Orlagh Gormley Receives Vandy Offer

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Orlagh Gormley Receives Vandy Offer

Post by MikeADore »

I had thought we might be through for the '24 cycle, at least in terms of new offers. But, I stumbled upon this one from a couple days ago. She's a 5'7 point guard who scores in bunches at times. She also got offers from Michigan and Penn State this week to go along with several others from earlier, including Marquette, Seton Hall and Harvard.

She sounds like a Vandy girl to me. Now, we just have to get her to realize that.

A pair of excellent articles from the Boston Herald that tell us a lot about her. I like the sound of it.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2022/03/05 ... -the-ages/

https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/04/04 ... onal-team/

VandyJim
Chief

Re: Orlagh Gormley Receives Vandy Offer

Post by VandyJim »

Mike
I have seen her play since she is in New England. Exudes confidence and poise on the floor. Quick crossover. Loves the runner.

I am surprised VU offered. She's small. Can't be more than 5'6" and doesn't have elite level speed and quickness like smaller SEC guards have. I'm not sold on her especially since I see what Ralph has brought in with the '23 recruits and portal players. Sorry for a less than stellar assessment.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

What happened to the Sue Smiths and Betsy Jones of the world? I'd be lucky to pronounce 1/2 the WBB team names. Just joking. We'll take anyone who can help. And barring another rash of injuries, i think this might be a pretty good season.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Not that it matters, but for curiosity's sake, when a player is "offered", does that offer come from the head coach or the AD or someone else? Is it written (a text or a letter or e-mail) or can it be verbal?
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

geeznotagain wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:54 pm Not that it matters, but for curiosity's sake, when a player is "offered", does that offer come from the head coach or the AD or someone else? Is it written (a text or a letter or e-mail) or can it be verbal?
Comes from the head coach with input from assistants. Usually, it's verbal and done by phone.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VandyJim wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:49 pm Mike
I have seen her play since she is in New England. Exudes confidence and poise on the floor. Quick crossover. Loves the runner.

I am surprised VU offered. She's small. Can't be more than 5'6" and doesn't have elite level speed and quickness like smaller SEC guards have. I'm not sold on her especially since I see what Ralph has brought in with the '23 recruits and portal players. Sorry for a less than stellar assessment.
I really don't know anything about her except what I learned today. I suspect we've missed on all our early guard targets for '24. There are only three guards left on the list, as far as we know, Shay Ijiwoye, Amari Berry and Avery Howell. Ijiwoye and Berry have not shown any public interest, and I think the staff has been in contact with Howell long enough to know where they stand. She racked up some big-time offers this week, but I'm trying to hold onto a tiny inkling of hope. It ain't easy.

The fact that Michigan also offered Gormley this week gives me some hope. Plus, it would be nice to beat them out on a recruit after they sneaked in and poached Olivia Olson not long after we offered her.

t0105

Any word on Ava Jaye's plans or Carroll's? The latter got an offer from Bama or Georgia this week. Can't remember which.
VandyJim
Chief

Post by VandyJim »

I'm actually coaching younger kids in AAU now -- first time in 25 years I'm not coaching high school kids. My daughter is a fourth grader so I'm not around the Jags elite high school showcase teams this AAU season, so my information is limited. I have not spoken to Ava Jaye or family directly, but have heard from someone close to them that unless an elite program offers, she'll probably stay in New England. As for Carroll, I have heard she is crushing it this AAU season and will receive many more quality offers by late July. I have no inclination where she is leaning.

As for Gormley, my friend at MCW loves her and thinks she will be successful wherever she goes. He also says she is killing it this summer. And as a sidebar, Gormley is becoming a legend here in high school girls basketball with her scoring -- though her point totals went down some when she transferred to a prep school. I value my friend's input, but I have seen her play and I am not as impressed as him. I just want to emphasize she is 5'6" but lacks elite speed and quickness. I just do not see her separating from SEC defenders.

I simply cannot wait for this season to start. My cup of enthusiasm and optimism runneth over. We are going to have some amazing posts/conversations this season about Vandy women's basketball. I see us with a rock solid 9 players in the rotation and the potential to win 16-17 games. This season is huge for Ralph and the future of her program.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VandyJim wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:36 pm I simply cannot wait for this season to start. My cup of enthusiasm and optimism runneth over. We are going to have some amazing posts/conversations this season about Vandy women's basketball. I see us with a rock solid 9 players in the rotation and the potential to win 16-17 games. This season is huge for Ralph and the future of her program.
I completely agree about the importance of this season for coach Ralph. I felt bad for her last year when that bizarre run of injuries robbed her of any chance to build program momentum, at least in terms of wins and losses. After what I feel was a very good first season considering where the program was and what could have happened, year two should have been a time to start reaping the rewards. Through no fault of her own, she was denied that opportunity.

Aside from being denied the chance to see her program flourish, I think last season definitely stalled any gains in recruiting. We know what she faced and what a good job she did dealing with it, but those 16-18-year-old kids who are being courted by the nation's elite programs couldn't care less why we were losing. They just know we were losing, and hooking up with a losing program won't get you very much love on instagram.

I've said it before: The rebuild starts this year, at least in terms of personnel. The first two years, except for culture building, were an exercise in perseverance for staff and especially for players. How much can you take? What's the breaking point? One starter lost for the season? Another? How about one more?

By the way, we did finally find the breaking point. After the loss of those three starters in pre-season, when Ciaja Harbison suffered a concussion we went to ETSU and lost then came home and lost to UT-Martin. Even that did't derail them for long. All that talk about culture apparently is a real thing. :mrgreen:

Like you, I'm fired up for the season. Impatient, too. I think it's fair to hold them to a higher standard this year, even though we do have to keep in mind how young they are with nine freshmen and sophomores on a 13-player roster. I think you mentioned recently that they have to learn how to win. That's huge. They've proven they will battle. They have to add some positive arrogance to their makeup now. No more "we'll battle you." Time for "we'll beat you." That would be a giant step forward.

AD*
VandyJim
Chief

Post by VandyJim »

Further thoughts ....
Ralph has brought in 7 new players, 2 through the portal who were highly rated on Hoopgurlz and 5 frosh who were also highly recruited. I look at these 7 as a major recruiting victory for Ralph and her program. It has been a while since Vandy has brought in a recruiting class as strong as this one. We return two starting guards from injury, add Washington, and add two sophomore guards who played a lot last season. Just stop and think about this group and how promising it is for success. I cannot contain myself at times. We are going to be fine in the SEC, and I predict we will have a major upset victory over an SEC elite on our home floor.
These young ladies are not winners yet, but Ralph is. And she will imbue them with confidence to win. They will win because she is a winner.
Now for a little pessimism about recruiting. Yes, Mike, the rebuild starts this year. Look at this group coming in. But when I juxtapose this incoming class with some players who have been offered for next year, I scratch my head. I just don't get it. Vandy offered a post and I was a little surprised. And now the recent guard. I want to see Ralph build on this incoming class, not drop off.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

She has gotten an offer from Depaul now.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

geeznotagain wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:54 pm Not that it matters, but for curiosity's sake, when a player is "offered", does that offer come from the head coach or the AD or someone else? Is it written (a text or a letter or e-mail) or can it be verbal?
You'll think i'm so dumb i can't spell baskitbal, but if an offer is "accepted", is that binding on either or both? I'm guessing not until a NLI is signed.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:58 pm
You'll think i'm so dumb i can't spell baskitbal, but if an offer is "accepted", is that binding on either or both? I'm guessing not until a NLI is signed.
You're smarter than you think.
DoreFan49
Chief

Post by DoreFan49 »

VandyJim wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:14 pm Further thoughts ....
Ralph has brought in 7 new players, 2 through the portal who were highly rated on Hoopgurlz and 5 frosh who were also highly recruited. I look at these 7 as a major recruiting victory for Ralph and her program. It has been a while since Vandy has brought in a recruiting class as strong as this one. We return two starting guards from injury, add Washington, and add two sophomore guards who played a lot last season. Just stop and think about this group and how promising it is for success. I cannot contain myself at times. We are going to be fine in the SEC, and I predict we will have a major upset victory over an SEC elite on our home floor.
These young ladies are not winners yet, but Ralph is. And she will imbue them with confidence to win. They will win because she is a winner.
Now for a little pessimism about recruiting. Yes, Mike, the rebuild starts this year. Look at this group coming in. But when I juxtapose this incoming class with some players who have been offered for next year, I scratch my head. I just don't get it. Vandy offered a post and I was a little surprised. And now the recent guard. I want to see Ralph build on this incoming class, not drop off.
Just want to add this to your comments. With the thirteen players on the team this year, there is only one player who must be replaced due to graduation or completing her eligibiity. That is Jordyn Cambridge. I believe Bella LaChance may graduate but can return for one more year as a graduate student (a covid year) if she and Shea agree. Jordyn Oliver has two more years of eligibility so she will likely return for another year.

So assuming all the other 10 players return for the 2024-25 season, there are only 1-3 slots to be filled with the 2024 class or the transfer portal. One more top level recruit from the 2024 class and maybe another quality graduate transfer from the portal may be all Coach Ralph needs.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Saw where she visited Penn State earlier in the week. The Nittany Lions, Michigan and Vandy offered within days of each other. No word on where she might visit next.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Locked Previous topicNext topic