The battle for starting placekicker could get interesting

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

The battle for starting placekicker could get interesting

Post by BrentVU »

Vandy lost Joseph Bulovas from last year's team, who was a bit streaky with his field goals. Like the team, he started out strong in 2022, but like the team, as the competition got tougher, he lost his cool and went on a streak of misses.

As I count them, there are FIVE placekickers on the roster. The only one on scholarship, I think, is Brock Taylor from Knoxville... and I'm sure they'd like him to be THE GUY. But he's just now adjusting to the college grind, there are four others for whom this is not all new...

Will Faris, Junior - was Bulovas' backup the last two years; did one kickoff and one PAT in 2022 (in garbage time vs. Hawaii)

Jacob Lurie, Senior - this is his second year with the team, but he has never kicked in a game; had two years kicking for Case Western before that

Jacob Borcila, Grad Transfer - This guy has four years of experience as a scholarship kicker for Kansas, the last three of which he was the primary kicker. Only missed one PAT out of 88 in those four years; on field goals, he was 22-of-38 for a 58% average. He once made a 50-yarder. So he has kicked at the highest level for three straight seasons. This is his last year of eligibility.

Mason Rohmiller, Sophomore - Surprise! A late addition to the roster; a sophomore walk-on who played in high school at Cincinnati-St. Xavier, where he was almost automatic. Here's a story on him.

The coaches are looking for consistency in practice. I think this is going to get very interesting, and we probably won't know who has won the job until the first PAT/FG attempt in the Hawai'i game. Barton Simmons through his walk-on program has given Coach Lustig lots of options to choose from. I think my money might be on Borcila right now, but the battle will certainly be worth watching.

bernstml19
Lieutenant

Re: The battle for starting placekicker could get interesting

Post by bernstml19 »

The title and this post reflects the true spirit of vanderbilt football. It should be pinned and locked.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

bernstml19 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:15 am The title and this post reflects the true spirit of vanderbilt football. It should be pinned and locked.
:?:

Don’t understand. Is it because we usually don’t have all-conference offensive and defensive players that Vanderbilt fans are excited by Special Teamers?

Sounds like this story from days gone by:

“The 1979 Dodgers finished with a losing record, but pinch hitter Manny Mota batted .353. Will Vic Davalillo claim that pivotal role in 1980?”
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Versus75 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:35 pm
bernstml19 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:15 am The title and this post reflects the true spirit of vanderbilt football. It should be pinned and locked.
:?:

Don’t understand. Is it because we usually don’t have all-conference offensive and defensive players that Vanderbilt fans are excited by Special Teamers?

Sounds like this story from days gone by:

“The 1979 Dodgers finished with a losing record, but pinch hitter Manny Mota batted .353. Will Vic Davalillo claim that pivotal role in 1980?”
Maybe it's because the premise of the opening post is that the extra point and field goal opportunities this season will be so numerous, the placekicker will be a very important role.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Locked Previous topicNext topic