Pete Thamel: Sources: Rice targeting VU Asst. AD Tommy McClelland for AD; deal appears close to done

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Pete Thamel: Sources: Rice targeting VU Asst. AD Tommy McClelland for AD; deal appears close to done

Post by BrentVU »

McClelland has spearheaded the "Vandy United" campaign, but he is now probably headed to Rice, according to Pete Thamel...

The deal is expected to be finalized in the upcoming days, sources said.

McClelland would join Rice with significant experience in helping to fundraise and build facilities at a high-end academic school. He has nearly 13 years of experience as a Division I athletic director. Rice is seeking to be more competitive athletically under new president Reginald DesRoches, who previously served as the faculty athletics representative at Georgia Tech.

ESPN.com: Sources: Rice targeting Tommy McClelland to be new AD
(by Pete Thamel)

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pete Thamel: Sources: Rice targeting VU Asst. AD Tommy McClelland for AD; deal appears close to done

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Big loss IMHO. It's helped immeasurably to have someone with AD experience alongside Candice Lee during her tenure and during the Vandy United campaign. I hope they fill the position with someone who will contribute just as much to fundraising and revenue generation.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Re: Pete Thamel: Sources: Rice targeting VU Asst. AD Tommy McClelland for AD; deal appears close to done

Post by DS2001 »

Chancellor Diermeir personally hired Tommy. I wish Rice would have gone after Candice Lee instead.
Do you think Candice will ever be an AD At another University?
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

DS2001 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:56 pm Chancellor Diermeir personally hired Tommy. I wish Rice would have gone after Candice Lee instead.

Wow,
That statement is quite harsh. My understanding is that you are saying you wish that Candice Lee were gone. I completely disagree. I think she is doing a great job as Vandy AD. Probably she is smarter than most posters on this board. After all, she has 3 degrees from Vandy, including a PhD. She is loyal to our University, I hope she stays a long time as AD at Vandy.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I can't think of one thing she's done that's even been questionable.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

LawoftheWest wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:30 am
DS2001 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:56 pm Chancellor Diermeir personally hired Tommy. I wish Rice would have gone after Candice Lee instead.

Wow,
That statement is quite harsh. My understanding is that you are saying you wish that Candice Lee were gone. I completely disagree. I think she is doing a great job as Vandy AD. Probably she is smarter than most posters on this board. After all, she has 3 degrees from Vandy, including a PhD. She is loyal to our University, I hope she stays a long time as AD at Vandy.
I want both of them to stay, but McClellan is making it rain in a way that is unprecedented for Vanderbilt. If he leaves, I hope Candace learned something from him because she never got those lessons from her mentor.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Vanderbilt is lucky to have Candice Lee.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I admit that I thought McClelland was hired as a potential replacement for Lee as though the administration thought she would fail. That may have been the case, but she did not fail. Lee has done a fine job and there is no reason to speculate whether another university would hire her because VU is her home.

It’s obvious that McClelland has been a key part of the athletic department as well, but I was surprised at the depth of the department.

TWENTY-SIX staff members on the directory are listed as some version of “Athletic Director”: Deputy, Senior Associate, Associate or Assistant. Gone are the days when you would call the AD office and Clay Stapleton would answer the phone.

I thought Stackhouse had a large staff.

https://vucommodores.com/staff-directory/
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

buffy wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:54 am I can't think of one thing she's done that's even been questionable.
The new logo. Which I haven’t come around on at all.

Aside from that, I fully agree. ADCSL has done an excellent job and our athletic programs are in good hands with her in charge.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

The new logo is a university-wide initiative. Some universities use the same logo for the institution and their sports teams; some don't.

And I notice, in some of the after-practice videos Brent has posted, that some of the coaches' gear has a Star V logo with the new wider V. I see some merchandise on sale to the public with that same Star V logo the coaches are wearing. I think that's a good compromise.

PS: Rice announced its hiring of McClelland yesterday. He will start there Aug. 14
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I always like having lots of talent around. McClelland with his experience was a big get at the time. I don't see any reason to attribute VandyUnited to him instead of AD Lee though. Perhaps I may have missed something.
Locked Previous topicNext topic