Ethan Paul

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Ethan Paul

Post by Good2BGold »

Does anyone have any inside information about whether Corbs is seriously considering moving Ethan Paul to shortstop? I have seen this mentioned several times in national media outlets, but based what we've seen the past three seasons, I don't see how this can be true. Paul's arm has been suspect. Even at second, it's a crap shoot as to whether he will throw a strike to first. I can only imagine throws regularly being airmailed to first if he is the shortstop. Anyone have any insight on this?

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Ethan Paul

Post by Commodoredave »

I have seen multiple preseason capsules that have Paul slotted for the SS position. He was a SS coming in 3 years ago, but Kaiser nailed down that spot with stellar defense. As a freshman, Paul certainly had a lot of defensive struggles. More than arm strength, it seemed as if he was terribly inaccurate. It was almost like a case of the "yips" which he improved on greatly last year, though the throws from 2B and SS are obviously two different animals.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Commodoredave wrote:I have seen multiple preseason capsules that have Paul slotted for the SS position. He was a SS coming in 3 years ago, but Kaiser nailed down that spot with stellar defense. As a freshman, Paul certainly had a lot of defensive struggles. More than arm strength, it seemed as if he was terribly inaccurate. It was almost like a case of the "yips" which he improved on greatly last year, though the throws from 2B and SS are obviously two different animals.
You're right that he's improved since he was a frosh, but even though he's not making as many actual errors, he still makes inaccurate throws, high, wide, and in the dirt, that he's bailed out on by Infante, who is excellent with the glove. Nothing against Ethan, but I hope we have a better option at short than him so he can stay at second.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Good2BGold wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:I have seen multiple preseason capsules that have Paul slotted for the SS position. He was a SS coming in 3 years ago, but Kaiser nailed down that spot with stellar defense. As a freshman, Paul certainly had a lot of defensive struggles. More than arm strength, it seemed as if he was terribly inaccurate. It was almost like a case of the "yips" which he improved on greatly last year, though the throws from 2B and SS are obviously two different animals.
You're right that he's improved since he was a frosh, but even though he's not making as many actual errors, he still makes inaccurate throws, high, wide, and in the dirt, that he's bailed out on by Infante, who is excellent with the glove. Nothing against Ethan, but I hope we have a better option at short than him so he can stay at second.
Where does Austin Martin play? Seems as if he can be SS, 2B, or OF. I'm thinking the OF is Bleday, Demarco, Scott. With 3 catchers who need to get AB's, he is a better fit for LF with the C/DH reps for Clarke and Duvall.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Commodoredave wrote:
Good2BGold wrote:
Where does Austin Martin play? Seems as if he can be SS, 2B, or OF. I'm thinking the OF is Bleday, Demarco, Scott. With 3 catchers who need to get AB's, he is a better fit for LF with the C/DH reps for Clarke and Duvall.
Besides Paul, I've seen Martin and Harrison Ray mentioned as possibilities at shortstop. I've also seen Jason Gonzalez mentioned, but he seems like a better fit at third. What I haven't seen is any a mention of one of the freshmen breaking into the lineup at short.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Good2BGold wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:
Good2BGold wrote: You're right that he's improved since he was a frosh, but even though he's not making as many actual errors, he still makes inaccurate throws, high, wide, and in the dirt, that he's bailed out on by Infante, who is excellent with the glove. Nothing against Ethan, but I hope we have a better option at short than him so he can stay at second.
Besides Paul, I've seen Martin and Harrison Ray mentioned as possibilities at shortstop. I've also seen Jason Gonzalez mentioned, but he seems like a better fit at third. What I haven't seen is any a mention of one of the freshmen breaking into the lineup at short.
Tate Kolwyck is a natural athletic SS who will take that position eventually. It may be next year, but the kid has serious game that hasn't been focused because he was a star QB in HS. You know Corbs loves those multi-sport kids who finally lock in at the college level.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Good2BGold wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:
Good2BGold wrote: You're right that he's improved since he was a frosh, but even though he's not making as many actual errors, he still makes inaccurate throws, high, wide, and in the dirt, that he's bailed out on by Infante, who is excellent with the glove. Nothing against Ethan, but I hope we have a better option at short than him so he can stay at second.

Gonzalez lacks the necessary quickness to play SS, IMO.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

geeznotagain wrote:
Good2BGold wrote:
Commodoredave wrote:

That's how it looks to me. But if he doesn't lack the quickness, he would seem to lack the range.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Good2BGold wrote:
geeznotagain wrote:
Good2BGold wrote: Besides Paul, I've seen Martin and Harrison Ray mentioned as possibilities at shortstop. I've also seen Jason Gonzalez mentioned, but he seems like a better fit at third. What I haven't seen is any a mention of one of the freshmen breaking into the lineup at short.

That's how it looks to me. But if he doesn't lack the quickness, he would seem to lack the range.
Yeah, range is probably a better descriptor than quickness (although I guess quickness is a component of range). I envision a little fireplug stationed halfway between 2nd and 3rd (OK, a little bit of an exaggeration).
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

This is a loaded roster, but there are certain to be times that I long for Connor Kaiser out there at short.
Locked Previous topicNext topic