Please help ID two Vandy players

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BillVol
Seaman

Please help ID two Vandy players

Post by BillVol »

I saw this photo on a Chattanooga Riverside HS Facebook page. I assume this photo was on that page because at least one of the players attended Riverside. But I do not recall any Riverside players attending Vanderbilt. Many great Riverside players went to Oral Roberts, including Anthony Roberts and Richard Fuqua.

Can anyone ID one or both? Thanks. I'm curious because I am a fan of Chattanooga basketball and college basketball.

vurhs.jpg
vurhs.jpg (138.55 KiB) Viewed 8488 times

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: Please help ID two Vandy players

Post by OldDude »

Hi Bill, don't know if this means anything but the list below is one I found as to varsity players using number 24. These guys look really young so could be frosh team from late 60s - early 70s. Any names look familiar ? My only guess would be Springer based on look of the gym and the uniform, but Tommy's face just isn't fresh enough in my ancient mind. If we had the number on the other guy might help.

Aaron Nesmith................................... 2019-20
Nolan Cressler................................... 2015-17
Dai-Jon Parker................................... 2012-14
Andre Walker..................................... 2008-10
Scott Hundley.................................... 2000-03
Pax Whitehead .................................. 1994-96
James Amsler.................................... 1987-89
Glen Clem .......................................... 1983-87
Mark Elliott ........................................ 1977-80
Tommy Springer ............................... 1976-77
Joe Ford............................................. 1973-76
Doug Bates ........................................ 1971-72
Rudy Thacker..................................... 1968-71
Art Welhoelter ................................... 1967-68
Jerry Southwood............................... 1964-67
Warren Fisher .................................... 1960-61
Doug Yates......................................... 1956-59
Ralph Childs....................................... 1955-56
Bill Gee............................................... 1952-55
Dave Kardokus .................................. 1949-52
Bobby Lawrence................................ 1946-47
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

The only African-American players from Chattanooga that I remember from the mid-70's on were James Williams (#32 from Chatt Howard?) and Clarence Crazy Horse Smith, who may have gone to Riverside, but wore #45.

Not sure who the gentlemen in the pic are but they aren't Williams or Smith.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:57 pm The only African-American players from Chattanooga that I remember from the mid-70's on were James Williams (#32 from Chatt Howard?) and Clarence Crazy Horse Smith, who may have gone to Riverside, but wore #45.

Not sure who the gentlemen in the pic are but they aren't Williams or Smith.
Don't know VU askew, but I think you hit it. If 24 is Springer as I guessed, then he and Clarence were here the same years and would have been frosh together. Smith being at Riverside could make sense as to the other guy.
BillVol
Seaman

Post by BillVol »

Thanks to all! I sent DMs to the FB page moderator. No reply. I sent an email to a friend who went to Riverside. Maybe she hasn't seen it yet. Also sent email to your hoops SID, who copied to Andrew Maraniss. I told both of them that Memorial Gymnasium is my favorite sports venue on earth, including Augusta National and Neyland Stadium. Maybe they thought I was lying, which I wasn't. Nothing from either of them.

It's a great pic anyhow!

James Williams is a special name in Chattanooga hoops lore. I remember like yesterday when he scored 20+ points in his frosh debut for the Commodores. He was point guard on a legendary Chattanooga Howard team that also starred Reggie White, Charles Morgan, Stanford Strickland, and others that lost to Memphis Northside in the state championship game -- a loss that is still very painful.

https://tssaasports.com/event/results.cfm?id=18699

Antonio Petty from Howard is a ref in the SEC today. Or was recently. Always have to add a disclaimer because I always get fact-checked.

Fact-checking myself. I guess Williams had already graduated from Howard.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I would love to know what some of the former Commodores greats are doing these days. Back when there used to be media guides, there was a section devoted to former players and their whereabouts. I really miss that section.
Last edited by VUaskew on Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillVol
Seaman

Post by BillVol »

Looking over that box score I linked, I noticed Phillip "Doom" Haynes played for Northside. Does anyone remember him when he played for Memphis? He was one of my favorites because he banked every shot he could. Whenever Memphis was on TV back then, I would never miss the game just to see some of the crazy shots he banked in. I would love to see a highlight video of some of his shots. I started a thread on him on a Memphis board several years ago asking if he banked FTs. I couldn't remember. I was told he did not bank FTs. Hardly anyone uses the board anymore.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Bill, you are right that few use the board anymore; I see so many 3- 4 footers rim out being shot too hard staight at the basket.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Terry Compton was great at using the backboard. 15 feet, 25 feet, if it was at an angle, he banked it.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

BillVol wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:57 am...Hardly anyone uses the board anymore.
One of my Dad's pet peeves. His oft-repeated quote: "That's what it's there for."
ScottGVU
Captain

Post by ScottGVU »

Wasn't Tommy Springer from Nashville? I think he went to Glencliff.
Also, I was at Memphis State when Doom was there. I heard the ball squeak on the backboard on a shot he took from the corner.
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

Tommy Springer IS NOT in the photo. I went to Junior High with him -- he had a big afro when he played at Vandy. One could be James Williams as mentioned in the thread. The photo isn't PRE 1970 as you can see 2L and 3L in the background.
The don't look tall enough to be John Sneed and Carl Crain from the late 70's.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

BillVol wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:57 am Looking over that box score I linked, I noticed Phillip "Doom" Haynes played for Northside. Does anyone remember him when he played for Memphis? He was one of my favorites because he banked every shot he could. Whenever Memphis was on TV back then, I would never miss the game just to see some of the crazy shots he banked in. I would love to see a highlight video of some of his shots. I started a thread on him on a Memphis board several years ago asking if he banked FTs. I couldn't remember. I was told he did not bank FTs. Hardly anyone uses the board anymore.
Yes, I remember the Mid-South Coliseum crowd would erupt with a loud and drawn out "DOOOM!!!" when he would hit a wildly improbable shot. Played on one of those great Dana Kirk Memphis teams in the mid-80s. I hadn't thought about Doom in decades.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Andrew Maraniss should know the answer. This would be in the book.

Who were the other two Black players recruited the same season as Perry Wallace? It was just before my time and possibly just after the end zone was expanded. I believe Skinner didn't even suit up the guys who were not in his "rotation" of 8 or 9 players and those two only played in Freshmen games (ineligible for Varsity at the time). Can't recall if they were still with Vanderbilt as sophomores but did not make Varsity (we still had a JV team*).

If they were still there for the sophomore season (1967-68), there were a couple of what you might call blowout games: 26-point win versus Ole Miss; 21-point win at Miss. State; 29-point win at Memorial versus LSU to close the season.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html

Apparently, 20-6 wasn't good enough for the N.I.T. in those days.

One of the two African-American players transferred to Detroit, I believe, and had a good career. Not sure of the other.

*Were some scholarship players left off the Varsity roster to keep them fresh for JV games?
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

godfrey dillard was perry wallace's freshman teammate: https://www.secsports.com/article/29039 ... ors-others
i'm not sure about another.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

docdore wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:00 pm godfrey dillard was perry wallace's freshman teammate: https://www.secsports.com/article/29039 ... ors-others
i'm not sure about another.
Dillard was the only African American recruit with Perry. The next one was Bill Ligon who was signed in 1970, from Gallatin.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Vanderbilt never had JV teams, only freshman teams until they were allowed to play varsity.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Vandy also had a player from Gallatin, Erskine Bennett, who never played varsity.
Locked Previous topicNext topic