher sort of accidentally pulled a Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn or a Ebby Calvin Nuke LaLoosh and fired a 98mph heater in that general direction, they probably would have retreated to the top row in the shade much sooner than they eventually did.

Last edited by EllistonVU on Mon May 27, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

I commented on FB during the game how annoying the kids were. I'm surprised the umpire didn't say anything to them. Did the distract Raby? Probably judging by the results and how short his time on the mound was.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I’ve got a hunch that the kids were not in their assigned seats. Some one should have asked to check their tickets.
TheGoldenTouch
Rear Admiral

Post by TheGoldenTouch »

Exactly. We are not liked because we are good in baseball. How much more annoying do our opponents chants and songs become when they are good?

I say.....embrace the whistler and learn how to do it. Make it our annoying tradition.
Locked Previous topicNext topic