LSU-Wake Forest

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

LSU-Wake Forest

Post by Levon »

Scoreless thru 7, both Skenes (103 pitches so far) & Lowder (88 pitches) are dealing. Best pitched college game I've seen in a loooong time. Florida is very, very happy right now as they won't see either of these guys until game 3 of the final series on Monday.

Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: LSU-Wake Forest

Post by Levon »

Still scoreless heading to bottom 9th. Lowder pitched 7, Skenes 8 (120 pitches after, I think, 123 vs Tenn in 1st game...yikes). Relief pitchers keeping the shutouts going. What a tremendous, pressure-packed pitching match up this has been!
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Lead ESPN announcer just said LSU pitchers "have struck out nine Vanderbilt hitters"...DOH! Never corrected it to Wake Forest hitters.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

LSU wins 2-0, walk-off 2-run homer in 11th. First pitch from new reliever was a hanging slider just smoked into LF bleachers. I felt bad for the Wake pitcher. LSU-Fla finals should be fun, hope LSU pitching holds up after 5 games this week.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Don't you know florida is salivating after two extra days rest and LSU having extras tonight. Got to give the gators the edge, though I think LSU is the better team.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Levon wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:53 pm Scoreless thru 7, both Skenes (103 pitches so far) & Lowder (88 pitches) are dealing. Best pitched college game I've seen in a loooong time. Florida is very, very happy right now as they won't see either of these guys until game 3 of the final series on Monday.
I want to see if Skenes starts on Monday with just 3 days rest. They don’t even do that in the big leagues these days.

And he pitched a heavy load in each of his first two starts.

Remember: It’s all about the kids. Winning isn’t everything.
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Maybe this has been addressed, but just curious why LSU was the home team in both games against Wake.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Versus75 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:44 pm
Levon wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:53 pm Scoreless thru 7, both Skenes (103 pitches so far) & Lowder (88 pitches) are dealing. Best pitched college game I've seen in a loooong time. Florida is very, very happy right now as they won't see either of these guys until game 3 of the final series on Monday.
I want to see if Skenes starts on Monday with just 3 days rest. They don’t even do that in the big leagues these days.

And he pitched a heavy load in each of his first two starts.

Remember: It’s all about the kids. Winning isn’t everything.
That worries me too. In the 2021 CWS, Kumar Rocker started and threw 5.2 innings against Arizona on Saturday, June 19, and then 6 innings against NC State on Friday, June 25. He then started the 3rd game of the final series against Miss State on Wednesday, June 30 and threw 4.1 very ineffective innings. I don't know how many total pitches he threw, or what part all that played, but he's had arm problems since. Skenes threw, I think, 8 innings in each game totaling 243 pitches in his two CWS starts this week. I really hope he doesn't throw another pitch again for LSU.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

3rdFloorDyer wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:48 am Maybe this has been addressed, but just curious why LSU was the home team in both games against Wake.
Going into their second game, Wake had been HOME 2 of 3 games in the CWS.

LSU had been HOME 2 of 4 games.

Wake Forest had been HOME a greater percentage of its games.

Seems complicated, but I still prefer that to the possible future system in which the higher seed is always HOME. And that may become the rule when the team is also actually at home — in a regional or super — which carries an extra home field advantage.
Locked Previous topicNext topic