Ten observations on Vandy’s 35-28 WIN over Hawaii

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Ten observations on Vandy’s 35-28 WIN over Hawaii

Post by BrentVU »

1. The season started with a bit of Déjà VU… (sigh) a lightning delay. Star Walk got canceled. Fans, who had already arrived early due to all the construction chaos, were forced to take refuge before the game and huddle together, before being allowed to find their seats, in the rain. (Sigh) Let’s face it… sometimes being a college football fan is hard work! But the temperature at game time was mercifully about 8-10 degrees cooler than it otherwise would have been. Hawaii had numerous cramp issues, but Vandy didn’t.
2. Vandy’s kickoff man, walk-on Will Faris, left a number of kickoffs well short of the goal line; four of his six kickoffs were returned… something that rarely happens anymore… and Hawaii was able to start all four of those drives past its own 25.
3. A.J. Swann, though now a sophomore, played a lot like a freshman. In the first half he completed ten straight passes, but after those sacks occurred, his accuracy went down. He failed to see the open man a few times; he had one pass in particular that for all the world should have been a pick-six; and other times he threw bullets that the receivers couldn’t field. So much of this offense is built around Swann and the RPO; the play-call depends on what Swann sees at the line of scrimmage. The slant to Sheppard and McGowan can be a deadly weapon, but Swann still has a lot of growing up to do. Last year as a starter he was 1-5. The potential for growth is definitely there, though. You saw the potential on that “throwaway” touchdown to London Humphreys.
4. “The game will be won or lost on the perimeter,” said Lea at halftime; and indeed, the game was almost lost there. As I pointed out last week, in his three recruiting classes to date Lea has been successful in recruiting SEC-level players at almost every position except cornerback. Hawaii sensed its best chance to beat Vandy was to let their QB take “shots”, and it was painful to see so many of them succeed.
5. The offensive line, thought to be a strength of the team, allowed three sacks, all in the second quarter (and Swann, who has struggled with concussions, was looking a little woozy at halftime). The line buckled down a bit after that, but as many have noted, the running game was just about non-existent. When it needed to chew up clock in the fourth quarter, the offense could not. Ray Davis will be missed; it now seems assured. It looks like Chase Gillespie will be the go-to guy when they need to run between the tackles, but the ‘Bows snuffed that out big-time.
6. Clark Lea let holder Matt Hayball go for two after the first touchdown of the season… I like it! We’re taking no quarter. But the try failed because of defensive penetration. Later Lea would go for it on fourth downs three times and only make one of them. I don’t know which is more worrisome… that the offense doesn’t seem capable of converting a fourth-and-short… or that Lea may not be confident enough in either kicker yet to try a field goal. (?) Knowing Lea, however, maybe it’s nothing more than a data-driven decision.
7. The throwaway TD to Humphreys put Vandy up 35-14, and fans immediately convinced themselves that the game was over. (The players, who had beaten the ‘Bows 63-10 last season, may have thought the same thing.) But Hawaii had made significant improvement and came roaring back. In retrospect, UH was inches away in two reviewed plays from possibly winning the game… a fumble recovery for TD (that review showed was a half-yard short)… and an onsides kick that went to VU ONLY because the UH player had the tip of his elbow out of bounds. Shudder!
8. Things that Vandy can improve on: procedure penalties when trying to run the hurry-up; unsportsmanlike conduct penalties; Swann’s decision-making; etc. Things they may NOT be able to improve too much on: cornerback play; run-blocking; placekicking.
9. Seven players from the 2023 recruiting class saw action, as did transfers Aeneas DiCosmo and Jason Borcila. Only surprise in the starting lineup: Yilanan Ouattara on the DL. Player whose performance most surprised me: TE Logan Kyle. Injured player we most hope will return soon: Darren Agu.
10. The complaint of most fans I’ve seen boils down to the fact that Vandy didn’t put it completely away until very late. OK, I get it. Me, I’d much rather be discussing a disappointing win than a loss where the team looked good.

bornadore57
Lieutenant

Re: Ten observations on Vandy’s 35-28 WIN over Hawaii

Post by bornadore57 »

Hopefully, Vandy learned much more about itself in last night's season-opening win than it did in last year's season-opening blowout. Hopefully, this close win pays dividends - quickly. As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts, Brent.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

BrentVU wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:29 pm 1. The season started with a bit of Déjà VU… (sigh) a lightning delay. Star Walk got canceled. Fans, who had already arrived early due to all the construction chaos, were forced to take refuge before the game and huddle together, before being allowed to find their seats, in the rain. (Sigh) Let’s face it… sometimes being a college football fan is hard work! But the temperature at game time was mercifully about 8-10 degrees cooler than it otherwise would have been. Hawaii had numerous cramp issues, but Vandy didn’t.
2. Vandy’s kickoff man, walk-on Will Faris, left a number of kickoffs well short of the goal line; four of his six kickoffs were returned… something that rarely happens anymore… and Hawaii was able to start all four of those drives past its own 25.
3. A.J. Swann, though now a sophomore, played a lot like a freshman. In the first half he completed ten straight passes, but after those sacks occurred, his accuracy went down. He failed to see the open man a few times; he had one pass in particular that for all the world should have been a pick-six; and other times he threw bullets that the receivers couldn’t field. So much of this offense is built around Swann and the RPO; the play-call depends on what Swann sees at the line of scrimmage. The slant to Sheppard and McGowan can be a deadly weapon, but Swann still has a lot of growing up to do. Last year as a starter he was 1-5. The potential for growth is definitely there, though. You saw the potential on that “throwaway” touchdown to London Humphreys.
4. “The game will be won or lost on the perimeter,” said Lea at halftime; and indeed, the game was almost lost there. As I pointed out last week, in his three recruiting classes to date Lea has been successful in recruiting SEC-level players at almost every position except cornerback. Hawaii sensed its best chance to beat Vandy was to let their QB take “shots”, and it was painful to see so many of them succeed.
5. The offensive line, thought to be a strength of the team, allowed three sacks, all in the second quarter (and Swann, who has struggled with concussions, was looking a little woozy at halftime). The line buckled down a bit after that, but as many have noted, the running game was just about non-existent. When it needed to chew up clock in the fourth quarter, the offense could not. Ray Davis will be missed; it now seems assured. It looks like Chase Gillespie will be the go-to guy when they need to run between the tackles, but the ‘Bows snuffed that out big-time.
6. Clark Lea let holder Matt Hayball go for two after the first touchdown of the season… I like it! We’re taking no quarter. But the try failed because of defensive penetration. Later Lea would go for it on fourth downs three times and only make one of them. I don’t know which is more worrisome… that the offense doesn’t seem capable of converting a fourth-and-short… or that Lea may not be confident enough in either kicker yet to try a field goal. (?) Knowing Lea, however, maybe it’s nothing more than a data-driven decision.
7. The throwaway TD to Humphreys put Vandy up 35-14, and fans immediately convinced themselves that the game was over. (The players, who had beaten the ‘Bows 63-10 last season, may have thought the same thing.) But Hawaii had made significant improvement and came roaring back. In retrospect, UH was inches away in two reviewed plays from possibly winning the game… a fumble recovery for TD (that review showed was a half-yard short)… and an onsides kick that went to VU ONLY because the UH player had the tip of his elbow out of bounds. Shudder!
8. Things that Vandy can improve on: procedure penalties when trying to run the hurry-up; unsportsmanlike conduct penalties; Swann’s decision-making; etc. Things they may NOT be able to improve too much on: cornerback play; run-blocking; placekicking.
9. Seven players from the 2023 recruiting class saw action, as did transfers Aeneas DiCosmo and Jason Borcila. Only surprise in the starting lineup: Yilanan Ouattara on the DL. Player whose performance most surprised me: TE Logan Kyle. Injured player we most hope will return soon: Darren Agu.
10. The complaint of most fans I’ve seen boils down to the fact that Vandy didn’t put it completely away until very late. OK, I get it. Me, I’d much rather be discussing a disappointing win than a loss where the team looked good.
Go back and look at the onsides kick. The Hawaii player STEPPED OUT OF BOUMDS before falling on the ball. That alone should have made him ineligible to recover the fumble. The ref never said it was his elbow, only the announcer (who also never looked at the foot).
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

Two things that only a diehard Dores fan would think of (1)Our guys could not get over how bad we beat these guys last year.(2) We started this off with Smith running an easy score. This all made us think that this was going to be a laugher.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

I never thought it was going to be a laugher. Hawaii made steady progress last season after being blown out in the opener, and they were clearly a much-improved football team. Trailing 35-14 in the fourth quarter, they were still playing to win the game and almost pulled it off. They had a few leg cramps, but they definitely didn't wilt in the heat and humidity.

Vandy didn't look like an SEC contender or a bowl team, but then again "our worst was better than their best."
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

commadore wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:16 pm
Go back and look at the onsides kick. The Hawaii player STEPPED OUT OF BOUMDS before falling on the ball. That alone should have made him ineligible to recover the fumble. The ref never said it was his elbow, only the announcer (who also never looked at the foot).
I was wondering about that. Isn't a player allowed to go on the apron and then get back in the play, making the relevant consideration whether he was out of bounds when he recovered (which he was)?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Johnmn555 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:21 pm
I was wondering about that. Isn't a player allowed to go on the apron and then get back in the play, making the relevant consideration whether he was out of bounds when he recovered (which he was)?
I know a receiver is out of the play if he goes out of bounds, unless he is forced out. Seems it would be the same for a defensive player, or a kick team player.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I found this from an ask about college football site:
Question: In college football if a defensive player goes out of bounds can he come back onto the field of play and make a tackle ?

Answer: Yes.
NCAA: The only 2 restrictions about players going out of bounds and returning are:
1) A kicking team player may not voluntarily go out of bounds and return. 5yd penaty from previous spot.
2) An eligible offensive receiver may not voluntarily go out of bounds and return and be the first to touch a legal forward pass. Loss of down at the previous spot.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

commadore wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:20 pm
Johnmn555 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:21 pm
I know a receiver is out of the play if he goes out of bounds, unless he is forced out. Seems it would be the same for a defensive player, or a kick team player.
It wasn't illegal touching because the UH player who went out of bounds wasn't the first player to touch the kick. Our upback had already muffed the kick, so it was anyone's ball. Had his elbow not been out of bounds, we would have been in a world of hurt.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

BrentVU wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:29 pm I don’t know which is more worrisome… that the offense doesn’t seem capable of converting a fourth-and-short… or that Lea may not be confident enough in either kicker yet to try a field goal. (?) Knowing Lea, however, maybe it’s nothing more than a data-driven decision.
Lea explained this on the coaches' show, and now I feel better. As I suspected, it's a data-driven calculus. As I understand it, they had done the math and weren't going to kick a field goal unless the fourth down was inside the opponents' 30-yard-line... and even then, it might be a game-time decision that Lea could still override. The field was wet, adding a bit to the uncertainty of sending the field goal kicker out there.

What this says to me was that Lea was uncomfortable kicking a field goal from further than 47 yards... which is very reasonable, considering there were wet conditions, and that neither kicker was a proven commodity.

Vandy ended up 1-for-3 on fourth-down conversions:
- In the second quarter, up 21-14, Vandy had a 4th-and-1 at the Rainbow Warriors' 32. A handoff went to Patrick Smith, and he was swarmed for a loss.
- Early in the fourth quarter, up 28-14, Vandy had a 4th-and-7 at the UH 32 and went for it. Swann altered the snap count and tried to draw UH offside, and he did. On the "free play", Swann threw long downfield for London Humphreys... touchdown.
- In the fourth quarter, up 35-21, Vandy had a 4th-and-4 at the UH 33. (I thought a field goal attempt was in order here; but see the calculus above.) A downfield pass to Jayden McGowan went incomplete; McGowan was well-covered. Hawaii took it 67 yards and scored, cutting the lead to 7.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

One final belated thought on Vanderbilt-Hawaii, no charge:
11. Coach Lea began his postgame press conference by recognizing the team's nutritionist... which seemed a bit odd at the time. But in a game that went down to the last two minutes and the last possession, it was Hawaii who had issues with cramps, and Vanderbilt seemed to completely avoid them. Vanderbilt had begun a hydration regimen with all the players starting 48 hours before game time. (What if De'Rickey Wright had been out with a cramp on that final UH possession?) Lea talked at Media Days about VU's margins being small, and maybe it shouldn't have been this way, but against UH it turned out they were. Little things are important. It seems important to me to note that on a hot, muggy August night in Nashville, attention had been paid to this seemingly small detail.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

That is a very good point.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

And the nutrtionust just gave birth to a baby - si lots to celebrate
Locked Previous topicNext topic