Too soon for locker room material???

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Too soon for locker room material???

Post by UltimateVUFan »

https://arkansas.rivals.com/news/sec-ba ... r-rankings

Preseason SEC “power rankings” from Arky Rivals. Consider the source, of course. I’m not surprised to see VU picked last, but the funny thing is how lazy the analysis is. Colin Smith is listed as a “key bench piece” after starting towards the end of last season and outplaying Myles Stute (who is considered a potential starter for USCe) in that role.

Where did all the pundits have VU picked to finish last season before they tied for 4th and made the SECT semis despite playing a lot of games without one of the premier centers in the league??? Hope Stack sees this and starts the motivation early.

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: Too soon for locker room material???

Post by mathguy »

We'll see what ends up happening, but I expect this to be a classic case of "we're better than people expect us to be, and we all know it ... but they clearly don't".

From the outside looking in: Last year we were a mediocre team that got hot late, but still only made the NIT. From that team, we've lost 4 of our top 6 scorers, including Liam Robbins who was far and away the best player on the team and Jordan Wright who was the public face of the team. Then, if you look at new faces, we have some freshmen that may be useful ... but none of them come with 5-star pedigrees or the appearance of immediately being above average SEC starters. And we have some potentially good transfers ... but when I look at lists of top transfers like the two below, I see one list that mentions nothing about our guys, and another that list our departures (Wright #32 and Stute #69) higher than our arrivals (Taylor #97 the only one listed).

Now don't get me wrong. I think Lawrence and Manjon will make a heck of a backcourt. Lubin and Dort are going to be beasts underneath. Smith and Lewis are totally ready to level-up. We should easily be an NIT team this year (something that wasn't at all obvious last year until February) and should have a real chance at the NCAAs if we are able to start well in November and December.

But it's easy to see why someone outside the program might be thinking we are taking a step back.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... s-memphis/

https://n.rivals.com/transfer_tracker/basketball/2023
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

The conference is better all-around. I don’t expect Vanderbilt to finish 4th again, but 8/9/10 is a reasonable prognostication.

BTW: The reviewer left out a key (Lee) player in Dort. He didn’t stay at Vanderbilt to ride the pines. I believe Lee Dort will be an impact player.

Now get me outta here, Percy!
kslaught1957
Seaman

Post by kslaught1957 »

Versus75, Ha, I havent heard that phrase in a long time. I used to like listening to Leonard!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

But you had to cringe waiting for Leh-nud to mention Vandy. And Steve Armistead who did all the impressions. (His brother "Big" George was in Metro Council.) Don Meyer did some good impressions. And a channel 5 news anchor who i can't remember. Harry Chapman?
...See what you started?
I was driving back from St. Louis one Sunday listening to a national sports talk show when "Bobby Bowden" called in. You would swear he was on amphetamines. About 5 minutes later the real Bobby Bowden called in, impressed (!) by the copycat. And last, and certainly least, one of Joe Biddle's (sorry) favorite stories: When Joe Dean came in second in a "Joe Dean Soundalike" contest.
Locked Previous topicNext topic