SC vs Vandy Game 1

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: SC vs Vandy Game 1

Post by geeznotagain »

Levon wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:17 pm Quality pitching depth doesn't mean everyone is a weekend SEC starter. Quality pitching can be for a couple innings or even a couple hitters. The problem comes when your SEC weekend starters whom you depend on for 6-7 strong innings every start go down. Now the guy who may otherwise be counted on to get 6-9 outs (Cunningham for example) has to get 15 outs. It sets the rest of the relievers up to have to get more outs. And even good pitchers have bad games. On top of that, Vandy's solid gold medal defense has been more bronze medal quality the last few games. I think Vandy's pitching depth remains solid...as long as the first-line guys are available. This is a Regional host team. Let's see how Holton and Owen and Dutkanych and the other currently injured guys are doing in May. This is one game; I'm confident Corbs will have them ready tomorrow and beyond.
I disagree. I contend that quality depth means you can deal effectively with the loss of 3-4 quality pitchers and still patchwork together 9 innings that, while not up to your usual solid A standards, at least can put, say, a B- product out there that gives your team a chance to win.

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

It’s baseball…SC had a lot of “seeing eye” hits, but the homers killed us! Saturday is a new day….maybe more of the same, but we start 0-0!
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Hope SC wakes up today and finds themselves in Nashville. Time fot homefield advantage to take over.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

geeznotagain wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:25 pm
Levon wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:17 pm Quality pitching depth doesn't mean everyone is a weekend SEC starter. Quality pitching can be for a couple innings or even a couple hitters. The problem comes when your SEC weekend starters whom you depend on for 6-7 strong innings every start go down. Now the guy who may otherwise be counted on to get 6-9 outs (Cunningham for example) has to get 15 outs. It sets the rest of the relievers up to have to get more outs. And even good pitchers have bad games. On top of that, Vandy's solid gold medal defense has been more bronze medal quality the last few games. I think Vandy's pitching depth remains solid...as long as the first-line guys are available. This is a Regional host team. Let's see how Holton and Owen and Dutkanych and the other currently injured guys are doing in May. This is one game; I'm confident Corbs will have them ready tomorrow and beyond.
I disagree. I contend that quality depth means you can deal effectively with the loss of 3-4 quality pitchers and still patchwork together 9 innings that, while not up to your usual solid A standards, at least can put, say, a B- product out there that gives your team a chance to win.
That would be a sweet world to live in.
Locked Previous topicNext topic