Typical UT fans: setting themselves up for disappointment again

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

Typical UT fans: setting themselves up for disappointment again

Post by Golddore68 »

UT fans are talking about quarterback Joe Milton like he’s the next coming of Peyton Manning or Hendon Hooker.

They’re claiming he’s the best quarterback in the SEC and will be All-SEC First Team this year.

He has a strong arm and can throw a football 99 yards downfield. UT fans are raving about how great he’s going to be since he’s so strong.

But that’s not necessarily a good thing for quarterbacks. He’s going to be throwing bullets at his receivers when a soft touch would be the best option. His passes will be too hot to handle.

Look at his numbers, they’re not terribly impressive. He hasn’t set the world on fire in college. He couldn’t win the starting job at quarterback at Michigan, and as the starter at UT two years ago he couldn’t beat Pitt and lost the starting job to Hooker.

So all of a sudden he’s going to be All-SEC? I don’t see it.

I could be wrong but I think they’re expecting way too much.

Labradore
Lieutenant

Re: Typical UT fans: setting themselves up for disappointment again

Post by Labradore »

I’m with you… the fact that he couldn’t win the starting job at Michigan and then also sat behind Hooker makes any suggestions that he’s anything other than an average sec starting quarterback sound a little suspicious. Maybe he will be great? He has the physical tools… but he had all those same tools every year he has been in college and couldn’t even get on the field.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Two words: decision-making, and accuracy. He may have a cannon for an arm, but that doesn't nullify those two words.

As usual, UT fans are being delusional. Give them one really good season and now they think they are a perennial power. My prediction for them is that they win 7-9 games this year. 9-3 is their absolute ceiling. They don't have Hendon Hooker to bail them out this year. Although I'm sure they still have a good bondsman to bail them out, but that's another matter....
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Meanwhile, VU fans are just Wishin' and Hopin' to get to a bowl game -- ANY bowl game. SEC doesn't have a tie-in to Shreveport this year, so maybe a triumphant return to Birmingham, Alabama's Magic City!?

Definitely no delusion here.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

FayetteDore wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:39 am Meanwhile, VU fans are just Wishin' and Hopin' to get to a bowl game -- ANY bowl game. SEC doesn't have a tie-in to Shreveport this year, so maybe a triumphant return to Birmingham, Alabama's Magic City!?

Do you have any reason to exist other than just to be a pitiful troll every time UT gets mentioned? The hope of Vandy going to a bowl is realistic. The hope for UT become nationally relevant again is a dire need for your and most other fans' self-esteem. It ain't '98.

A fan confident in his program wouldn't need to be on an Vandy board acting like a little girl with a skinned knee every time UT's name comes up.

You scamper along, now...
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:02 am
FayetteDore wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:39 am Meanwhile, VU fans are just Wishin' and Hopin' to get to a bowl game -- ANY bowl game. SEC doesn't have a tie-in to Shreveport this year, so maybe a triumphant return to Birmingham, Alabama's Magic City!?

Do you have any reason to exist other than just to be a pitiful troll every time UT gets mentioned? The hope of Vandy going to a bowl is realistic. The hope for UT become nationally relevant again is a dire need for your and most other fans' self-esteem. It ain't '98.

A fan confident in his program wouldn't need to be on an Vandy board acting like a little girl with a skinned knee every time UT's name comes up.

Slither fits better than scamper
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Beat me to it. I was going to say that the prospect of VU making a bowl game this year is far from “delusional.” Realistic and attainable goal is far more likely. Likewise, very few fans will be ready to fire Lea if the team falls short of that goal this season.
UT being national title contenders on the other hand…hmmmmm.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

august (the talking month) is usually the highlight of the vols' season.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Hey, let's be nice, folks. Civil discussion only, no name-calling.
"Don't make me come back there..."
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

BrentVU wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:19 pm Hey, let's be nice, folks. Civil discussion only, no name-calling.
"Don't make me come back there..."
Deliberately and repetitively antagonizing message board participants, even without "name-calling," should also be discouraged.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

He's been doing it for years. It's his hill. Ignore him. Let him stand on it alone...
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

DeefromAtlanta wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:25 pm

He's been doing it for years. It's his hill. Ignore him. Let him stand on it alone...
The hilarious thing is, it's always the same few who respond. :cool: Including you -- coming in from a 2-month hiatus from posting specifically to ignore me. :lol: :D :roll:
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

FayetteDore wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:48 pm
DeefromAtlanta wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:25 pm

The hilarious thing is, it's always the same few who respond. :cool: Including you -- coming in from a 2-month hiatus from posting specifically to ignore me. :lol: :D :roll:
Okay Fayette, I’ll respond. This is low class on your part. You know damned well that we’re going to make fun of Tennessee on here. This is a Vanderbilt fan board and we have every right and intention to do so. Literally everyone else on this board despises Tennessee. If you can’t restrain yourself from knee jerk anti-Vanderbilt reactions in response, then you should be banned, long time poster or no.

Also, despite having the strongest arm I’ve ever seen, Joe Milton is easy to rattle and quite inaccurate. Tennessee is not going to be especially good.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

VU fan's honest take on Tennessee:
They have taken a major step forward from the Franklin and Shurmur eras, when VU pretty much owned them.
They have a solid claim to be in the upper middle class of the SEC.
But(chugger) they still have a lot to prove before they can claim to be an elite SEC team.
Last year, with maybe the best college QB in the land, they beat an off-year Alabama team in their own stadium by the skin of their teeth, then got crushed by a true elite team in UGA and a lower-mid-pack South Carolina team whose QB got hot for one Saturday.

Milton is at least a good college QB. He sure lit up Vandy last year, albeit, that was one of Vanderbilt's worst pass defense teams ever (which is saying a lot).
And he beat the whatstheirnames, who used to be quite good, in a bowl game where some of the better whatstheirname players sat out lest they injure themselves and fall lower in the draft.
But Milton has a lot to prove before he can claim to be Callgirl's replacement at QB, and he'll have to be that good if they're going to be the elite team Chugnation is already convinced they are. Even with Callgirl under center, the one elite team they played mopped the floor with them.

Which isn't to gloat. Vanderbilt has a lot of proving to do, just to get out of the SEC cellar.
UT has a similar amount of work to claim they are a top tier SEC team.
I think there is a better than even chance that the Chugnation fans confidently predicting they win the SEC East or get into the playoffs will have their Hope's crushed.
The 0.005% of Chugnation with some tenuous grasp on reality, who are happy to be in the upper quartile of the SEC, will probably enjoy this season.
Locked Previous topicNext topic