Fall camp starts this week; what position battle will you be watching?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Fall camp starts this week; what position battle will you be watching?

Post by BrentVU »

The Tennessean has a pretty good story this morning on the biggest position battles, and I think she pretty much nails it...

Tennessean: Five most intriguing position battles going into fall camp
(by Aria Gerson)

She didn't mention tight end, where there's a severe lack of depth (in contrast to last season), maybe because there may not be too much of a battle there... the "battle" will be to fill the position with a warm body(!).

So, question for the 'Maniacs... what will you be watching as fall camp opens? What do you think needs to happen between now and Aug. 26?

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Fall camp starts this week; what position battle will you be watching?

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Running back. This is an area with both limited returning experience and incoming freshmen. Is Patrick Smith the guy?
MtJulietVUFan
Ensign

Post by MtJulietVUFan »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:07 am Running back. This is an area with both limited returning experience and incoming freshmen. Is Patrick Smith the guy?
I'm envisioning a real RBBC approach with 3 guys. However, Alexander passes the eye test with flying colors. Watching him in the spring game, it was hard to believe he should've still been a high school senior. Runs hard, very physical, and looked really good in pass protection (which was honestly the most surprising thing as with any young player). I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's not the primary ball carrier before the season is over. I would love to see Patrick Smith succeed, but we still haven't seen anything on the field with him yet, and what little we have seen he really seems to struggle between the tackles.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

MtJulietVUFan wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:57 am
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:07 am Running back. This is an area with both limited returning experience and incoming freshmen. Is Patrick Smith the guy?
I'm envisioning a real RBBC approach with 3 guys. However, Alexander passes the eye test with flying colors. Watching him in the spring game, it was hard to believe he should've still been a high school senior. Runs hard, very physical, and looked really good in pass protection (which was honestly the most surprising thing as with any young player). I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's not the primary ball carrier before the season is over. I would love to see Patrick Smith succeed, but we still haven't seen anything on the field with him yet, and what little we have seen he really seems to struggle between the tackles.
The really good news though is that there are two other freshman guys coming in-- A.J. Newberry and Deago Benson-- who on paper look like they could tote the rock too. Sedrick Alexander got a jump on both of them by enrolling early, but RB is a position where you could theoretically insert a talented true freshman, and there will be three of those.

The downside of doing that is that they have to learn how to hang onto the football at this new level. Ray Davis rarely fumbled last season, one reason why he was so valuable.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Yes the battle for a starting primary RB will be most interesting. Also who will step in and be a functional TE....always the DL battles too!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I agree on the RB position. However, we are always weak, it seems, on the DL and the OL. Will be interested there as well.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Shortage of tight ends

Post by LawoftheWest »

BrentVU wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:14 am The Tennessean has a pretty good story this morning on the biggest position battles, and I think she pretty much nails it...

(by Aria Gerson)

She didn't mention tight end, where there's a severe lack of depth (in contrast to last season), maybe because there may not be too much of a battle there... the "battle" will be to fill the position with a warm body(!).

So, question for the 'Maniacs... what will you be watching as fall camp opens? What do you think needs to happen between now and Aug. 26?

With a "severe lack of tight ends", I wonder if the coaches will make a significant change in the offense. Less tight end dependent. Any thoughts or insight or comments by the coaches?
commadore
Admiral

Re: Shortage of tight ends

Post by commadore »

LawoftheWest wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:25 pm
BrentVU wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:14 am The Tennessean has a pretty good story this morning on the biggest position battles, and I think she pretty much nails it...

(by Aria Gerson)

With a "severe lack of tight ends", I wonder if the coaches will make a significant change in the offense. Less tight end dependent. Any thoughts or insight or comments by the coaches?
The way our coaches (not these) have done in the past, this would mean they would target the TE about 90 times this year.
MtJulietVUFan
Ensign

Post by MtJulietVUFan »

commadore wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:56 pm

(by Aria Gerson)

The way our coaches (not these) have done in the past, this would mean they would target the TE about 90 times this year.
Here are some numbers that will blow your mind - since Pinkney's Junior year (when he was virtually invisible his Senior year), if you average the stats across those 4 years, the team average per season for ALL TE's 2019-2022 is 25 catches for 287 yards per year. I knew it was low, but that's just absurd.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MtJulietVUFan wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:22 am
commadore wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:56 pm

Here are some numbers that will blow your mind - since Pinkney's Junior year (when he was virtually invisible his Senior year), if you average the stats across those 4 years, the team average per season for ALL TE's 2019-2022 is 25 catches for 287 yards per year. I knew it was low, but that's just absurd.
I know. What I meant is it seems we run and pass to our weakness. Strong armed but inaccurate QB, throw the bomb every other series. Weak line, run it up the middle. We used to say our offense was up the middle up the middle throw the bomb and punt. Had other options to gain yards, but never used them. Maybe that is changing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic