As bad as the midweek games have been lately, I'm more concerned about our lack of offense

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

As bad as the midweek games have been lately, I'm more concerned about our lack of offense

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

It's fallen off a cliff since the last game of the MSU series.

In the six games played since and including that game, VU is averaging 5.5 hits per game and 2.8 runs per game. By comparison, VU averaged 10.9 hits and 8.5 runs in the 19 games prior. If it weren't for a couple of timely home runs in the first game of the LSU series and a masterful performance by Mason Hickman, we'd be looking at a really dire situation right now.

There are probably lots of reasons why we are struggling at the plate right now. It's a freshman-loaded team, we strike out a lot (first in the SEC), the weather has generally been cold and moist the last two weeks, a couple of upperclassmen just cannot get hits (Julian Infante most prominently), etc. I expect we will see some lineup changes this weekend.

Fortunately, it's a long season.

GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Re: As bad as the midweek games have been lately, I'm more concerned about our lack of offense

Post by GooseJones15 »

Very well stated. I share the same concerns
ScrappyDore
Captain

Re: As bad as the midweek games have been lately, I'm more concerned about our lack of offense

Post by ScrappyDore »

Which is why I see a miserable weekend coming up. Florida can and will hit at home. You know they can pitch. Not a good weekend to get better.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

the mid-week flops are undermining the confidence on this board, but this team all year has played its best ball against good teams: don't be surprised if that continues. If we win 2 at Florida it will make an incredible statement and scare the rest of the SEC. Here's hoping...
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

Our starting pitching will keep us in it this weekend especially if Raby gets going.
ScrappyDore
Captain

Post by ScrappyDore »

One has to wonder how much playing 20 of 24 games on the road has been part of the problem. As this long trip has gone on, the offense has continued to get worse. Bet Corbin never puts a schedule like this together again.
Locked Previous topicNext topic