Portal additions

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Jason94
Admiral

Re: Portal additions

Post by Jason94 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:46 pm
Gambit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:44 pm Nigel Pack from Kansas State is in the portal.
Decent scorer and three point shooter on a high volume; doesn’t get to the FT line a lot or dish many assists. Leads me to think he’s more of a shooting guard than a true point, but could be wrong. Haven’t seen him play.
He moved from point due to the presence of Nowell, but had a good assist rate as a freshman. 43% career three point shooter on a lot of volume and almost 84% from the line on his career (though he doesn't get there often. A little on the small size but someone who could play point and score from there and spread the court with his three point shooting ability. He is basically what we would like Thomas to develop into.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:18 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:35 pm Had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.72 at least one season.

I'll let Jason expound on what that means.

His 33% from three and 65% at the line are certainly not overwhelming.

Mark Sears by comparison was 41% from three and 88% at the ft line with a 4.1 : 3.2 A/to ratio. (1.28)

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... lon-cooper

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... mark-sears
I guess my concern would be how he performed against high-major competition and the like - his numbers seemed to really go down against good competition, and though that could be a function of his teammates offensive prowess (or lack thereof) against good teams. His TO rate was actually higher than Pippen's, he just didn't use near as many possessions as Pippen did (about half as many in fact).

He is an option, but his presence would require a lot of other players to take a much larger role in the offense, as he is nowhere near the ballhog that Pippen was (and I mean that in its most neutral sense - an efficient player who can dominate the ball can be a huge asset). Sears also had his number go down a bit against good competition, but his shooter percentages are much better and he dominated the ball (not to the extent of Pippen but he was the most involved player on Ohio's team). At a lower level of usage it is very possible that his efficiency wouldn't take a hit that would typically come with a step up in competition level.

There have been a lot of options listed out there and I'd definitely place Cooper in a tier below that of Sears, who is potentially a lower usage, better shooting version of Pippen.
What Sears did vs teams that made the big dance:

Akron 20 pts / 7 rebs / 7 assists
Akron 24 pts / 8 rebs / 5 assists
LSU 11 pts / 4 rebs / 1 assist
UK 10 pts / 1 rebs / 5 assists
Cleveland St. 15 pts / 3 rebs / 5 assists

misc. Sears vs Belmont:
27 pts / 4 rebs / 6 assists

misc. SPjr vs Belmont:
10 pts / 2 rebs / 6 assists
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Nobody hold your breath hoping to snag Sears. I haven’t seen him linked to VU anywhere, and he has announced his apparent finalists.
https://www.on3.com/news/transfer-porta ... mson-tide/
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

This is currently a moot subject. CJS stated (see vucommodores.com) that it is not a foregone conclusion that Pippen is leaving because his measurables for the NBA haven't changed since last year and he is contemplating coming back. Coach seemed to be saying they need a guard, but they are holding open the possibly of Pippen coming back, yet they need him to make up his mind before all the good ones are gone. Until Pippen decides, the portal seems out of the question.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:45 am Nobody hold your breath hoping to snag Sears. I haven’t seen him linked to VU anywhere, and he has announced his apparent finalists.
At least Bruce Pearl didn't make the cut. Sears is from the Florence AL area, so Bama might be the favorite in that race. The last time Ohio had a "big name" guard transfer to a p5, it was Jarron Simmons who was first team All-MAC and at his new school (Michigan) got 8 min. per game and 1.5 ppg.

OOPS! :oops:

Now, with that said, even if SPjr returns (let's hope) wouldn't Mann and Dezonie (and Frank - not very confirmed) leaving open up some sort of opening for a wing/forward? This is where Sears' buddy VanderPlas could be big. Not just because he's 6-8/240 and first team All-Mac and first team academic all american. He's a great guy with terrific maturity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Qi191apgs
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

commadore wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:14 am This is currently a moot subject. CJS stated (see vucommodores.com) that it is not a foregone conclusion that Pippen is leaving because his measurables for the NBA haven't changed since last year and he is contemplating coming back. Coach seemed to be saying they need a guard, but they are holding open the possibly of Pippen coming back, yet they need him to make up his mind before all the good ones are gone. Until Pippen decides, the portal seems out of the question.
so should we be assuming that someone(s?) is feverishly exploring nil opportunities for jr.?
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

commadore wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:14 am This is currently a moot subject. CJS stated (see vucommodores.com) that it is not a foregone conclusion that Pippen is leaving because his measurables for the NBA haven't changed since last year and he is contemplating coming back. Coach seemed to be saying they need a guard, but they are holding open the possibly of Pippen coming back, yet they need him to make up his mind before all the good ones are gone. Until Pippen decides, the portal seems out of the question.
I couldn't find that interview - I did see in the Xavier postgame where he said that he felt that Pippen should return this year but that he was not going to push him either way this year. He did leave it open, but it seemed like it was more of that he hadn't heard of a final decision.

I think we need another guard regardless of whether Pippen returns of not. It doesn't necessarily have to be a true point - a combo guard type like Chatman will be fine, but it would be best if it were someone capable of scoring at least 10 ppg next season.
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

How long does SPJ have to decide?
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

What are the dates for entering the draft?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Nashmann wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:45 am What are the dates for entering the draft?
The deadline to declare is April 24. The NCAA's deadline to withdraw from the draft is June 1.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:45 am Nobody hold your breath hoping to snag Sears. I haven’t seen him linked to VU anywhere, and he has announced his apparent finalists.
If VU is not looking at Sears it may be transfer academics. Otherwise, I can't see CJS not even making contact.
VU would be up against some stiff competition for his services. Would be nice though.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Nashmann wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:18 pm
If VU is not looking at Sears it may be transfer academics. Otherwise, I can't see CJS not even making contact.
VU would be up against some stiff competition for his services. Would be nice though.
It may not be academics. It might be bad optics to go after a guy so similar to SPjr when SP hasn't decided.

Not all transfers from "mid-majors" are crappy in the classroom.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Staff did a pretty good job balancing this last year, hopefully they can do as well this year.

Frankly, the vibe of this back and forth leaves me with the sense that SPJr will be back for his senior year and if that is the case we'll need to get him a stud distributer, once again. Hopefully the injury gods will be with us this coming season.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:56 pm

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:18 am
I couldn't find that interview - I did see in the Xavier postgame where he said that he felt that Pippen should return this year but that he was not going to push him either way this year. He did leave it open, but it seemed like it was more of that he hadn't heard of a final decision.

I think we need another guard regardless of whether Pippen returns of not. It doesn't necessarily have to be a true point - a combo guard type like Chatman will be fine, but it would be best if it were someone capable of scoring at least 10 ppg next season.
maybe it was the tennessean or the other board. Honestly can't remember.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:38 pm

This says Graduate....does that mean he is a Graduate(status) or looking to transfer for a graduate year? Why would we need a 6'8" forward with a 12.8 pts average when we need a point guard?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Sears committed to Alabama.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:10 pm Sears committed to Alabama.
I hope he doesn't kill s when we play Bama ...
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Nashmann wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:39 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:38 pm

This says Graduate....does that mean he is a Graduate(status) or looking to transfer for a graduate year? Why would we need a 6'8" forward with a 12.8 pts average when we need a point guard?
Due to covid he has a year left if he wants to play another year.

If we lost Mann (a forward) and Frank (a forward but can't find much proof he is actually leaving), then there might be room for a guy who can play wing, power forward, center who can pass, shoot threes, play in the paint, etc and has VU grades. But if SPjr returns and "whatever" about the new Disu rumor... maybe not so much with 3 young guys showing up between 6-7 and 6-9. But one thing is certain. Being from a "mid-major" won't be a hinderance for his academics. I have heard Northwestern might want him. Their academics are, ya know, pretty good.

For the record, he had 19 vs UK and 19 vs Belmont. His scoring average would have been higher for the season if Jason Carter had not transferred back to Ohio from Xavier, also a 6-8 forward.
skinnerfan
Lieutenant

Post by skinnerfan »

The interview that Coach Stackhouse talked about Pippen and that he needs to know soon on his decision was on 1025 the game on Willie Dunac's show on Monday. Stackhouse was at the Final Four.

He also said one reason Pippen could comeback is that he could break a lot of records plus be a NCAA tourney team.
Locked Previous topicNext topic