It's Gdowski

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger

Re: It's Gdowski

Post by AuricGoldfinger » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:36 am

I'm guessing CDM was turned down by other candidates or couldn't make it work out, because Gdowski could have been named OC a month ago.
0 x

JCVandyman

Post by JCVandyman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:51 am

Timing of this certainly makes you think it was Hamilton's decision to go to WWE, er, XFL that was the final piece.
0 x

VU1970

Post by VU1970 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:19 am

Guessing is guessing, I guess.
0 x

Commodoredave

Post by Commodoredave » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:28 am

I wonder if Mason really even pursued anyone. No recruiting, no apparent coaching interviews, no promoting the program. Looks to me like he has been on vacation since bowl week. Quite simply, it's a lazy, uninspiring hire.
0 x

DeefromAtlanta

Post by DeefromAtlanta » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 am

Commodoredave wrote:I wonder if Mason really even pursued anyone. No recruiting, no apparent coaching interviews, no promoting the program. Looks to me like he has been on vacation since bowl week. Quite simply, it's a lazy, uninspiring hire.
Looks like to me this is a lazy, ill-informed and very biased post.
0 x

Anchor D

Post by Anchor D » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:43 am

Lol.I had hoped for something more exciting as far as OC but continuity can be a good thing too.Now who does he hire to replace Menenga and Rayna Stewart?
0 x

Good2BGold

Post by Good2BGold » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Commodoredave wrote:I wonder if Mason really even pursued anyone. No recruiting, no apparent coaching interviews, no promoting the program. Looks to me like he has been on vacation since bowl week. Quite simply, it's a lazy, uninspiring hire.
You keep pushing the idea that there's been no recruiting of late. Would you mind providing some factual documentation of that? Because there was this:

Prospects react to weekend on campus

And do you think the various transfers who announced their commitments in January did that with no recruitment? I'm betting they were recruited. Would you like a piece of that bet?

And do you honestly believe there wasn't a single interview with potential OCs? Just because no one put you in the loop doesn't mean there weren't any interviews.

I realize you're all butt hurt about CDM and can't wait to see him gone, but does that really justify making sh*t up?
0 x

Commodoredave

Post by Commodoredave » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:05 pm

DeefromAtlanta wrote:
Looks like to me this is a lazy, ill-informed and very biased post.
I admit to being biased towards guys who were calling games.
We could have made this hire 6 weeks ago. An internal promotion at this point tells a story.
0 x

EllistonVU

Post by EllistonVU » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:19 pm

If there is any truth to a couple of guys declining an offer, then you would think there was an actual formal process to get to that point. Maybe they balked at the concept of "co-coordinators" - ?? It's not out of the realm of possibility that it could have been a sticking point. (If it was discussed)
0 x

BILTMORE

Post by BILTMORE » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:27 pm

yes we could've made this hire 6 weeks ago. The fact that we are now shows that we're settling for our 3rd or 4th option after getting turned down by others.
But I see this delayed hire only as proof that Mason tried and failed to hire other outsiders.
I do not think it's reasonable to suggest that he just sat on his ass for a month and just finally got around to promoting a guy he's known for 15 plus years.
0 x

AuricGoldfinger

Post by AuricGoldfinger » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Anchor D wrote:Lol.I had hoped for something more exciting as far as OC but continuity can be a good thing too.Now who does he hire to replace Menenga and Rayna Stewart?
Rumor has it we may be losing C.J. Ah You, too. May be just coincidence, but his Twitter account is deactivated. I wouldn't be surprised if he went with his ex-college coach Bob Stoops to the XFL.
0 x

Ndorefin

Post by Ndorefin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm

I agree the timing is a bit puzzling, but I really like Gdowski. The continuity is a big plus and he also knows the culture at Vanderbilt regarding football. He is familiar with our opponents and his experience over the last 5 years is also a plus. We were not going to get someone better from outside Vanderbilt after hiring a new AD, losing Shurmur and with CDM’s record. As has been mentioned many times, hiring top flight, experienced assistants is nearly impossible when you consider our schedule and opportunity for success....we will always be a stepping stone for coaches. I’ve been around too long and understand the reality of our dynamics when it comes to VU football. I believe we have seen the best it can be.
0 x

VU1970

Post by VU1970 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:35 pm

if there was a “story,” someone besides the usual two or three naysayers on this board would be telling it.
Commodoredave wrote: We could have made this hire 6 weeks ago. An internal promotion at this point tells a story.
0 x

Doreknox

Post by Doreknox » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:44 pm

From the timing of things, I believe CDM was waiting for Hamilton or someone to make a decision. Having Gdowski as a Plan B (or Plan whatever) candidate is not a bad thing at all. I hope this works out great for everyone since so many of our weapons returned for another year.
0 x

Nashmann

Post by Nashmann » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:00 pm

I called this weeks ago. A lazy hire or a last resort hire. No way this was plan B....more like plan D or E,F, G. Maybe others see the writing on the wall and CDM's hot seat. Not a bad hire but could have been so much better. Something to really put a spark in the program and fan base. Disappointed for now but hopefully, it will work out.
0 x
Puppy Dogs, Kittens, and Cotton Candy @AD :D

historybill

Post by historybill » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:21 pm

I'm not sure if Gdowski could have possibly done a better job as quarterbacks coach the last two years.

Also... I hate to break this to anyone... but if you think Vanderbilt is in a position to recruit successful and experienced college football offensive coordinators, then get a dose of reality.
0 x

CrimeDore

Post by CrimeDore » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 pm

It would be nice if on the day that David Williams died you guys could take a break from carping at each other over foolishness.
0 x

Albert_Camus

Post by Albert_Camus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Our rising offensive seniors who could have gone pro must have had an inkling. Their decision to stay is a bigger endorsement than any detraction from an armchair critic.

Gdowski understands the strengths of our personnel intimately and will be best placed to put them in a position to succeed.

He also is an experienced coach who got high marks from an NFL head coach on the development of his son. Something tells me that we will be just fine.
0 x
Albert

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
Upton Sinclair

alathIN

Post by alathIN » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:52 pm

Ok, please explain this conspiracy. Is it:

Lazy bumbling CDM has been slothfully recruiting sixteen or eighteen other candidates, dawdling his way around the nation to trying inertly to hire anyone but Gdowski, the Plan Z *10^9th option?

Or Gdowski was his #1 choice all along, and he was just too lazy to pick up the phone and tell anyone?

If CDM really tried to hire every single other living organism in the known universe before finally settling on Gdowski, then it seems like he's kind of running his butt off and we have at least a highly motivated head coach who's trying to.get the best assistants he can possibly get. And we might also have to admit that maybe this isn't the most attractive job ever.

If, on the other hand, CDM was going to hire Gdowski all along because he's too lazy to change out of his pajamas, you can't really make the case that Gdowski was the last choice after trying everyone else and their brother in law and the mold on their brother in law's shower door.

And besides where are people getting this lazy crap from anyway? CDM is easily the most physically fit head football coach in the SEC. Dude jumps out of the dang stadium every time we thrash Tennessee. I mean, there are other insults you might possibly make the case for. But lazy is just self-evidently untrue.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic