Mike Wright

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

vandylifer
Lieutenant

Mike Wright

Post by vandylifer »

I really AM FOCUSED on US (VU), but I was just curious and looked it up. Mike rushed 5 times for 95 yards in State's win yesterday. Was he playing QB or RB? Anyone know? Totally happy with Swan, Seals and company, but do wish Wright all the best. I think he was a strong leader and a fine young man.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Mike Wright

Post by commadore »

I saw two of his runs and they were from QB. Almost a wildcat type play.
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

One of his runs was for 53 yards. He's doing the same in Starkville that he would have done here, we miss him.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Yeah, he was very effective for those two plays. I thought of him yesterday in the first half wondering if he were still a Dore if he would have received some snaps when the offense was struggling a bit. His presence opened up some things because he was such a run threat and could get outside so easily. Probably a blessing in disguise that he's a Bulldog now as Swann showed why he was the chosen one in the 2nd half and who knows what the situation would have been had Wright been available.

Wright made his choice and will probably get a handful of snaps and mop up duty with MSU but honestly it's what he likely would have received here as well. There just aren't many mop up opportunities.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

The big runs for Mike tended to come against the weakest opponents, and yesterday was no different.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Johnmn555 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:18 pm The big runs for Mike tended to come against the weakest opponents, and yesterday was no different.
For the most part, that is true as indicated by the 163 against Hawaii. However, he did have 126 yards rushing in the Kentucky win last year and 152 yards rushing the previous year against Missouri. Interestingly enough, those 3 were the only 100-yard rushing games he had as the Vandy QB and he had 95 yards rushing yesterday. It did seem like he was more of a prolific runner than that (to me).
Versus75
Admiral

We used twice as many QBs (4) …

Post by Versus75 »

in the Alabama A&M game as we did in the entire 2022 season.

Seals could retire now with the likely NCAA single-season record for Passer Efficiency Rating: 483.4
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: We used twice as many QBs (4) …

Post by Go Vandy! »

Versus75 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:07 amSeals could retire now with the likely NCAA single-season record for Passer Efficiency Rating: 483.4
So you're saying he was above average?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Personally, I think they should let Seals play more if nothing else to spur Swann to start looking at the field rather than locking on to one receiver.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

commadore wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:27 am Personally, I think they should let Seals play more if nothing else to spur Swann to start looking at the field rather than locking on to one receiver.
He should have been playing before it was 40-10. What are the chances that they will need him in a tight game at some point? High. What are the chances that giving him some series against Alabama A&M would lead to us losing? Nil. He needs to get his timing down under game conditions before we have to put him in in a serious situation.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

I was just glad to see him get some reward for coming back. Wish it had been a little longer for him. Glad to see the other guys in there too, but Seals is special because of his history.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

As often happens with these threads the subject matter has drifted off. In this case it changed to Seals, who deserves his own thread.

As to Mike Wright, I too hated to see him go. From his interviews I thought he is an outstanding man. However, I felt his play was rather one dimensional. In my view, he is a great runner against teams with weak defenses. He could utilize his speed. But top teams would be able to defend his outside running, I believe. His passing was erratic, probably not SEC caliber. As many have pointed out he should be a receiver or a running back. It appears that he is determined to be a quarterback. Best wishes to him.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I think he may be giving up an NFL career to play QB in college. He's not first to do that. A few have found a new position after college, but not most.
Locked Previous topicNext topic