And once again, no Rocker

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

And once again, no Rocker

Post by commadore »

Is he saving him for next year or what?

dcdore
Admiral

Re: And once again, no Rocker

Post by dcdore »

VU's stealth weapon
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

All for giving guys like Kaiser a shot vs ETSU. Kaiser is right there with Rocker as the hardest throwers on the team. If he can get some good innings and become another reliable bullpen piece, it just makes the bullpen/team better.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Meanwhile, Rocker has pitched three and a third innings in the last three weeks.
And Kaiser gets pounded for four in the third and start of the 4th, so they STILL DON'T bring in Rocker. They bring in Gillis. Corbin told Sparks Sunday that he was saving Rocker for a weekday start. I am getting po'd about his lack of playing time. I am sure he's thinking "I gave up millions to ride the pine? Screw this."
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

So now he says Rocker will pitch this weekend, per the announcer.
And what is up with the one camera, no scores deal today.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:31 pm So now he says Rocker will pitch this weekend, per the announcer.
There was only one camera on SEC Network Plus last week for the Austin Peay game. Max Herz was doing the play-by-play, instead of Kevin Ingram, who also usually has Andrew Harris providing color commentary. Max said last week it was because the other equipment and personnel were needed for the home basketball game. Of course there's a home basketball game tonight, so I'm guessing it's the same situation.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Good2BGold wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:38 pm
commadore wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:31 pm So now he says Rocker will pitch this weekend, per the announcer.
There was only one camera on SEC Network Plus last week for the Austin Peay game. Max Herz was doing the play-by-play, instead of Kevin Ingram, who also usually has Andrew Harris providing color commentary. Max said last week it was because the other equipment and personnel were needed for the home basketball game. Of course there's a home basketball game tonight, so I'm guessing it's the same situation.
Thanks. I was actually at the APSU and Florida games last week, so I didn't see that.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

commadore wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:17 pm Meanwhile, Rocker has pitched three and a third innings in the last three weeks.
And Kaiser gets pounded for four in the third and start of the 4th, so they STILL DON'T bring in Rocker. They bring in Gillis. Corbin told Sparks Sunday that he was saving Rocker for a weekday start. I am getting po'd about his lack of playing time. I am sure he's thinking "I gave up millions to ride the pine? Screw this."
You're being kind of ridiculous. This was a game we won by 8 runs. Gillis is proven in the past, and as of today, Rocker is not. In fact, he has an ERA over 9. Now he may just be the next David Price, but let Corbin put him in the right spot and develop. To build depth, we need Gillis and perhaps Kaiser to contribute. Every time else anyone pitches you are hopping around like a spider monkey calling for Rocker.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Commodoredave wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:27 am
commadore wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:17 pm Meanwhile, Rocker has pitched three and a third innings in the last three weeks.
You're being kind of ridiculous. This was a game we won by 8 runs. Gillis is proven in the past, and as of today, Rocker is not. In fact, he has an ERA over 9. Now he may just be the next David Price, but let Corbin put him in the right spot and develop. To build depth, we need Gillis and perhaps Kaiser to contribute. Every time else anyone pitches you are hopping around like a spider monkey calling for Rocker.
So he has not given up a run since his first start. Three scoreless v Pepperdine and a strikeout in one batter faced v APSU. Meanwhile, the guys who lost the game by walking 12 against APSU have all seen action. If Rocker is as advertised, and there is no reason to think otherwise, then we are wasting him on the bench.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Has anyone noticed we are 11-2?
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:34 am
Commodoredave wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:27 am
So he has not given up a run since his first start. Three scoreless v Pepperdine and a strikeout in one batter faced v APSU. Meanwhile, the guys who lost the game by walking 12 against APSU have all seen action. If Rocker is as advertised, and there is no reason to think otherwise, then we are wasting him on the bench.
But as you noted, Max said Kumar will pitch this weekend, which almost certainly means Sunday. Corbs is not in the habit of using his weekend starters in midweek games, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm extremely anxious as you are to see him pitch and pitch a lot, but for all we know he had some soreness and Corbs decided to give him some extra rest. Or Corbs may simply want to see what some of these other pitchers can do before we hit conference play.
Last edited by Good2BGold on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

I'm excited to seem Rocker again, but it believe it was much more important to see Austin Becker get 3 innings and flash his stuff. Kaiser looked great for 2 before a bad inning, and Gillis is going to be part of the bullpen mix. That's what midweek games are good for when you have a club like ours. Corbin will find the right spot for Rocker to show what he can do, and so far it has been weekend work when the outs really matter in June.
vandyfan1966
Seaman Recruit

Post by vandyfan1966 »

What exactly are you wanting Rocker to do? Because some website said he was a good high school player, because he was a draft able player? Perspective, Reality..... the average major league team pays several players more in a year than they pay for an entire draft class.
The machine driving high school travel ball is biased and is only trying to make money. Rocker has loads of talent... but he like , Huff, Smith, Becker are freshman.... be it highly talented freshman, but none the less they lack exp. Also the freshman are not used to playing this long of a season.... high school seasons are 10 weeks, the summer circuit is just an inning or two at a time and who cares who wins... These freshman often get sore and have to take small breaks.... so in that case you may need a Gillis or a Kaiser..... In order to go to Omaha... it will take every player, coach, admin, trainer, manager.... and so on
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VUaskew wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 am Has anyone noticed we are 11-2?
exactly, talk about frustration, it is reading some of the posts of some of our Vandymaia colleagues who can't find anything to celebrate concerning our numero uno baseball team - get on the bandwagon! The baseball page is a place we ought to be able to escape all the displeasure found on the other pages. :shock:
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

Has anyone noticed we're No. 1 in the nation?
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Further, we stayed at #1 in the country after losing a home game to Austin Peay. That's baseball, and college baseball for the elite programs points towards taking the best team you can to Nebraska in June.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Commodoredave wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:41 pm
Further, we stayed at #1 in the country after losing a home game to Austin Peay.
Speaking of the loss to APSU, I was watching the game on ESPN+ and heard our announcers say something that surprised me. When the APSU manager was ejected in the top of the 9th arguing a called 3rd strike (he had a legitimate beef by the way), it was noted that he couldn't be banished to the visitors' locker room, because there was none. I assume they knew what they were talking about. Is this unusual? Do any other SEC schools not have a visitors' locker room? Just curious.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Hey, let's let Corbin coach and we can sit back and watch the VandyBoyz play!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Good2BGold wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:38 pm
Max Herz said on radio yesterday that was the reason for the single camera.
Locked Previous topicNext topic