41-man roster?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

41-man roster?

Post by Versus75 »

http://14powers.com/vanderbilt/2019-van ... ll-roster/

Four Seniors who have been regulars, another Senior who started occasionally, a Redshirt Junior and 35 other players on this roster.

Looks to be a great team, but I thought we are limited to 35 players. What am I missing?

quiesedba

Re: 41-man roster?

Post by quiesedba »

Under NCAA rules, these 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25% scholarship.

DIrosters are limited at 35, including redshirts. Travel roster limit is 27-28 depending on conference I believe.

so 6 will not be on the roster
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

As I have said, you are going to have to be an outstanding player to be on this roster.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Sure it will be tough for Corbin. You look at guys like Fentress and AJ Johnson who are redshirt juniors that haven't had a lot of playing time in their career. And then someone like Grisanti who has just never been able to break into a fulltime starting role and wasnt able to take that step forward last year as a junior. Wonder if they are going to have a hard time making the team.

But that still leaves 3 more you'd have to pick from. If some of those seniors who had down years, continue to look down through the Fall, I wonder if Corbin would actually make that move to keep the younger talent? Have a hard time seeing that, but putting emotion aside, from a logical point of view you can easily make the argument to keep younger talented players.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

I think Grisanti has a decent shot at making it. Great OB% and occasional pop in the bat. That OF does look crowded though, and I suppose you hang on to guys with more eligibility if you believe they will improve at some point to contribute.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

I believe they will have to show they can be a contributor early in order to get PT.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I'm wondering what we do with the guys who are "cut" ... if that is the correct term.

Are they told before the Spring Semester in order that it make a transfer easier if that is their choice?

If they have partial scholarships will those be honored?

I'm sure this will work itself out and I don't doubt that Corbs and the staff have the utmost concern for the players. But then this may be new territory. I don't recall ever having more than 2 or 3 extra players at some point.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Without any special knowledge of the situation, I would guess that there will be some hard conversations in the week after the Black/Gold games this weekend. That gives kids a chance to react and find a place to land if they aren't going to be on the roster. The upperclassmen would likely stay on and graduate, but I don't know what you do if you are a soph on the outside looking in.
wdsmith45
Seaman

Post by wdsmith45 »

Here's my guess.....
Starting at 41, there is at least one freshman that has a medical redshirt... Of course those do count against your 35..... But I would guess 1 more redshirt freshman.... Might have one or two with a grade issue

The NCAA wants to know who the 35 will be in or around the first of Feb. A lot can happen between now and then... I think 27 can travel to SEC games. in case that's 5 away trips and the 27 can could from any of the 35

The determining factors are usually by position and readiness. The team has no freshman left handed pitchers. I would guess a LHP with SEC exp is a shoe-in.

Then comes RHP... I see most upperclassman are ready or have a role, and a few freshman are ready... a couple of freshman might not be ready for various reasons.

I would say from the 35 spots 17 are pitchers then 7 position players... and 2 catchers and then a backup for those.... 9 gets you to 35.... But it's all about production...

Those 6 that cannot be rostered with the NCAA will have plenty to do... and chances are they realize they would be wasting a year with little to no playing time. Would you rather be a freshman that is not rostered working out getting better with 3-4 years to go, or the 31st thru 35th guy burning a year for 5 AB's ?

One thing for sure... this team is loaded with talent.
wdsmith45
Seaman

Post by wdsmith45 »

Aaron Brown soph RHP has transferred to State College of Florida.
Locked Previous topicNext topic