waking up 1-0

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

waking up 1-0

Post by roanoke »

Here come a number of stream of consciousness ramblings:

Last year we beat Hawaii 63-10. This was a bit of a revenge game for them. Also, the score was a bit misleading: close at half, followed by 2 defensive scores and 2 breakdowns where Wright scampered for miles. Like 28-0 free points. Last night was similar without the free 28 points - and it was 35-14 in the fourth…

At 35-14, we really stubbed our toe. Play-calling, defending, everything. We were very lucky to escape - that on-sides kick should have been recovered by them… We badly lost focus up 21. That cannot sit well with CCL.

The running game was hard to fathom. If someone does a breakdown of yards per carry up the middle versus ypc wide - the middle was pathetic. But at crunch time that is all we did.

The same is true for pocket passing versus quick routes - our braintrust wants to pocket pass. Our o-line has to play much better for that to work. But the quick routes worked great - and we went away from it. Part of that was Swann not checking down. But I have to figure he was coached to try to go downfield.

Our o scored at will early. Give Hawaii credit for adjusting - loading the middle and using speed to unnerve our o-line. Several guys on the line had no answer for that - and, honestly, there may be two new starters on that line if things don’t shape up quickly.

We had trouble in the rain on offense last year - it wasn’t easy playing in those conditions. The offense showed some talent. I’m not discouraged there. I just wish we would be content to do what is working: quick routes, misdirection and running wide were working. We ultimately abandoned everything that was working - and hung on for dear life.

Zero turnovers in those conditions was not bad. Of course, Hawaii dropped two potential picks and one of them was a sure pick-six.

Special teams mattered. And our coverage concerned me. But basically 3 of our scores were set up by special teams. McGowan’s beauty, Shephard’s nice return and the shanked punt. I felt sorry for Hayball. He hit 2 punts that should have been downed inside the five. Each were not downed - but maybe the wet conditions contributed to our guys sliding into the end zone?

It is often nice to get a win, but have fodder to chew out the team. Honestly, CCL needs to chew out his staff. Hawaii outschemed us, out-thought us, and out-adjusted us. It is easy to lose focus up 21 - but it’s the last thing a staff can allow.

Swann’s stats were great. His field vision was not. He locked in several times to throw prayers when he had wide open safety valves. This really cost us several times. Again, if his protection were better, maybe he feels more comfortable to take the time to see the field? My main disappointment was the o-line. Our rushing yardage was disappointing too - but that’s o-line related and when backs caught the ball and ran wide, they looked good. Lynch has to do what works - last night he didn’t. But at least he showed he can call quick passes and misdirection - and most of it worked. We just quit doing it. We do have a real stable of dangerous receivers. There is no denying that.

Being 1-0 is good. We beat a decent team. Hawaii’s offense was not an accident. I’m hoping our secondary learns from the experience. I’m also wondering if there will be some job competition there - bottom line, we didn’t look like a bowl team last night. But we have talent. CCL has some work to do - but he has tools. So I would not give up hope based on an unshiny win. The talent level seems up, the defensive schemes seemed questionable. Room for improvement for sure.

I might add, De’Rickey Wright saved this game for us. Two goal line saves and the final INT. Also, Taylor was great - these two held the d together and certainly deserve praise and credit. The real carnage at the end came after Taylor got banged up.

DonYates
Commodore

Re: waking up 1-0

Post by DonYates »

Well said, Roanoke!
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

As much as Wright saved the game, Hawaii certainly helped with a procedure penalty on first and goal from a foot immediately before the big play.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

The roughing the QB by Hawaii on what would have been 4th down helped tremendously as well.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I've been watching BJ Anderson not cover anybody for 5 years now. I suspect he gets replaced soon.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Vandy got some great calls from the officials that saved our bacon. Over the years we haven't been as lucky on many calls!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Vandy84
Ensign

Post by Vandy84 »

Was surprised the pass beyond the line of scrimmage call was reversed.
The reversal was appropriate, but it was very close.

Hawaii's burning their timeouts early helped as well.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

1-0 is quite acceptable. Vandy and Southern Cal both gave up the same number of points. Hawaii has come a long way since we played them last year. But I will admit to being alarmed when Vandy was unable to maintain possession after Hawaii pulled within seven.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Yes. Hawaii did several things that helped us - and we did get some decent calls, too. Losing games like that can be a study: Hawaii having no time outs left was key at the end. It left them pressed for time - which was exacerbated by the curious running play to start that last drive that ate up about 30 seconds. The roughing the passer penalty was really a gift - maybe game changing. As others have mentioned, the false start at the half yard line was also a gift - which set up Wright’s key pic. They also dropped a pic-six. Similarly, their offsides gave us a free play that turned into a TD bomb. Then there is the zero yard punt - and did anyone notice their alignment on McGowan’s TD return? They squeezed the field to the right- meaning a deft cut left meant green pasture. They will watch film and know they had some chances.

I also thought the forward pass call was verrrry close. Again, critical. The on-sides kick call was clear - but I’m glad they spotted it. I will say, Hawaii’s line was allowed to hold much of the night. On one play where Taylor knocked down a pass, the replay showed him raising his arms because he was enveloped by a lineman’s bear hug.

Anyone hear about how Taylor is after getting banged up? Also, any status on Daeveon Davis? We had several defenders out for this game who seemingly could help…
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

VUaskew wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:07 pm I've been watching BJ Anderson not cover anybody for 5 years now. I suspect he gets replaced soon.
There will be competition for the cornerback spots all season, I suspect, but don't give up on Anderson. He is definitely the most experienced corner Vandy has, and is probably the best. He plays very physical. And he has battled through injury and stayed in school to get back on the field one last time.

Anderson's cousin from Andalusia Allan George had what most considered a so-so four-year career as a VU CB, but guess what? He collected a paycheck last year from the Bengals.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

I was not thrilled with our secondary - they obviously got torched. But some of this was scheme.

For much of the game, we were showing blitz but giving 9 yard cushions. Under these circumstances, you are giving an astute qb the only pass he can make - a quick wide open pass before the blitz gets there. Hawaii’s qb was talented and he took what was there.

I’m not saying all our cbs played great - but some of the criticism should be directed to scheme. A couple of the deep balls were fairly well covered but great throws. A couple of all out blitzes laid eggs (and again o-line holding was not called all game.)

Defensively I’d like to see us not telegraph what is coming quite so much. Show blitz and drop into coverage. Show coverage, bring blitz. We were telegraphing and Hawaii was reading the signals. I suspect Hawaii’s offense will show out to be pretty good. Still, the passing yards stat was not encouraging.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

As for waking up 1-0, remember there are 2 worse scenarios: (1) waking up 0-1, and (2) not waking up. So we came out OK given the alternatives.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

To further the astute Roanoke’s point, showing blitz with a 9ish yard cushion may be about the worst way to try defend the run-and-shoot. A well executed R&S can be hard to stop regardless unless the defenses has superior talent - and our talent advantage appeared small except for Mr. Wright. IMO, the inability to run the ball is more concerning than the defense. We may be on our 2nd or 3rd QB before October if defenses can come after our QB with no concern for a running game.

To end on a more positive note, one thing I’ve learned from many years of watching FB is that first game appearances can be very misleading. And as others have already stated, we managed to steal a win despite being outplayed and out coached.
Locked Previous topicNext topic