Vanderbilt-Alabama thread

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Vanderbilt-Alabama thread

Post by MrMemorial »

A deep run in the NIT in year three is certainly better than YOUR guy did in year three...20 straight losses.

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:03 pm A deep run in the NIT in year three is certainly better than YOUR guy did in year three...20 straight losses.
Who was my guy? I don't remember being a Drew fan. Like Mason I said his hiring makes sense but I didn't even care Drew he got canned as early as he did, he deserved it. Mason was probably a few years overdue. Stack is on the same train unless he changes his ways he's gonna be the NBA player that got canned from VU for a record of 48-63 4 years in. Last year's record was the only over .500 and this year is looking like another under. that's 3 out of 4.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

As I have said repeatedly. I like Stack and there's a lot of great things about him. 1 thing getting in the way is his hubris. He has that by the boat load. When learning as he has admitted the college game. You might want to tone down the I run my team as I want to until told otherwise. I'd have canned him that day. A coach is not above the program, is not immune to job security and should be grateful that they have a rare opportunity to be a head coach whether in college or the pros, not many of those jobs.

Not to mention the social media mistakes, the excessive cursing on live TV and the mismanagement of the roster over 4 years. And the results are shall we say lackluster so far. With no evidence that they will improve.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

Vandy187187 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 pm As I have said repeatedly. I like Stack and there's a lot of great things about him. 1 thing getting in the way is his hubris. He has that by the boat load. When learning as he has admitted the college game. You might want to tone down the I run my team as I want to until told otherwise. I'd have canned him that day. A coach is not above the program, is not immune to job security and should be grateful that they have a rare opportunity to be a head coach whether in college or the pros, not many of those jobs.

Not to mention the social media mistakes, the excessive cursing on live TV and the mismanagement of the roster over 4 years. And the results are shall we say lackluster so far. With no evidence that they will improve.
This "he once said he is learning the game" refrain over one past flippant remark made in passing is getting old.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

memphisVUalum wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:57 pm
Vandy187187 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 pm As I have said repeatedly. I like Stack and there's a lot of great things about him. 1 thing getting in the way is his hubris. He has that by the boat load. When learning as he has admitted the college game. You might want to tone down the I run my team as I want to until told otherwise. I'd have canned him that day. A coach is not above the program, is not immune to job security and should be grateful that they have a rare opportunity to be a head coach whether in college or the pros, not many of those jobs.

This "he once said he is learning the game" refrain over one past flippant remark made in passing is getting old.
OK. Made in passing. What makes you think he is improving? 4 years here and we are where we were. Still missing post seasons by a mile and our best players our older players are all gone next year
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:00 am
memphisVUalum wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:57 pm

OK. Made in passing. What makes you think he is improving? 4 years here and we are where we were. Still missing post seasons by a mile and our best players our older players are all gone next year
I don't think I mentioned myself analyzing his progress, am not really focused on that.

I see that I didn't read your original note past the "when learning as he admitted the college game." I see you mentioned there was excessive cursing on live tv.

That is something he could improve on and should work on. I think I remember though that Stallings cursed some too but I don't know if he did it on live tv, and you're right that CJS yelled cursing in the two games with the technicals. I will have time to watch this game over shortly. I had a lot going on during the game and saw it with the sound off.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

You are right Stallings threatened to kill wade Baldwin. That was his last year as our coach I'm pretty certain.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Vandy187187 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:29 pm
Jason94 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:28 pm
Vandy187187 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:16 pm Any game where Lawrence takes 15 shots you will lose. Not a knock against him but he can't take 25% of the shots for the entire team
Who else is going to shoot? When he is on the court with the likes of QMB, Thomas and Smith, he has to shoot because nobody else in the starting lineup can create their shot and we have no PG in the starting lineup that can create shots for their teammates. Lawrence is doing Yeoman's work tonight as he is so often placed on the court as the only real scoring option. He's not shooting well tonight but is playing his butt off.
I didn't say he wasn't playing his butt off. But if your lineup/offense depends on him taking 15 shots you already lost.
I agree that the lineup causes this, but Lawrence played pretty well all things considered.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:41 pm There you go, firing the coach again. Or is that just your "wishful thinking?"
Since you've yet to post any concerns with this season and have just scolded people for expressing their frustration, are you completely satisfied with the job that has been done this season? Do you think that this team is no better than 9-9 and that the lineups are exactly as they should be? That CJS has make no mistakes? You've had zero shyness about expressing your contempt for the coaching abilities of CEF and CKS, both of whom have far more accomplishments than CJS has. Why the hesitation to criticize CJS? Are you just someone who accepts mediocrity if it comes from coaches you like?

I still have yet to hear why you think it is just fine for the coach to plant on the bench players who in your clearly stated opinion are all going to play in the NBA. Dia was comparable to Kyle Anderson or Obi Toppin, remember? Why isn't he worthy of PT? You claim I know nothing about basketball but you have yet to edify us on these very straightforward questions.

How can a coach who is doing nothing wrong as far as you are concerned have a record that is so bad?
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:15 am
MrMemorial wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:41 pm There you go, firing the coach again. Or is that just your "wishful thinking?"
Since you've yet to post any concerns with this season and have just scolded people for expressing their frustration, are you completely satisfied with the job that has been done this season? Do you think that this team is no better than 9-9 and that the lineups are exactly as they should be? That CJS has make no mistakes? You've had zero shyness about expressing your contempt for the coaching abilities of CEF and CKS, both of whom have far more accomplishments than CJS has. Why the hesitation to criticize CJS? Are you just someone who accepts mediocrity if it comes from coaches you like?

I still have yet to hear why you think it is just fine for the coach to plant on the bench players who in your clearly stated opinion are all going to play in the NBA. Dia was comparable to Kyle Anderson or Obi Toppin, remember? Why isn't he worthy of PT? You claim I know nothing about basketball but you have yet to edify us on these very straightforward questions.

How can a coach who is doing nothing wrong as far as you are concerned have a record that is so bad?
I can understand patience. I get it. I don't like constant turnover for coaches and I like to give them 4 years to see where we are as every person is now accounted for as the coach selected these players. Injury bug with Liam is bad luck. But with Liam we were 9-8 a couple games into SEC play. I don't see us building for the future because the freshman barely play. In this day and age of the portal, if you don't play you leave. If you get called out in press conferences as Stack has done with the freshman repeatedly, you are pushing out the players you just brought in. Not a good retention strategy being deployed right now for the nucleus that is supposed to take us towards calmer waters and better results.
Locked Previous topicNext topic