Post-game handshakes

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Post-game handshakes

Post by charlestonalum »

[/quote]

I found a recording. That quote is nearly verbatim. I don’t know how much competitive sports you’ve played in your life, but I am completely on board with Stack’s take. You protect your teammates when the situation warrants it. Refs completely botched that situation. Manjon wasn’t inciting a “brawl” as you put it. He got fired up to defend a teammate. I’m all for that. And that mentality sure seemed to be the catalyst for a win.
[/quote]

I was listening after the game and I agree with you. That is exactly what Stack said.
[/quote]

First, hope the team has put this far in the rear view mirror. Focus needs to be on a very good Alabama meaning a great opportunity.
Seond, it is widely recognized that Stack's experience is mostly in playing the sport and he is still learning College Basketball - especially recruiting and all that entails. However, he is a veteran team player and expert in understanding competition. He knows what it takes to be a competitive team member. His comments reflect that understanding and this is exactly why his team respects him. Stack has not had years of learning coach speak and this bothers some, but he is a genuine competitor and authenic team player. His team is becoming a reflection of their coach and this in my opinion bodes well for continued growth and development.

memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:44 pm

I’m talking about the postgame interview with Kevin Ingram on the VU radio broadcast.
Stack said, “A guy can’t come and stand over my teammate and actually put his foot on him and not expect somebody to respond. Lucky I wasn’t playing. But you know, I’m proud of Edge…I want our guys pulling for each other. You got your brother down there on the floor somebody’s standing on top of him, I’ll take that every time ‘cause we’re a team. We can weather the storm and we got other guys capable to step out on the floor if we lose one of our brothers.”

There may be some minor errors in my transcription but that is about as close to what he said as I can get.
He absolutely praised Manjon and this is the type of attitude and fire I love in Stack. And it is being instilled in his players. ALSO, I think he is instilling some discipline, to boot. I am stunned that Miles Stute kept his composure as well as he did yesterday given some of his prior moments. I can’t help but think that is a result of some conversations with coaches.

And I don’t mind Stack picking up the technical at all. He had a right to be pissed at the officiating crew and to let them know that they botched that call. Especially that they had to think about it right at half time.
I mentioned before that I heard the postgame show.

Some take things so literally and out of context and restate them ways not intended as being the takeaway from it, that it shows one has to be extremely careful what they say, whether it be me in here or Stackhouse making casual comments people obsess on later. We don't need to make 20 seconds here and there into pronouncements of law set in granite as VU team policy on pushing instead of letting a ref handle the reffing and us settle the matter on the scoreboard.

The team responded fiercely (to show caring support Quentin and Ezra, as well as to Black's taunts) by our great play in the 2nd half. Great to see the comradery too. CJS spent the first 4 minutes of the interview describing how we responded in the second half to step up to the plate. 

I did not mean literally that I needed a transcript: I was alluding to seeming memorization of every word he said being overkill, and then later learned you had even typed up a transcript to insist Stackhouse was thrilled that we got technical fouls and that your takeaway is that he wants them to knock down players in front of a ref (even if due to mistaken direction of a push) every game if anyone annoys us.

Since we are making transcripts, there were more than 5 minutes to that interview which started at 3:11:12 into the broadcast and ended at 3:16:40 when they switched to Stute. 

The brief moment CJS said those rushed sentences took place at 3:15:40 for about 5 seconds one sentence and another sentence you interpreted this literal way later at about 3:16:20 for a few seconds.

Ten seconds, two sentences that one could elevate into a Roman oration commanding pushing over any taunting wascally wabbit right next to the referee or a literal statement that CJS would have done the same exact thing pushing Black when his "good thing I wasn't playing!" was said in good humor, referencing his pro days, not college. This is what I meant by saying Stack wasn't suggesting his NBA type brawler days is something he would make university policy whenever we get annoyed, not that "Manjon incited a brawl" as you misinterpreted me.

Re your comment "how much experience you've had in competitive sports," I had plenty of it before college playing in an intense basketball city like a lot of my friends. It is not a sign of having been drilled by basketball coaches or playing with a team if you put all that away over a few excited sentences from CJS and assume clumsily pushing some skinny, tall goon onto your teammate directly in front of a ref and then need to be separated from another player is going to protect anyone or that CJS thinks that.

It was certainly Black's fault that he was so close to Quentin from standing over him that it took little to fall over Q, but pushing Black towards Quentin did not protect Quentin.

The ref can't see a taunt by Black if one of our players starts becoming center of attention in an incident.

There are a lot of things coaches say that they don't mean as university policy, just like Stallings didn't literally mean he wanted to "kill" Baldwin after the UT game but people blew that out of proportion too.

What Stackhouse came off to me as saying was that he was very happy his team came together to support each other after that incident and step up to show they can weather the storm if one brother goes out who meant to stand up for the other (though did not do it a way that helped in this case -- nobody's perfect and Manjon will be smarter next time).

To me, the thrust of what CJS meant was this part, "I just asked them to just go and really take a look before you make any hasty decision on who needs to be kicked out and all of this and all of this." He meant that it was wrong to throw Manjon out and not Black. He meant that Black incited the situation. 

I never meant that Manjon "incited" anything. Black did. CJS, to me, if we are going to have to go to transcripts, was speaking about how if someone is standing over one of our players that should be taken into consideration by the REF and it was not. So of course CJS got incensed with the call.

This was more my takeaway from the radio show comments than literally thinking he praises a scrap: 

"You know, we can weather the storm. We've got other guys capable to step out if we lose one of our brothers. So I'm happy that they feel that way about each other. And I think this is the start of something really good for us. I mean that's a good win against a quality team and now we've got another one coming in here and I'm pretty sure we'll be up and jacked for that one too."

Getting excited and coming together to win and play tough, making shots is what is possibly the start of something good, he hopes and I do too. The press conference later was even more clear.
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

This video shows more of the points I took as what Stackhouse really meant to put forward (than the other stuff from the radio show about how he was glad that Ezra cared about his fellow player and that the players played fiercely to win after the insulting taunts as with fighting for one's honor on the battlefield as they say).

CJS states at 5:00 to 5:30 in that they would "make sure that we're smarter in those situations" after this.

He said both in this video and the radio show that he didn't think Manjon didn't need to be ejected (I agree) though I think he realized he probably deserved a technical. Black certainly deserved one or two technicals (one for the mocking at the foul line later) in my opinion, all things considered. I don't think either interview needed to be taken so seriously but this one illustrates better how I see his views in context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n1ctG5GMdQ
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

More interesting to me than cherrypicking Stackhouse's meanings is why Arkansas didn't shake hands at the end. They must have been rattled.
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

charlestonalum wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:42 am
First, hope the team has put this far in the rear view mirror. Focus needs to be on a very good Alabama meaning a great opportunity.
Seond, it is widely recognized that Stack's experience is mostly in playing the sport and he is still learning College Basketball - especially recruiting and all that entails. However, he is a veteran team player and expert in understanding competition. He knows what it takes to be a competitive team member. His comments reflect that understanding and this is exactly why his team respects him. Stack has not had years of learning coach speak and this bothers some, but he is a genuine competitor and authenic team player. His team is becoming a reflection of their coach and this in my opinion bodes well for continued growth and development.
I have a fuller five and a half minute transcript of what was said than what was shared in the thread, and I didn't get out of it what the person who wants it to mean what he made it into did. I don't think we are giving Stack enough credit for having good sense.

I do not view him as counseling his team to push people down; he was trying to say he didn't think Ezra needed to be ejected and admitted later in a press conference video that he pushed. He didn't mean he thought Ezra should replicate that in the future because he specifically said in a later press conference that we need to play "smarter in those situations" in the future. Technicals can be part of the game. Ejections are upsetting however, so that is what I think bothered stack, especially with no call on the taunts.

I see him as understanding teaching them discipline (he's mentioned the word) even though anybody can have a heated moment once in a blue moon, whether it be Stackhouse in the NBA or Manjon that night.

I might differ a little in not viewing him as someone having trouble learning coach speak in the condescending way many fans treat him. I can flow with what he is doing just fine, but you're right that some don't. I think Quentin modeled after the incident the poise that he wants from them generally as mentioned by our needing to be "smarter" next time. Stute for instance tried to walk away from a problem earlier in the game, which was a good thing because Stackhouse said he is often "chippy," lol.

I think the passion to not be pushed around and our intensity generated fierce playing in the second half. He rightly said we "rallied" from that ending to the first half in the second. May we pull together as well the rest of the season.
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

@memphisVUalum
Note, nowhere did I state that resorting to physical violence was university policy or that Stackhouse suggested that. You stated early in the thread that CJS didn’t express that he was proud of Ezra. Based on the comments I cited, I begged to differ. Like Stack, I also don’t have a problem with Ezra taking issue with Black stepping on QMB. Clearly, based on the officials’ reaction, they weren’t going to (i.e., didn’t) do anything about it.

I have seen plenty of guys shove somebody off of a teammate and not receive any penalty whatsoever. Ezra getting double T’d there was clear bias, and while he deserved a single T for pushing Black, under the circumstances that’s a T I don’t mind him getting.

We can agree to disagree.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:35 am @memphisVUalum
Note, nowhere did I state that resorting to physical violence was university policy or that Stackhouse suggested that. You stated early in the thread that CJS didn’t express that he was proud of Ezra. Based on the comments I cited, I begged to differ. Like Stack, I also don’t have a problem with Ezra taking issue with Black stepping on QMB. Clearly, based on the officials’ reaction, they weren’t going to (i.e., didn’t) do anything about it.

I have seen plenty of guys shove somebody off of a teammate and not receive any penalty whatsoever. Ezra getting double T’d there was clear bias, and while he deserved a single T for pushing Black, under the circumstances that’s a T I don’t mind him getting.

We can agree to disagree.
While "violence" wasn't the word I used, I was thinking at the time you thought he wanted to them to literally mete out brawling justice like Stackhouse might have on his most angry day in the NBA or by how things went for Manjon when he picked a less effective way to show he gave a darn this particular occasion. You had said Stack said Manjon "did exactly what he should’ve" and I was trying to say that's an oversimplification of what he meant, as he said a lot including the things in a later interview about being "smarter in those situations." I felt like what he clarified even in the radio interview later that what he was proud of was they showed they all cared about each other and that Manjon's spirit in that situation led them to all show they cared, as they pulled together to launch a rally.

I did not feel he was as literal as you had originally seemed from the radio show that you then quoted from about what he was proud of. I don't feel he was wanting Ezra to literally replicate that way of expressing his caring about his teammate in the future but certainly was proud of Ezra and all of them for caring, proud of Ezra for inspiring them to care. But wanting them (and probably himself as part of a team) to handle it smarter in the future.

Looking back at what you said earlier, here's where we agree that I missed: You said, "ALSO, I think he is instilling some discipline, to boot. I am stunned that Miles Stute kept his composure as well as he did yesterday given some of his prior moments. I can’t help but think that is a result of some conversations with coaches." So yes, I think we probably think similarly and liked that the team got fired up and want them to bottle that feeling without stepping into any pitfalls next time.
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

and again as I meant to return to at the end of this was the original post - More interesting to me than the postgame comments is why Arkansas didn't shake hands at the end.

I wonder if anyone witnessed them leaving. They must have been rattled. The tv folks didn't manage to catch them vanishing, I saw one of our players looking amused in the direction of a particular exit Arkansas had already seemed to leave through as our team circled the court.

And now we have a lot bigger things tonight to worry about with Alabama coming in, yikes.
Locked Previous topicNext topic