SaturdayBlitz.com writer's Vandy preview, prediction

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

SaturdayBlitz.com writer's Vandy preview, prediction

Post by BrentVU »

A fairly well-informed look at the season ahead...

Saturday Blitz: Can Clark Lea lead Vanderbilt Football to a bowl game in 2023?
(by Dante Pryor)

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: SaturdayBlitz.com writer's Vandy preview, prediction

Post by Seadog73 »

As you said Brent, "a fairly well informed look." My biggest disagreement is with the results. I can see VU beating Kentucky and Florida again, and/or getting Mizzou and maybe Auburn (even though I think Freeze will have them better than expected). Of course, I am also assume we have no season ending injuries to any key players
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Seadog73 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:44 am As you said Brent, "a fairly well informed look." My biggest disagreement is with the results. I can see VU beating Kentucky and Florida again, and/or getting Mizzou and maybe Auburn (even though I think Freeze will have them better than expected). Of course, I am also assume we have no season ending injuries to any key players
Bottom line is, despite what happened with UK and UF last season, nobody around the conference sees Vandy finishing anywhere in the SEC East except seventh, or at best edging out Missouri for sixth.

(Except perhaps the morons at SEC Media Days making a mockery of the voting system.)
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Statistics and probabilities obviously are not his strong suit.
He's predicting Vanderbilt to go 0-3 in 50-50 games.

Realistically I think VU are preseason underdogs against USCe, KY, FL, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Missouri. Not prohibitive underdogs, but underdogs.
All of these teams fan bases expect to be better this year, and all have at least some basis in reality for that belief. But the likelihood is that one or two of them turn out not to be as good as expected.
Being Vanderbilt and never having much margin for error, we will probably have at least one of these games where things go wrong and it gets out of hand.
There could be up to two of them where things fall our way, or the other team isn't as good as expected, and we win a couple.
It is also not implausible that VU could lose to Wake again.

AlA&M, UNLV, Hawaii, UGA, and UT are the only games I feel would be shocking to go other than expected.

Probable ceiling 6 wins probable floor 4 wins.
7 or 3 would not be so shocking as to upend all my existing beliefs. Possible but not probable.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

I don't see Daevion Davis mentioned much lately. At one time, he was considered to be a leader on defense. Then, an injury. Any word on how he is doing?
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

bornadore57 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:10 pm I don't see Daevion Davis mentioned much lately. At one time, he was considered to be a leader on defense. Then, an injury. Any word on how he is doing?
Last I heard he was healthy and rarin' to go.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

There is a video interview of him (Davis) in one of the post-practice media availability sessions. Should be available on You Tube ad the VU website.
Locked Previous topicNext topic