Inside the Anchor (1/26): staff pushing for last second visit from ACC commit and more

Insider forum for fans of Vanderbilt football, men's and women's basketball, and baseball. Signup for access here https://www.14powers.com/signup-for-membership/ If you are a premium member and are having trouble accessing this board please email donyates@vandymania.com Include your username in the email.
ShaneKinnee
Commander

Inside the Anchor (1/26): staff pushing for last second visit from ACC commit and more

Post by ShaneKinnee »

- One of the staffs top targets early in the 2017 recruiting cycle was Nashville, TN (Ensworth) three-star safety Rodney Owens. They have pursued the hometown kid very hard, but he still ended up committing to Louisville a few months ago. Despite his commitment to the Cardinals, the staff has been recruiting him and staying in contact him. Their progress with Owens was working very well awhile back as they got him to visit in late November and had a visit scheduled for an official visit on Jan. 20th. But after talking with the Louisville staff, he decided to cancel after fear of his losing his offer.

Derek Mason and his staff backed off around a month ago after hearing this, but it looks like things aren't quite over with yet. The 6-foot, 190-pounder got a phone call from both coach Mason and Mattioli yesterday. He informed me that the staff is pushing "very hard" to get him to take an official visit to Nashville this last weekend.

"He was telling me they are taking another safety and how I would impact the team and things like that," Owens told VandyMania. "He spoke about my leadership and how I carry myself but he also said I be a big plus for this class. I like the coaches personally I think they are straightforward and great guys."

Owens has had past interest in Vanderbilt and Mason's staff in Nashville. But he informed me that he's happy with his decision and is coming fresh off an official visit to Louisville this past weekend. The current Louisville pledge left the odds at "pretty low", but I have seen crazier things on the recruiting trail happen. In addition, with Owens being a Nashville located prospect, he could easily take an unofficial visit and keep it on the down low.

- I know many of you have been asking about the prospect that I said would be committing a few days ago. So I will address that now, this prospect was an official visitor to Nashville this past weekend and is a major target for the staff. I was told by him that he has already decided on Vanderbilt and planned to make it official on Monday. Since then, he has informed me that he's still going to commit to Vanderbilt and it should happen either today or Friday. But, he told me he was going to commit on Monday, so you can take that how you want.

- As for another Vanderbilt past official visitor, major WR target Chris Pierce. I am starting to hear from a source that he gave his commitment to the staff on his visit to see the Dores' on Jan. 20th. The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder was also visited earlier in the week by coach Hankton and it looks like he confirmed his decision to the staff to Anchor Down. He will announce his commitment this Monday at his high school's basketball game. I fully expect him to pick Vanderbilt.

Lead recruiting reporter for VandyMania, covering Vandy football and hoops recruiting.