Clark Lea signs contract extension

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Clark Lea signs contract extension

Post by BrentVU »

VU Athletics Press Release:

Entering his third season at the helm of his alma mater, Vanderbilt football coach Clark Lea has signed a contract extension to remain in his native Nashville. Athletics director Candice Storey Lee announced the extension on Monday.

“I’m thrilled with our football program’s development on and off of the field under Clark Lea’s leadership,” Lee said. “He is relentless in his commitment to build a foundation that yields sustainable success. He approaches each day with the pride of an alumnus who personally understands the opportunity that lies before us, and the determination of a coach and leader who has the vision to fulfill it. Coach Lea shares our desire to be great at everything we do. I’m excited to see what comes next for this program and gratified Coach Lea will continue leading the way.”

Lea expressed his gratitude for the shared vision with Lee and Vanderbilt Chancellor Daniel Diermeier.

Vanderbilt is home, it is such an honor for me to lead our football program,” Lea said. “The only way that we accomplish the mission we have set forth for Vanderbilt Football is with the vision and support from Chancellor Diermeier and Candice Lee. To have them acknowledge the progress we’ve made to this point, and to commit to seeing us push further on our journey means everything to me. Like everyone who is a part of our team, I will work to earn it every day, and recognize the great responsibility I have with the incredible opportunity and support I’ve been given. I also want to thank the members of our program, both student-athletes and staff. Their hard work and sacrifice is what allows for progress in our quest to build a program that makes all of Vanderbilt and Nashville proud.”

https://vucommodores.com/staying-home-l ... l&RDAT=958

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Clark Lea signs contract extension

Post by BrentVU »

There are no details on how many years his contract has been extended, nor (of course) any financial details. But it does demonstrate a commitment by the administration to Lea and the football program, and hopefully, it protects against potential poaching programs who might want to come after Lea if he has the kind of third season we all hope he will.
Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Clark Lea gets contract extension

Post by Nashmann »

What was his initial contract and how many years have been added this time? Does anyone know?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Clark Lea gets contract extension

Post by BrentVU »

Nashmann wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:39 am What was his initial contract and how many years have been added this time? Does anyone know?
The terms of all Vandy coaches' contracts are generally closely guarded secrets... although the Tennessean did report recently that Lea made about $3 million in 2021, his first year at Vandy, based on tax records they obtained.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I really like the coach and his staff. I really, really wish them much success. (in answer to the remuneration question, i'm sure he's paid too much, goes with the territory these days.)
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Some media reports indicate it's a three-year extension through 2029.

[tweet][/tweet]
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:32 pm Some media reports indicate it's a three-year extension through 2029.

[tweet][/tweet]
In fairness to the staff, the job that was taken on was probably a ten year turnaround. This extension gets Coach Lea through the nine year mark. I don't see the need for a coach to have a contract for the next seven years, but it seems to be within two standard deviations of the mean in today's landscape.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

So he already apparently was under contract for four more seasons, and now they are extending him three more. Is that really necessary? Did we learn anything from extending Derek Mason only to have things go South as soon as we did? Everyone is happy with him now, but this board will be on fire if we go 0-8 in the SEC and he's got six more years on his contract. The extension will probably make it more expensive for an elite program to buy out his contract should he become a hot commodity, but they can afford it, and it will also make it more expensive for us to get rid of him should things not turn out well. Whatever you may think, we don't have the seemingly infinite funds to do things like buy outs that elite state programs have.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:32 pm Some media reports indicate it's a three-year extension through 2029.

[tweet][/tweet]
Point 1: I remember a not-too-distant past when LOCAL news outlets had sources at the local program and the national outlets would cite the local outlet for finding the information. But more and more, it's the national outlets who come through with the information behind the press release.

Point 2: If one of the goals of a contract extension is to assure current players and future recruits that there's stability in the program and the coach recruiting them will be here through their playing days, why not announce how long the contract extension is for?
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Johnmn555 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:27 pm So he already apparently was under contract for four more seasons, and now they are extending him three more. Is that really necessary? Did we learn anything from extending Derek Mason only to have things go South as soon as we did? Everyone is happy with him now, but this board will be on fire if we go 0-8 in the SEC and he's got six more years on his contract. The extension will probably make it more expensive for an elite program to buy out his contract should he become a hot commodity, but they can afford it, and it will also make it more expensive for us to get rid of him should things not turn out well. Whatever you may think, we don't have the seemingly infinite funds to do things like buy outs that elite state programs have.
Agreed, does seem a bit unnecessary.
Locked Previous topicNext topic