Strange time to be playing a football game against Hawaii

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Strange time to be playing a football game against Hawaii

Post by historybill »

► Show Spoiler
... only a few weeks after the worst thing that's befallen that state since before it became a state, I suppose.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Strange time to be playing a football game against Hawaii

Post by BrentVU »

As I understand it, the fires are on the island of Maui, and the university (which is on Oahu) has not been affected. However, the Lahaina Civic Center, where the basketball Dores have played several times in the Maui Classic, was very much in jeopardy at last report.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-ba ... 0of%20Maui.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

You might remember that Vandy played South Carolina right after a catastrophic flood wrecked Columbia in 2015.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

My wife and I went to Maui both of the last two times we played in the Maui Invitational. Wonderful and beautiful area, with very nice people and a romantic atmosphere. It breaks my heart to see the town devastated like this. The huge banyan tree, the old time drugstore bar with the best chocolate shake (by far) I have ever had, the luau we attended both times, the high end basketball games in a 2,500 seat gym, the art galleries, and the wonderful people who smile and treat you like a long lost relative make it a special place. While it will never be the same, I pray they will be able to rebuild and get the island back to its former glory.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

BrentVU wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:46 pm As I understand it, the fires are on the island of Maui, and the university (which is on Oahu) has not been affected. However, the Lahaina Civic Center, where the basketball Dores have played several times in the Maui Classic, was very much in jeopardy at last report.

This is correct - I grew on Maui and until 2018 my parents lived there. They moved the Maui Classic to the Lahina Civic Center during the late 80's, as prior to that it was played in Kahului/Wailuku (I remember the 1986/1987 Vanderbilt team practicing in my HS gym during my freshman PE class). The LCC is a bit aways from the town of Lahina, which is why it survived, but it would be difficult to have the tournament there this year.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Jason94 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:24 am
BrentVU wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:46 pm As I understand it, the fires are on the island of Maui, and the university (which is on Oahu) has not been affected. However, the Lahaina Civic Center, where the basketball Dores have played several times in the Maui Classic, was very much in jeopardy at last report.

This is correct - I grew on Maui and until 2018 my parents lived there. They moved the Maui Classic to the Lahina Civic Center during the late 80's, as prior to that it was played in Kahului/Wailuku (I remember the 1986/1987 Vanderbilt team practicing in my HS gym during my freshman PE class). The LCC is a bit aways from the town of Lahina, which is why it survived, but it would be difficult to have the tournament there this year.
My prayers to all who are residents of the island. I visited Maui in 2019 and absolutely fell in love with it. I am so saddened by what's happened there.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:40 am
Jason94 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:24 am

My prayers to all who are residents of the island. I visited Maui in 2019 and absolutely fell in love with it. I am so saddened by what's happened there.
I think it would be good and proper for Vanderbilt to recognize this loss during or before the Vanderbilt-Hawai'i game. It is a horrific tragedy that those of us on the mainland can hardly conceive of.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

If you haven't given, please consider doing so. The second link above gives some good options. I gave to the Maui United Way.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Good news here:
Locked Previous topicNext topic