I wish I could be as optimistic as the fans predicting 9 or 10 Ws this season

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

I wish I could be as optimistic as the fans predicting 9 or 10 Ws this season

Post by Go Vandy! »

I really do. It’s just when you’ve followed this team for 40-50 years, it’s just not possible. My prediction was 5-7, which is looking optimistic at the moment. I objectively thought 3-9.
The UK and UF games last year were reason for celebration for all the broken negative streaks. But SC & UT should have tempered expectations a little.
I hope CCL succeeds beyond all our expectations, and retires the greatest Vandy coach of all time. And I hope no one (1) accuses those of us who don’t predict New Years’ bowl-level records of not being true Vandy fans. Or (2) tries to explain them all away like most Vandy fans do for 2011-13.

commadore
Admiral

Re: I wish I could be as optimistic as the fans predicting 9 or 10 Ws this season

Post by commadore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:19 pm I really do. It’s just when you’ve followed this team for 40-50 years, it’s just not possible. My prediction was 5-7, which is looking optimistic at the moment. I objectively thought 3-9.
The UK and UF games last year were reason for celebration for all the broken negative streaks. But SC & UT should have tempered expectations a little.
I hope CCL succeeds beyond all our expectations, and retires the greatest Vandy coach of all time. And I hope no one (1) accuses those of us who don’t predict New Years’ bowl-level records of not being true Vandy fans. Or (2) tries to explain them all away like most Vandy fans do for 2011-13.
Just the opposite for me. I think 2011-13 proved that it CAN be done. Just need the right coach and one that won't bolt as soon as he has success (instead of lying and saying he wanted to be buried beneath the star V).
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Re: I wish I could be as optimistic as the fans predicting 9 or 10 Ws this season

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Who predicted 9-10 wins? I don’t recall reading that prediction. I know Brent said 7 and admitted it was a bold prediction. Not sure if he would stick to that now or not.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

I also boldly predicted 7 wins. I really wanted to say 6 but I was trying to be adventurous and optimistic. What can I say? It was the first game of the season, with delays and an expectation to dominate we definitely did not show out like I had hoped. Looking forward to another game next week were we should dominate and get things back on track. As of today, we are 1-0 and I will take it. One week at a time. Let's see if CCL makes some adjustments and gets this team rolling like we hoped.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

We did look awful. But how many times have we plopped the season straight in the Commode by losing the first game outright? ETSU 2021, WKU 2015, Temple 2014...had we lost we'd be cancelling our SlingTV subscriptions.

I am warming up to 1-0. A loss probably kills the season. A win against teams where we are favored means surviving to the next week of improvement.
Locked Previous topicNext topic